Ghost in the Shell (Post-release)

It seems like it's always a loosing situation. They can take anime with characters that are European and cast Asian actors for a live action version, and no one bats an eye.

I already turned the Dr Who thread into a lecture on representation, I don't need to do it here. But you're basically asking why can African Americans have Jet magazine and it's cool, but a white people can't have a magazine without it being racist. It's an argument/position that is flawed and betrays a lack of understanding how prejudice is systematic and not incidental.

Not the point-- again, they did it, and people did not like it and the fallout hurt the movie. Not arguing if the outcry was justified, it's a thing that happen regardless of your or my POV.

The studio could have doubled down on the supporting cast and made Batou somebody more famous and cast an unknown Japanese actor as the major-- but they consider that a risk.

Regardless of it all, it's one of the coolest looking movies I've ever seen.

Interesting argument...
Tell me, where was the bitching when Akira Kurosawa filmed King Leer, renamed it "RAN" and cast all Japanese actors?
The same could be said about A Fist full of Dollars, and The Magnificent seven. They took a basic story and gave it a cultural twist by turning Yojimbo and Seven Samurai into Westerns. However, after reading plans for live action versions of AKIRA taking place in New York, I think I would vomit.

I liked it, id never heard of it before and still dont know what its based on now, i went mainly for the spectacluar visuals, but i enjoyed the movie.

I liked it, id never heard of it before and still dont know what its based on now, i went mainly for the spectacluar visuals, but i enjoyed the movie.

Rent the original.

I just saw the scarjo version last night, still wrapping my head around it. There were some nice visual tips to the original but they went way off. I agree about her being too stiff, it doesn't make sense. Maybe she wanted to separate her performance from Black Widow.

I'm still in the middle of watching it right now, but here are my thoughts.

As a stand-alone (no pun intended) movie, it's a good action flick, if a bit confusing as to why some of the stuff is going on. As a Ghost in the Shell movie, it gets a bit complicated...

First off, they're clearly going for a remake of the original movie. Which wouldn't be bad, except for that this isn't a remake of the original. If they were just remaking the original, even adding in some new ideas, it would have been fine, but they're completely doing their own story on top of the storyboard for the original.

Secondly, they're trying to combine the original movie with SAC: 2nd GIG. Which is a completely different universe. And Kuze has different motives in 2nd GIG, as does the Puppetmaster from the original movie.

Thirdly, they're inconsistent with their world. The Major is the first cyborg, but they have no problems enhancing people's brains on other scales? It just doesn't add up.

I think that, had they just gone with their original story (a bit better fleshed out, though), done a few visual nods to the original (instead of using the same storyboards wholesale), it would have been a much stronger movie.

So... CinemaSins went through it.

"It's like this movie put Blade Runner, The Fifth Element, and Attack of the Clones in
a blender, added Pop Rocks and Diet Coke, smashed it with a baseball bat, then ****ed it.
"

:unsure

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm checking this out tonight!

My wife and daughter are gone for a week, so every night is "WATCH MOVIES TIL I PASS OUT" night...

It's been fun. Last night was Knock Knock... tonight is GOTG2 and THIS.

I saw the first 5 minutes way back, and loved them... can't wait to see the rest.

Yeah it will probably suck, but I've never seen the anime, so maybe I won't hate it.

Side note... Cinema Sins is the WORST.

I agree with the Kong Skull Island director... it's not even criticism... it's click bait.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back