1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build

Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica

Hi Gang,

The rain never fell and the sun finally popped out! I was able to get a bulk of the back side of the canopy finished. The interesting thing about the cockpit is the transition between the cockpit panels the canopy itself. The panels are of a hard stright edged while the canopy is circular... this is a VERY tough piece to fabricate. Because either way when the rounded canopy is butted up against the straight edged panels either the panel will show or the canopy will show because they do not line up. I think that might be why they used a heavy blanket on the overhead part of the canopy. :)

I used these 10" wide boards because I need to find the circumference of the canopy. It seems like overkill but I prefer to have more material to work with.
20130728_163825_zpse52b8ee5.jpg

I know I'll have to fiddle with the final cuts... getting there...
20130728_172643_zpsfcfe42aa.jpg

I ran out of time... but as you can see... FAR from a perfect fit. I have to fiddle with the two top pieces :)
20130728_181138_zps578b132e.jpg

More to Follow

Last edited:

Even though I've been following this thread for a while, seeing it put together today gave me a chill! It's really impressive.

As far as the fit, I think you're on the right track with the idea of widening the bolt holes to allow more tolerance during assembly. Depending on where it's set up at different locations, the floors may not be perfectly even. Trying to remake the panels to fit exactly could be an endless exercise in frustration. And, honestly, the tiny flaws may seem obvious to you but no one else will even see them. They'll be overwhelmed by the awesomeness! :D

Isn't it time to change the name of this thread to the 1:1 millennium Falcon COCKPIT Replica? :cool

Man, the "assembly" no doubt is the best and as I can imagine, toughest part. They certainly must have taken "Hollywood Liberty" with the blanket covering, or other tricks of the trade to link both the canopy with the rest. But it certainly seems you are heading in the right direction. You haven't stop for the past year and how long since you started this beast???? Keep it up, it is absolutely paying off now!

Isn't it time to change the name of this thread to the 1:1 millennium Falcon COCKPIT Replica? :cool

and damn right Trent!!!!

I thought the door opens and closes automaticaly when someone comes close to it. It might be good to have a sensor eye somewhere hidden inside and outside the cockpit to activate a small motor on the door to achieve that. But if this is a place that will be many people at the same time then i assume the door will be always open :p

-Angel

Nah, that's for Star Trek. I always seem to recall folks in SW pressing a button or panel of some sort to open doors.

Sofaking, seeing it together like that with the door is epic in every sense of the word! When can I make a field trip down to your place??? :D

Fantastic!! Wooooo!!!!!

Thanks! What a day!

- - - Updated - - -

This is SUCH a fun build to follow...great work!

Hi C,

Thanks for the kind words! It's definately been a ride! Luckily, more ups than downs... :)

- - - Updated - - -

I was not ready for this level of excellence first thing in the morning, I now need sugary tea :D

Hey W! Thanks... The alignment is still giving me grief but we're definately getting there!

- - - Updated - - -

WOW !!!!!!

Thanks! :)

Good lord this thing is so bad a**!!!!! That's the only words to describe it. I can't wait to see it lit up man, that's going to be intense!

LOL! Thanks, Fuzz. Every now and then I have to stand back and look at just what exactly is sitting in my garage! When I have the construction hat on, it's difficult to see the forest through all the trees. I'm sure you know exactly what I'm talking about! :)

- - - Updated - - -

One question on the white rectangle "strip lights", which you have yet to add... Didn't the AHN cockpit have strip lights along the lower section of the cockpit (as well as the top), or did they only show up starting with TESB?

Hi T,

Yes, the ANH version did have the strip/bar lights along the lower panels as well. It was just above the shelf that also runs along almost the entire length of the cockpit. I'm not sure how I'm going to approach the lights just yet. I might just paint them high gloss white... Remember, this is just a "static" version that will be used to help promote the build. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Wow . . . speechless. That is just crazy . . .

Thanks, DF! It was a LONG day getting those panels lined up. And even now I have to go back and drill larger holes for the panels to settle a little easier... whew...

