Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Pre-release)

Based the timeline of her being a baby during the Clone Wars, the oldest Jyn could be is 22 years old in Rogue One, that's a full 10 years younger than Felicity's real age. But I've always thought Felicity looks younger than she is.

she looks so good....

I don't know......i get the feeling we've seen nearly all this film has to offer...

Worried......however, my family is still going to make a special Christmas trip to see it in 3D Imax, what can i say....i'm a Star Wars Nut!

Rich

Krennic apparently had his own cadre. Besides, he doesn't have the CW/ROTS style uniform, and his cap has the Imperial cog on it, so I'm saying post ROTS. How far, I don't know.

--Jonah

Here is a quick question that may go with this time period - Is there a canon reason that armor shifted from Clone Wars to OT Stormtrooper? Thanks!

I'd guess it has to do with design advancement...nothing more.

The clones in Ep II are different than the ones in III for example.

That makes a lot of sense, and you also figure that with going to regular human conscripts/recruits there's going to be a lot more variance in the size of the individual troopers where as with the Clonetroopers everyone was the same exact height and size. This means that you can't simply issue Clonetrooper armor to Stormtroopers because they won't necessarily fit, so you're going to have make entirely new sets of armor for the new Stormtroopers and while they're at it, why not make improvements?

Here is a quick question that may go with this time period - Is there a canon reason that armor shifted from Clone Wars to OT Stormtrooper? Thanks!

i just think of it like cars. we have the same platform cars, but they look different from the US version to the euro version. heck look at the Australian car. though not canon i always pretended armor was made in different parts of the galaxy, giving the different variants. like the small inconsistencies between the OT armor.

I always thought it was rather dumb that the Phase I clone armor (esp the helmet) was influenced from Jango's, presumably as a visual cue (that we didn't need) that he begat the clones. The Phase II armor was better but seemed like an awkward, and rather hamfisted attempt to bridge the Phase Is with the OT TKs. I would've much rather seen GL go with some of McQuarrie's early TK armor concepts. They shared a resemblance to the OT troopers but looked a bit more raw and primitive. The evolution would've been more logical in my mind.

wow, just realized if the flashback is when she was a kid, shouldn't those be clonetroopers?

It depends on how old she is. If she's around 9 (guessing) in that clip, then it fits. Well at least if you figure they transitioned to OT armor withing a few years of ROTS.

Not yet, that I know of. The Republic Commando books (yes I know they aren't canon...) seemed to indicate that the new armor was simplified because new troopers didn't have the extensive training that the clones did.

It's a totalitarian regime mentality. For those that care to know, think Imperial China after the First Emperor: one Basic language, one standard of measurements, one currency, one Empire under one Emperor. Different branches of service, but one singular military force. Individual is subject to the State.

And the real world reason is so they can make more different figures we can collect and build.

I believe the new ashoka book mentions that they started to phase out the clones right after order 66 so perhaps the OT stormtrooper armor has been around a lot longer than we thought.

And I'm glad they didn't use mcquarrie drawings as the inspiration of the clones. I have mad respect for him but I hate walking into a star wars movie and seeing a sketch I saw in a book 20 years ago. It makes me question the creativity of the current design team

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I always thought it was rather dumb that the Phase I clone armor (esp the helmet) was influenced from Jango's, presumably as a visual cue (that we didn't need) that he begat the clones. The Phase II armor was better but seemed like an awkward, and rather hamfisted attempt to bridge the Phase Is with the OT TKs. I would've much rather seen GL go with some of McQuarrie's early TK armor concepts. They shared a resemblance to the OT troopers but looked a bit more raw and primitive. The evolution would've been more logical in my mind.

From what's out there, currently canon as well as on the EU side of the line -- but unlikely to be contradicted for reasons... The Phase I clone trooper armor is an updated and streamlined version of the Republic Trooper armor last seen in the Great Galactic War generations prior, back before the Republic disarmed. Mandalorians were active around the same period, but didn't have a unified "look", wearing whatever armor they could find, or had a preference for. One of the popular models had a T-visor similar to what the Republic Troopers' helmets had... And which was also reflected on other helmets of the day and in the period prior. It was apparently a popular design motif for armor manufacturers of the day. It has not yet been chronicled how that particular motif stuck with the Mandalorians and became part of their modern era look. But that the clone template was a Mandalorian was, honestly, incidental. Sifo-Dyas commissioned the army for the Republic. So the Kaminoans had their subsidiary contractors make Republic armor while they began looking for a suitable candidate.

