37 1/2 inch (1/2 studio scale) TOS Battlestar Galactica scratchbuild #2

Quick update for everyone, last couple of days have been buys, ice storm monday, snow yesterday, home with kids=no kits shipped out, it's put me a few days behind my expected shipping schedule. Shipping resumes today.

It's important to note that i have been casting non stop on these, most kits are fully or nearly done, even the late comers, just need to be packed and shipped. It's a real big kit and big box, so i can really only ship 1 per day. I'll be caught up on shipping in the next week or so. Thanks to everyone who has been patient, i really do appreciate it.
thanks
mike

Quick update for everyone, last couple of days have been buys, ice storm monday, snow yesterday, home with kids=no kits shipped out, it's put me a few days behind my expected shipping schedule. Shipping resumes today.

It's important to note that i have been casting non stop on these, most kits are fully or nearly done, even the late comers, just need to be packed and shipped. It's a real big kit and big box, so i can really only ship 1 per day. I'll be caught up on shipping in the next week or so. Thanks to everyone who has been patient, i really do appreciate it.

thanks
mike

No,Thank you and it is we who appreciate what you are doing immensely!

Last edited:
Sorry, busy week, I'll Pm you back, but the kit is on hold for new orders until spring, does not effect anyone who I have made arrangements with.
mike

Ok, for those of you guys who's kits are starting to show up, a few comments/pointers.

A small list of recommended building supplies.

4x 1/4-20 x 1 inch bolts for the landing bay to arm connections.
2x 1/4-20 x 1 1/2 inch bolts + washer and nut combo for neck to body connections.
2x 1/4-20 x 3 1/2 inches + nut and washer combo for main body to engine support connection.
Some scrap plywood for reinforcement.
5 minute epoxy glue
CA glue.

A small assortment of evergreen strips and round, notably some .25, .30, .35, and .40 round/pipe assortments.

Despite my best efforts some of the delicate pipe details can be lost, usually upon demold at stress points in the mold, some in noticeable spots on the head. It's not terrible but they will need to be restored. If i wind up remolding this, these are details I would leave off the pattern and have the modeler add them during construction. Things like this are often hard to predict in advance when making the pattern, and the molds are so expensive, and the casting so expensive that I can't discard them for these reasons. a flat exacto and a half an hour of work on the builders part should make quick work of any of these issues.

The other assorted bits of styrene chips can be used to add extra detail, or if there are any miscasts in any of the greeblies, which i try to avoid at all costs but are an unfortunate reality, a little chip detail will hide the imperfection.

I don't want to alarm anyone thinking there is a lot of messed up castings going out, but there will be some of the usual clean ups with a garage kit of this complexity.

I will hopefully get some more formal instructions up soon to cover the above issues and more on construction soon.

Casting in trucking along, and I am shipping a kit every day or so now.

I did hit a rough patch with school cancellations and winter weather over the last week and a half, 5 out of 9 days were impacted and delayed shipping. I expect to be making a big push to pack and ship kits right before and right after the holiday.

thanks everyone.
mike

Well, Christmas came early at my house this year!

Amazing mastering, in a very tough subject, with lots of very recognizable if smaller than normal greeblies. The rest, that Mike as he says "took liberties with" look appropriate in all spots to my eye. Great job Mike!

After saying holy hell for the 20th time, and collecting myself and starting to try to figure out how I want to take advantage of how Mike made things easier for lighting, and of course, being me, how to hog out the landing bays to do a deeper bay insert that's back lighted . . . and maybe add some fiber from a strobe driver for the landing lights . . .

I stepped back, and went, HOLY HELL again! (Thats 21 for those counting) And just started enjoying what lay before me.

GREAT job Mike.

Now, to those who are not yet fortunate enough to get one of these, I offer the following. It is a kick ass "kit", of something I never would have even tried to tackle on my own in this size, but as Mike has made ABSOLUTELY CLEAR, this isn't a injection molded mass produced kit. Its a GARAGE, or I think in Mikes case, SHED kit, and while Mike did his usual awesome job of molding and casting, some things will need some fixing and given some extra love.

