Revisiting the old ESB screws vs rivets grips question :)

Lol, I think the RPF saber community forgot to drink their collective coffee this morning : /

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yah, but if he'd done a screen grab, we might not have been privy to where he got the image from! Namely, Mark Hamill's Pop Culture Quest.

Did you pay for it Chris? And, what else did you see? Hmm? Hmm?

I really need to pick up a few more Star Wars books. Some of these behind the scene photos are astounding.

Help me Amazoni Can-i-buy you're my only hope!

I wish I could screencap from the app! Black screen when you do.

Now, my iMac is a different story, but I don't use that for prop stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

You know you can just do a screen grab

(Ducks and covers ;))

You're a twit Dave. :lol

Yup.
Thats exactly im im doing.

Whats the matter, dont like being called out on your hypocrisy?

You're not even going to address those posts from that TFA graflex thread that make you far more guilty of what youre accusing me of?

Why dont you tell us again how everyone else in the TFA thread was "seeing what they wanted to see", but somehow you were able to decifer details from blurry photos?

"All TFA sabers on screen have short grips"

How'd that claim turn out for ya?

I don't understand your incessant need to call out one of the most respected members in this community. Sounds like you already know everything the rest of us know which is absolutely nothing in regards to whether or not it's screws or rivets. James can more than take up for himself, but his one point is the one that I hold dear "build what you see". I like rivets because they look like something that would exist in this universe. Screws just seem really basic. How many people see your sabers aside from when you post pics of them? I've seen your work on the FB page. You build wonderful replicas that would incite jealousy amongst most. How about you use all this time and energy grinding up other members to find definitive proof. Do that and I'll rip the rivets out of my ESB and install screws.

Technically all the Stunts had black hex screws embedded in the flash's walls as set screws for the solid metal base for the blade, which sat beneath the socket :lol

*ducks*

@fightercaptured We've both said our peace, best to move forward and keep the prop discussion on topic.

If you think his prop replicas are impressive, you should check out his artwork. He's a gifted artist and his illustrations are stunning. He's an old-timer too, one of the pillars the RPF was built on. He's good people.

Last edited:
Technically all the Stunts had black hex screws embedded in the flash's walls as set screws for the solid metal base for the blade, which sat beneath the socket :lol

*ducks*

This ESB stunt doesn't have any visible hex-head allen bolts, I've wondered if the rivets are holding the blade assembly in the body or just holding the tubes and clamp together.

ESB04-vi.jpg

I don't understand your incessant need to call out one of the most respected members in this community.

Incessent need?
I called him out on one post for badgering me for the EXACT same thing he was guilty of.
Are you telling me that its OK for him to accuse me of something but its off limits to call him out?

As for respected member, ive been a member of this board just as long as he has ( and 13 years longer than you) and Ive contributed just as much as any veteran board member on here, I still respect him for his contributions to this board and ive taken part in plenty of prop discussions with him over the last 14 years.
So , respected or not, please explain why anyone shouldnt be called out?

Sounds like you already know everything the rest of us know which is absolutely nothing in regards to whether or not it's screws or rivets.

Just like he knew everything about the
Grip length of all the sabers that appeared in TFA but everyone else didnt?

James can more than take up for himself, but his one point is the one that I hold dear "build what you see".

"Build what you see"
Kind of ironic considering he said "youre seeing what you want to see".
He also said it to another poster on the TFA thread.

Unfortunately for you i never told anyone they had to use a screw.
People are free to use whatever they want.
The photo i posted was for those members who may want screen accuracy.
This is the main reason for this thread, btw.
In case you werent aware there are some people who might be interested in things like that on the RPF.

The comment that set me off was in regards to my claim that i said the profile of the tall screw head was "clearly" visible.
He repeatedly replied telling me "dont say clearly".

Why shouldnt I say "clearly"?
Im looking at it and I can clearly see it.
I even went ahead and drew a diagram outlining all four screw heads which wasnt even addressed and dismissed.
So because someone else cant clearly see it, I shouldnt say its clearly visible?

In the TFA thread he went on about everyone else not seeing details on the saber because of the angle, but yet he somehow he could see it?
i had no problem with his comment because he felt storngly about it but now hes got an issue with my claim?

Explain that to me?

I like rivets because they look like something that would exist in this universe. Screws just seem really basic. How many people see your sabers aside from when you post pics of them? I've seen your work on the FB page. You build wonderful replicas that would incite jealousy amongst most. How about you use all this time and energy grinding up other members to find definitive proof. Do that and I'll rip the rivets out of my ESB and install screws.

So a second ago you said you use rivets because screws seem basic and thats how it would look in the SW universe, and now youre saying you would rip your grips off for accuracy?

This argument has run its course.

Last edited:
@fightercaptured We've both said our peace, best to move forward and keep the prop discussion on topic.

If you think his prop replicas are impressive, you should check out his artwork. He's a gifted artist and his illustrations are stunning. He's an old-timer too, one of the pillars the RPF was built on. He's good people.

Nothing personal James, you know how it goes on this board sometimes.
I still respect you and your contributions.

I used the bespin corridor scenes for my saber, thinking that if I had to choose one version that would be the coolest due to the upcoming scenes. I used black screws. Not sure they were screws, but I'm pretty sure they were black by the corridor scenes. I did some pic comparisons way back, I'll try and find it.

I used screws because they seemed to look broadly correct (but no more so than a rivet) and are a better place holder/gap filler than rivets due to the ease of removal.

In general I'm not sure screws look any less in-universe than rivets or a type of tamper proof screwhead, but maybe it is because I used to be surrounded by all of these fastener things and they're all pretty mundane to me. I wouldn't want to side with rivets JUSTS because there is a consensus that they're more "in universe". I know we like to form a consensus on these forums because when something is agreed upon it removes uncertainty, this then resembles a truth but it doesn't mean it is actually true. Basically we gotta go our own way until it shows up in real life or under 8k.

I was one of the few people on the RPF to see Han's hoth blaster in the flesh and how very different (but visually similar) it was from the forum consensus. Wouldn't be surprised if the graflex grips used nails.

This ESB stunt doesn't have any visible hex-head allen bolts, I've wondered if the rivets are holding the blade assembly in the body or just holding the tubes and clamp together.

http://media.fotki.com/1_p,rttfbwkb...fkqtdxbrstgdrkk/9/976173/4001324/ESB04-vi.jpg

Interesting! Looks like its completely cast, I haven't seen that before. Also, not that it means anything for the Hero saber(s) but zooming in on that top/middle grip fastener looks to me like a flat phillips screw...

Not a stunt. You can see it here in my photo of my iPad.

- - - Updated - - -

And closer.

Treecrooz, any chance u can send me the files of these pictures so it's not pictures of the ipad screen?

I have never seen these pictures of all the time I've been into Props I've heard of this but never could find it!!

Outstanding!

http://media.fotki.com/1_p,rttfbwkb...fkqtdxbrstgdrkk/9/976173/4001324/ESB04-vi.jpg

Are those rivets on the side of the clamp to keep it steady? They look EXACTLY like the rivets on the kobold, kinda unique to most rivets you can grab from lowes/home depot. If thats the case it means like you said they used rivets that arnt common on the grips, or if they used all that kind of rivet for every prop there is no way they could fit in the cutout for the grips.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back