ZVEZDA STAR DESTROYER heavy conversions by Nikter

I noticed that too. Given the orientation of the detail on the side of the tower, I would think the whole beastie needs to move. This is semi-on topic, too, since this thread is covering what would be major modifications. Good for all builders, not just the OP.

i added just 1.2 mm to my sidewalls with (3/64") rod and i think it's just right..feel free to chime in...modification to the engine section doesn't appear to be needed with this small increase. DSC_4942.jpgDSC_4944.jpgDSC_4945.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

more picsDSC_4946.jpgDSC_4949.jpgDSC_4950.jpgDSC_4951.jpg

Thanks for posting that WIP. I think I will try to impart that method with some .060 square styrene rods. I will be very interested to see how your engine area fits together with that added bump between the top and bottom hulls and the engine area being one solid piece to fit. I saw one WIP where the fella had no side trench increase on the rear trench section and beefed the forward sections up by 2.5mm at the bow, on down to 2mm for the second section on back to 1 mm, so his has a definite taper and his explanation was so the engine area would fit without gaps to fill and detail.

And you know something...it works much much better than I pictured it would. I'd love to modify the whole tower, but I'm struggling seeing how to go about it.

i put the tower together and dry fitted to the top section then worked out what part was stopping it from sitting level.
for mine i just modified the slots and sanded down the bottom of the front section and will fill in the gaps with a bit of styrene on the bottom at the rear partsDSC_4959.jpgDSC_4958.jpgDSC_4957.jpg

i put the tower together and dry fitted to the top section then worked out what part was stopping it from sitting level.
for mine i just modified the slots and sanded down the bottom of the front section and will fill in the gaps with a bit of styrene on the bottom at the rear partsView attachment 713337View attachment 713336View attachment 713335
Thanks, that's really helpful! Hey, do you think you'd mind pulling the tower off (assuming it's not been cemented yet) and taking a shot of the whole side to get a really good look at what you did to the slots?

sorry its stuck on....you just have to make the rear slots parallel to the bottom and straight panel details then sand down the bottom of the front section till it sits right.
if i was a bit more careful i could of done a better job but some filler will make it ok.

The three foot miniature from ANH was built with a taller trench in the front compared to the rear. This forced perspective was done because well, the model was only three feet long and needed a greater sense of scale.

But again, great work on your SD there nikter. I think I've been following your build on FB too, unless someone else is doing the same mods.

4 feet long, but yes, still on the small side considering the size of the ship.

anyone have any pics of the darker pattern paint parts for the top and bottom?
also is the final paint finish matt?

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back