Where is it going when it's done? And how do you plan on moving it?

Hi Red,

The plan right now is to hand it off to Chris Lee. If I'm not mistaken, he might have a temporary home for the cockpit so he can showcase the different elements of the FSF to help promote the build. The ideal way of moving is to flip a few switches and fly it to Nashville... but since this is reality... ;) The plan is to take the entire cockpit apart and transport by Uhaul or something similar. People don't realize how big this thing is until they actually see it close up. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Could I come over and have my picture taken in it?

Hi Q,

You're welcome anytime! :)

Even though I've been following this thread for a while, seeing it put together today gave me a chill! It's really impressive.

As far as the fit, I think you're on the right track with the idea of widening the bolt holes to allow more tolerance during assembly. Depending on where it's set up at different locations, the floors may not be perfectly even. Trying to remake the panels to fit exactly could be an endless exercise in frustration. And, honestly, the tiny flaws may seem obvious to you but no one else will even see them. They'll be overwhelmed by the awesomeness! :D

Hi S,

Those are very kind words. Thank you so much. I get those same chills when I add a new element. Adding the door and getting the slide mechanism to work was a HUGE jump. But the canopy... that's going to give me chills when it begins to take shape. Although the build process can be somewhat slow at times, I love taking the time to sand down and fill ALL the little imperfections knowing that paint and greeblies are on the way! I'm looking forward to the day I can sit back and say "I'm Finished". Thanks again and stay tuned for more! :)

- - - Updated - - -

LOL! My fear is that the title will then change to "MF Cockpit with Hallway" to "MF Cockpit with Hallway and Loading Ramp" to "MF Cockpit with Hallway and Loading Ramp and Docking Bay 94"... I blame Starkiller!!! ;)

Man, the "assembly" no doubt is the best and as I can imagine, toughest part. They certainly must have taken "Hollywood Liberty" with the blanket covering, or other tricks of the trade to link both the canopy with the rest. But it certainly seems you are heading in the right direction. You haven't stop for the past year and how long since you started this beast???? Keep it up, it is absolutely paying off now!

Hey Fuzz,

I can't tell you how long I've poured over Starkiller's (AMAZING) 3D model of the cockpit trying to figure out EVERY last detail of the build. I've never done ANYTHING like this cockpit build before so this canopy "transition" is going to be a real challenge - not to mention the canopy itself. Adding the blanket makes/made total sense. It hides the "angle vs ciruclar" transition perfectly! That gives me a little bit of wiggle room should I "mess up".

I can't believe it's been this long and how quickly time has gone by. When I first started the build, I honestly thought... eh... 2 months tops... ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Sofaking, seeing it together like that with the door is epic in every sense of the word! When can I make a field trip down to your place??? :D

Thank you, Sir! I do appreciate the kind words. You are welcome anytime! :) How good are you with an angle finder, mitre saw and braid nailer? ;)

Thank you, Sir! I do appreciate the kind words. You are welcome anytime! :) How good are you with an angle finder, mitre saw and braid nailer? ;)

Actually quite good. Carpentry is another of my hobbies. :)

Sadly though you're in Tennessee right? That's about a 12 hour drive... :(

DANG IT! I'm actually in Alabama so I may have just tacked on another hour or so... ;)

:facepalm You think I could look under your avatar to find that out! :lol

Yep, another 45mins! One day I'll see if anyone here wants to join me for a road trip. :D

Yep, another 45mins! One day I'll see if anyone here wants to join me for a road trip. :D

LOL! Plan the road trip to go to Nashville when the Full Scale Falcon build is in full swing! That would be one heck of a trip / pilgrimage :) And don't forget your tools.

SK: This blows me away with every new stage of the build, you the MAN! (y)D

Count me in!, you can drive to IL and I'd gladly take us the rest of the way (y)cool

SK: This blows me away with every new stage of the build, you the MAN! (y)D

Count me in!, you can drive to IL and I'd gladly take us the rest of the way (y)cool

That would be a blast if we were all able to get together... Good Times

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back