Spacebobs Power Droid Plans

Hey ChrisN I've only just seen your post :)

While looking at screengrabs from the silver screen edition i did see that there was something down there at the back but this is much, much better.

You have made the world a better place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you like the photo. Don't know why it's gone unnoticed over the last 40 yrs. This thread has inspired me to build my own screen accurate Power Droid based on your (spacebob's) dimensions. I'm building it as a costume so I had to increase all measurements by 10% to accommodate me being inside. I'm going with wood because you just can't use storage bins to do a faithful recreation. Hopefully someday someone will find the British trash bin (dustbins) or storage containers that were used for the film and make a casting from it.

I'm halfway done, hopefully I can get some pics up soon. Looking good.

Thanks SpaceBob for the plans and inspiration!

Chris

@ChrisN You are like an angel apearing from nowhere to open a whole new direction of thinking, the rpf thrives on these little revelations.
You won't believe this but as I was looking again at the pic you found i thought..... I recognise that font,

yeah the font.

web4500.jpg

web4500.jpg

I've had this since I was 7. I'm 47 now...

web4501.jpg

web4501.jpg
There it is.... I've had it all this time :)

Last edited:
Boom! That's the book.

I also found that if you go frame by frame on the New Hope blu-ray, especially the scene where the Power Droid runs from the Jawas as they open the door, you can see all sides of detail on him including his left front side when he settles at the extreme left of frame.

Hoping to have my droid finished for the RI ComicCon this November. Now if I could just find 5 minutes to load all the screen grabs I made as well as pics of my build...never enough time.

Chris

Last edited:
I have the same screen grabs from the silver screen edition, Its much clearer and brighter.
The detail from that scene is crazy for the "death star droid" too :)

I will post some pics later, the power droid is the last undervalued droid really, so many tub gonks, even in the prequels...

I've had this for a while too.

webgnk847.jpg

I have only just found this pic on my computer after not being able to find it for ever, so exciting
webgnk847.jpg

I was on holiday in Mevagissey in Cornwall years ago and I saw a Osmaflow tub being used for storing fresh fish on the quayside and recognized it immediately.
It wasn't the right size but i shares the overall details for the tub we are looking for. Sadly this was the only pic i can find from holi snaps.

I tried googling the codes but nothing, looked on ebay and gumtree at the time and nothing.
I bet these tubs are in thousands of lofts in the UK being used for cold water tanks :)

Last edited:
No @oota goota not to my knowledge. It is an osmaflow as the sticker says, but the corect model? I guess the codes on that last pic are a good place to

webgnk847.jpg
start but I've had no luck so far :)

Last edited:
Another possible clue - during the making of Return of the Jedi, the Power Droid being tortured by 8D8 in Jabba's Palace was referred to as the "dustbin droid." Dustbin makes me think they were calling it what it was made of - 2 trash bins on top of one another, not necessarily storage tubs. Still didn't help when I tried variation of that in a Google search though.

Just a thought.

I've stated this once before(not here), but I'm willing to bet money it's not a storage or dust bin.
Ive been sure for a long time now that it's a cold water feed tank.
Also sometimes called a loft water tank.
They are used to collect rain water.
Ive never really tried searching it out, but if any of you like looking for stuff like this, give those names a try.
Robert

Oh and if it's somehow discovered and I'm right... you heard it here first.;)

usajdm
That's it man you have found them, the ones I saw were smaller but those look about right. What website is that on, a plumbing site? Are there dimensions?

- - - Updated - - -

The lid looks like a part of the falcon cockpit too :)

Last edited by a moderator:
So do I win a prize?

Looks like they can be purchased through auction sites in the UK.
Those pictures are just off google.
I see your in the UK.
I suggest you start calling suppliers in your area and ask if they have any old stock.
Id stay hush about why you want them though.
Thats when the price will skyrocket.
Good luck,
Robert

Just putting "loft water tank" in google I had to look at the TPM gonk to see if that ugly-*** one came from one of those... cuz it looks like a possibility.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back