x-wing paint: model vs. full size

Zuiun

Sr Member
Ok, so I know that most people go for one of the studio models when crafting their paint scheme for the x-wing.

I'm curious, has anyone out there gone for the full size Yavin base scheme? There appear to be some significant differences from the models (most notably, the canopy frame appears the same color as the fuselage -- for both the x-wing and y-wing).

Given that I've got probably 8-10 various x-wing kits laying around (waiting for my time), I figure I might give the full size look a try on one of them. But if anyone has already done one, I'd love to see it to get an idea of whether or not it just looks too out of place at the smaller scale.

x-wing.jpg

Interesting question. This is one of those little nitpicks that has Always bothered me as about the films. Surprised the Special Editions didn't try to "fix" the X-Wing used on set.

Personally, when I make a Star Wars model, it is also an homage to the Original ILM model makers. So I try to match that.

Nothing wrong with taking a different approach.

I painted my Bandai 1:144 X-Wing to resemble the original Blue Leader studio model. I believe it was the basis for the paint job on the full scale set piece. I actually like the look of the light colored canopy frame.

Last edited by a moderator:
yaris that looks awesome!

It's a fine line between painting as a filming model replica, or painting for what you see on screen.

All those different color panels were way over exaggerated because most of it would be washed out by both harsh lighting and the finishing process getting it on film

I usually try to go somewhere in between, but looking back at the first X-wing I painted, I painted it like I remembered it. With just white and red, no different color canopy and I kind of like that look compared to the patch work quilt of bright over contrasted colors

Last edited by a moderator:
This was one of the most frustrating things for me was the paint scheme differences between the film and the models and other reference pictures I found.

I decided to go the hybrid route. I combined 5 elements of these references and also made a few up myself to fill in the "gaps".

1. ILM Studio Red 5 (limited reference pics)
2. ILM Studio Red 3 (lots of pic's)
3. Extra Large X-Wing model
4. Still Frames both model and studio scale
5. Myself

IMG_0260_zpsxgedzofo.jpg

My end game was to paint it as life like as possible but also stay fairly true to the models.

IMG_0262_zpsfxhshgsx.jpg

Notice the red markings from the model but the hazard mark from the film. If you look at the still frames, there is yet another hazard symbol above the canopy (not yet painted in here)

IMG_0272_zpsx8enngef.jpg

I may have added a little more wear and tear, rust, and paint chips.... I wanted to paint the entire 30" model with as much damage and weathered detail as possible without over doing it or making it look "muddy".

Anyway, I'll be updating that soon on my X-Wing thread with the final paint job and assembly.

These are some super rad paint jobs, guys! Thanks for sharing!

Given that I've got many kits to play with, I think it'll be easy to experiment with a few different variations, and not lock myself into one concept.

Now to just find that elusive time....

It's such a personal thing.....I may go back and tone down some of the black and add some more 'dirt'...I'm not a fan of any yellow, so I didn't add it and I dislike the barber shop lines on the cannons.....in the end it's what you're happy with.;)

Last edited:
It's such a personal thing.....I'm probably going to go back and tone down some of the black and add some more 'dirt'...I'm not a fan of any yellow, so I just didn't us it and I dislike the barber shop lines on the cannons.....in the end it's what you're happy with.;)
Interesting, the Barber Poll paint is my favorite part.

I teach painting classes at my local "paint and sip". For those of you who are not aware of what it is, it's basically a two hour class where I teach people to paint a single painting using acrylic on a 16x20 canvas. The cool thing about it is, that even though we are all painting the same thing, each person has their own individual style and interpretation.

So to be honest, I really enjoy all the different X-wing versions that people here has put forward here on this site.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back