As for the evolution of the look... There were a lot of issues with the Phase I helmet which showed up only in actual combat. Within a year or so of the Battle of Geonosis, they'd rolled out the Phase II helmet, plus a whole bunch of function-specific additional helmets. Following the Declaration of Empire, even though the Clone Wars were over, there was a lot of resistance to Imperial rule to put down, and scattered rogue Jedi to find and eliminate. So the newly-rechristened Stormtroopers saw their armor continue to develop. While The Force Unleashed's story is probably not applicable any more, I do consider a lot of the trappings to be valid, including the various armors we saw in there. Within a couple years of Order 66, the 'Troopers were wearing what I consider Phase III -- the helmet is more transitional between the Phase II Clone Trooper and the OT Stormtrooper, and the armor is mostly what we recognize as Stormtrooper, but still with Clone Wars era holdovers like separate elbow armor.

I can also see the Empire streamlining production. Two or three common cockpit modules for Imperial fighters that can be equipped with a variety of mission-specific wing panels and other gear, for instance. All the helmet and armor variants in the Phase II era (jumped from half a dozen or so for Phase I to more than twice that in Phase II) required specific manufacturing for all the unique pieces and components. Rogue One shows us that the light infantry we saw on Kashyyyk in ROTS have likely evolved into the Shoretroopers, and the armored-vehicle operators still have their own unique gear, despite the Stormtrooper pilots' gear now being much closer to the base infantry armor and helmet, as in the OT. Over the next few years, the armored-vehicle operators' gear will follow suit, as we saw in ESB. Not sure if the Scouts evolve from the Shoretroopers, or if they were following a separate parallel evolution from the Clone Wars era light infantry...

Now, as far as variations between one film's stormtrooper armor and another's... I need more context, that's going to have to wait til I read Catalyst and see the film. I don't know what the details are for the 'Troopers on Jedah or on Scarif. I theorize, however, that what we see in ANH and ESB is the general-issue Stormtrooper armor, while what we see in Rogue One is some limited-issue elite variant. Special troops getting better kit. I postulate the tube slits are a new feature on this model and that, after use in the field, they find what soldiers for over a century can tell any engineer -- if you make a recess, dirt will get in it; if there are moving parts involved in there, they will jam. No exceptions. I harbor the notion that by the time of ROTJ, this model has evolved into the Stormtrooper armor we saw on Endor (these were the Emperor's best troops, after all). Slightly different shape to the helmets and shoulder bells, different arrangement of details on the abdominal plate, etc. And the tube stripes were back to being nonfunctional.

So all of that is what's driving the evolving look of Stormtrooper armor -- correcting design or manufacturing flaws, attempting to maximize trooper effectiveness, and attempting to minimize costs (within reason). After all, even with billions of eager volunteers, it takes time and resources to train a new Stormtrooper, and those cost money. Cheaper in many ways to work to keep those troopers alive. I know Stormtroopers and TIE Fighters look awfully disposable in the films, but try to remove the Hero Shield filter -- these are the elite shock troops of the Empire, and they've been quite effective at sowing terror and maintaining order through a large chunk of space for years. The Rebellion was in a very precarious position pretty much from when it went public. So many things right around the time of Rogue One/ANH, if any one detail had gone differently, it would've been all over -- at least for a good long time to come.

--Jonah

Last edited:
I asked Pablo that and he said it poses no issues. According to Catalyst section she was a baby during the Clone Wars, and CW lasts 3 years. She is about 8 years old in shots in the new trailer. (Not yet saw any of the 4 year old version of Jyn said to be in the movie..) I am not sure when the Stormtroopers of the ANH look were first issued.

wow, just realized if the flashback is when she was a kid, shouldn't those be clonetroopers?

Last edited:
Even better... So she's supposed to be 19 or 20 in Rogue One? :p Roughly the same age as Luke, Leia, and (if he survives Rebels) Ezra?

As for the Stormtroopers, unless and until something overwrites it, this is what the Phase III Stormtroopers looked like a few months after Order 66 (apologies for the hasste-induced crappy quality):

0928081515.jpg

Give them a few more years and I can easily see them resembling their ANH appearance.

--Jonah

I estimated she could be as old as 22 in Rogue One, we know Felicity is about 10 years older than that, but she does look young for her age in my opinion. Clone Was began 22 years before ANH, she was a baby during them according to Catalyst.

- - - Updated - - -

Even the 4 year old Jyn scenes would be at least couple years after the Clone Wars end, so how would there be any issues?

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back