ANYTIME you have something that's cast with this level of small detail, there will be air bubbles and the odd area that requires some TLC. I don't think I've seen the small detail on any kit this size come out this clean, even the Y-wings from back in the day which were pressure cast (these were not) had details that required some love. There WILL be filling of some greeblie parts air bubbles on mine, and some "mold tear resin boogers" to chisel out, some small bits of mold to dental pick out before priming and some of the greeblies I may just replace as oppose to trying to repair. But I am still amazed at what is sitting before me. And even MORE thankful that Mike, being Mike, went ahead and offered it up to the masses.

Anyone who buys this, and bitches, deserves a swift punch in the mouth. And then, when you pick yourself up off the floor, go build a better one, that's perfect, and hit Mikes ridiculously low price point. Oh, that's right, Kitty got wet! YOU CAN'T!

Kudos Mike, yet again you bring the goods home

Thanks and I can't wait to get started on this bucket!

Ryan

Crap again, pictures blocked at work. Can you load them using the "attachment" feature in the thread? Anyone planning to have one finished for Wonderfest?

Thanks Ryan, just a quick note, that these are pressure cast, but there are sooooo many (thousands really) of details that on any given pour, there is a chance of an airbubble on any given part. To hit my price point it's just the way it is, the good news is that with a little evergreen strip or greeblie pile it should not be an issue, especially since it's not a detail for detail reproduction anyway.

The difficulty casting these, again even pressure cast with all the layers and layers of details, may result in this being a one run pony, then all done, not sure, I'm exhausted!
mike

Well, Christmas came early at my house this year!

Amazing mastering, in a very tough subject, with lots of very recognizable if smaller than normal greeblies. The rest, that Mike as he says "took liberties with" look appropriate in all spots to my eye. Great job Mike!

After saying holy hell for the 20th time, and collecting myself and starting to try to figure out how I want to take advantage of how Mike made things easier for lighting, and of course, being me, how to hog out the landing bays to do a deeper bay insert that's back lighted . . . and maybe add some fiber from a strobe driver for the landing lights . . .

I stepped back, and went, HOLY HELL again! (Thats 21 for those counting) And just started enjoying what lay before me.

GREAT job Mike.

Now, to those who are not yet fortunate enough to get one of these, I offer the following. It is a kick ass "kit", of something I never would have even tried to tackle on my own in this size, but as Mike has made ABSOLUTELY CLEAR, this isn't a injection molded mass produced kit. Its a GARAGE, or I think in Mikes case, SHED kit, and while Mike did his usual awesome job of molding and casting, some things will need some fixing and given some extra love.

ANYTIME you have something that's cast with this level of small detail, there will be air bubbles and the odd area that requires some TLC. I don't think I've seen the small detail on any kit this size come out this clean, even the Y-wings from back in the day which were pressure cast (these were not) had details that required some love. There WILL be filling of some greeblie parts air bubbles on mine, and some "mold tear resin boogers" to chisel out, some small bits of mold to dental pick out before priming and some of the greeblies I may just replace as oppose to trying to repair. But I am still amazed at what is sitting before me. And even MORE thankful that Mike, being Mike, went ahead and offered it up to the masses.

Anyone who buys this, and bitches, deserves a swift punch in the mouth. And then, when you pick yourself up off the floor, go build a better one, that's perfect, and hit Mikes ridiculously low price point. Oh, that's right, Kitty got wet! YOU CAN'T!

Kudos Mike, yet again you bring the goods home

Thanks and I can't wait to get started on this bucket!

Ryan

Congrats on getting Christmas early and thanks for the pics.

I hope to have a HD youtube reference video up in a few days that may be useful and I'm so looking forward to receiving mine - WHOHOO!

hi Mike its Christmas and i ask Santa Claus a gift ... the 1/2 inch (1/2 studio scale) TOS Battlestar Galactica kit , can you please give me a feedback , i sent you a pm

thanks and Merry Christmas

Woohoo! The model looks fantastic! Question though. I see what appears to be transparencies for the landing bays. Shouldn't the image for one of those be "reversed" for the opposite bay?

Otherwise, it looks freakin fantastic!

If they're transparencies, can't you just turn one of them around? lol

TazMan2000

Woohoo! The model looks fantastic! Question though. I see what appears to be transparencies for the landing bays. Shouldn't the image for one of those be "reversed" for the opposite bay?

Otherwise, it looks freakin fantastic!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back