Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
Re: New Star Trek Series (2017)

Given that it's likely to be an original story I have no problem with them begin "gender blind", it just means (hopefully) that they don't have their minds already made up on the gender of the characters yet and they'll just case whomever they like best for a given role regardless if they're male or female. It's a much bigger deal if they were making some sort of sequel or reboot and saying that they'll be "gender blind", then I'd say that they're playing SJW and wanting to recast characters as the opposite sex just for the headlines.

I dunno.....after the last year with feigbusters, I'm edgy with hollywood 'buzz words'. I wouldn't put it past them to have a chinese captain in this one to appeal to the china audience either.

especially considering, I think, that china put some money into Beyond too IIRC...

modern hollywood seems run more by committee than what's good for the franchise.

I dunno.....after the last year with feigbusters, I'm edgy with hollywood 'buzz words'. I wouldn't put it past them to have a chinese captain in this one to appeal to the china audience either.

especially considering, I think, that china put some money into Beyond too IIRC...

modern hollywood seems run more by committee than what's good for the franchise.

But what difference does it make when it's brand new characters? Is their something in Trek lore that says all captains must be white, Anglo-Saxon males? If so, then they've broken that rule with Sulu being the captain of the Excelsion, Sisko being promoted to Captain, and Janeway on Voyager. So what if they cast the new captain as an female, Asian, trans-gender, homosexual when it would almost certainly be a character we've never see or heard of before, As long as the cast is good I could care less who they cast because we're only dealing with an established universe but not established characters.

Trust me, I'm not one for all of this SJW nonsense and I don't care for the gender bending in the new Ghostbusters, but none of that applies to this new Trek series. The only way that saying being "gender blind" might be SJWing the new Trek is if they have something like Sulu as an Admiral and re-cast him with a woman in the role, Otherwise, all this means is that they not set on any of the roles being played by a specific gender and that all of the roles have currently been written so that they can be played by either a man or a woman, it wouldn't surprise me if each character currently as 2 names, one for if they cast a man in the role and for if they cast a woman.

But what difference does it make when it's brand new characters?

I guess it doesn't, but after the past year, hollywood has me edgy with franchise reboots, or continuations.

but, as you said, this doesn't quite apply to star trek in the same way, so i guess it's something I have to unlearn what i've learned to fear ;o)

although it is paramount........the company that gave us bay turtles...so i don't really trust them to get much right these days.

I was surprised when i saw an article saying the show is trying to get away from having to deal with standards and practices. I know i'm probably a bit behind but I hope they're not going to try and go dark and edgy and emulate the newer Galactica show.

I was surprised when i saw an article saying the show is trying to get away from having to deal with standards and practices. I know i'm probably a bit behind but I hope they're not going to try and go dark and edgy and emulate the newer Galactica show.

SyFy/MGM did it with Stargate, with the result that we all know: Stargate Universe was cancelled after season two!

SyFy/MGM did it with Stargate, with the result that we all know: Stargate Universe was cancelled after season two!
That was really too bad. After a few episodes it really settled into its own and became a pretty great show. There were some pretty original stories on that show

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I don't think that it was so much because it was dark,although that did turn off some fans, I've always felt that its biggest flaw and fatal sin was that it was slow. The first of half of season 1 was super slow, then it picked up a lot during the second half and instead of keeping up that momentum going into season 2 they just slowed back down again and by the time it picked during the second half, they had already lost most of the audience they had left.

I don't think that it was so much because it was dark,although that did turn off some fans, I've always felt that its biggest flaw and fatal sin was that it was slow. The first of half of season 1 was super slow, then it picked up a lot during the second half and instead of keeping up that momentum going into season 2 they just slowed back down again and by the time it picked during the second half, they had already lost most of the audience they had left.
What an ending though, eh? It was total poetry

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

It's because of all the stupid characters really. It was almost like every character was written in a way so that you would start to dislike them... more and more. The more we learned about them the more I disliked most of them. With all the back stabbing each other. It just didn't feel like "StarGate".

Imagine Batman getting rid of all his gadgets, and solely relying on a 44. Magnum. Shooting first and asking questions later, shoot to kill by the way.

I'm still not signing up for All Access. I can find out what the show is about here at the RPF.

I'm still not signing up for All Access. I can find out what the show is about here at the RPF.
Yep. I need fewer monthly bills, not more. Netflix has the rights to broadcast every other Star Trek series, I can wait until they get the rights to this one.

Yep. I need fewer monthly bills, not more. Netflix has the rights to broadcast every other Star Trek series, I can wait until they get the rights to this one.

Actually if All Access flies they will pull all the US Netflix Trek content and put it on their channel.

Actually I just read that Netflix has negotiated a deal to stream the new version of Trek, but only for clients in the rest of the world. They will not be able to stream it to North America - CBS is keeping that for themselves.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back