232 and 223 Droid Pods

Paul, great to see you blazing the trail in refining the build of this model! You got me starting to acquire the necessary kits to build one now.

To be honest Dave I rather feel I've spent more time trying to stamp out the flaming errors my trail blazing seems to have caused more than anything else.I really didn't think I'd have to crack the hulls open again, but its done now.
Really there have been so many well researched builds here before this that I thought this would be an easy thing to get on with. It looked like a fairly simple introduction to studio scale building that owed alot to the many people who had well documented their builds before hand with their good ideas and differing approaches and its hugely surprising to find that its suddenly turned out not entirely to be so straight forward.
But then like most SS models here I certainly would never have made the progress I have made over the years in my many builds if it were not for the constant generocity of those that have contributed tremendously to this hobby and forum. Not a chance in hell, I'd still be building the stuff I built as a lad.
And thats why this forum and everyone who contributes to it is so valuable. Everytime somebody posts something new here that they have discovered, be it a small part or a lost photograph or even a better way to build something it lifts everybodies game.And that makes us all better builders.
Can't wait for "Rogue One". Can't wait to see some old familar ships on the big screen again. And I can't wait to see what else turns up for this build !!!!!

Why the photoshop?

I believe what Jason is trying to show is that instead of the flat hexagonal engine base ,like on the 232, what is actually in there is a cone, around which the bottom of the 223 hulls are arranged. The bottom of the rims then sit upon the top of the cone and there are no pieces arranged around them, just a void. The nearest part I can find to this is the Saturn cone (as used in a lot of builds, particularly the y wing engines) which maybe cut down. Without the rims to play with I cannot really tell, they may have cut those slightly down, or the cone is cut in two and reversed .I only noticed last night when I was trying to sort out parts for my Dave G Y wing build. Hopefully Jason will be able to fill us in later, but I'm not going to crack the hulls again until I find out!

Hummmm, came across this: Lucasfilm Archive tour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79Ulc5nENgY&list=PLWwNk1eYnM3mfWNPG8zvfCR4XDfGmKyiw

If you go to the 8:21 mark ,virtually at the end ,you can just about see the two pods behind the Darth Vader mask. Interestingly the 223 on the right looks like its front is recessed . This kind of supports the observation that Jason made with the 223 pod being the one shooting away from the camera, the 232 towards. If its (223) engines were lit then wires leading from the front to the back would make sense.

Ahhhh...gotcha.

I believe what Jason is trying to show is that instead of the flat hexagonal engine base ,like on the 232, what is actually in there is a cone, around which the bottom of the 223 hulls are arranged. The bottom of the rims then sit upon the top of the cone and there are no pieces arranged around them, just a void. The nearest part I can find to this is the Saturn cone (as used in a lot of builds, particularly the y wing engines) which maybe cut down. Without the rims to play with I cannot really tell, they may have cut those slightly down, or the cone is cut in two and reversed .I only noticed last night when I was trying to sort out parts for my Dave G Y wing build. Hopefully Jason will be able to fill us in later, but I'm not going to crack the hulls again until I find out!

Cutthumb, I think the video is showing the internal armature. The "cap" is missing.

Good thinking George, you're probably right. A lot of the original models used seem to have parts missing of them ,so that would make sense. having looked at a number of peoples builds here those that lit their engines have taken the wiring through to the top and out exactly the same way as that internal armature suggests. As this is featured in the rear shot and they didn't have LEDs back in the day then it would seem to be the easiest option for a bigger lighting device. Picked up another kit yesterday ,a 312B for a reasonable price.

Hi George, there is movement all be it very slowly, I'm waiting a couple of kits to come and then I'll ready for the off again. I'll probably have to ask you about the best way to cast the engine parts as I've finally managed to get hold of the three Tamiya racing kits (from Japan takes a while to the UK). As far as I know there is nothing much to worry on the 232 except to leave the base about 5mm below the lip and probably leave the inside of that as it is. With the 223 Jason was going to ask the question on the base, but whether he got an answer or not we are still waiting to hear(I hope).

For my nose I'm just going to put a flush plate and greeblie it up. It has come to my attention that the engine is NOT a kit but more like a turned piece. It is too big to be a car rim.

So I guess two of these were a waste of money then:

2016_1115waxwings0001.jpg

I find that slightly annoying.

And you could even build them as cars...:D
They're cracking kits and as Marvin has pointed out, they're very useful for a lot of other studio scale projects, not just Star Wars related.

New reference came my way. Mine are wrong now, too. It happens all the time in this hobby. Sucks, but you have to emotionally prepare for that.

In comparison to the thousands of dollars some of the people here must have forked out over the years to build SS models its hardly the end of the world. I'm just fairly frustrated that what seemed to be a straight forward buiId that I hoped would take a couple of weeks has turned out to be the complete opposite. Such is life, minor set back, press reset, try again I guess.
What it has done has increased my appreciation of all the effort thats involved in accurate SS building and just why these projects can get somewhat ,and I'll be polite here, a bit "competitive". At least with the full resin kits with a bit of tidying up and careful study of the photo reference you can get it all done with in a fairly short timescale.
Just out of interest for anyone thinking of having ago I've listed all the kits prices I've coughed up for so far from the UK in the last few weeks though a couple came from Japan
Lotus £60
Brahams £75
312B £95
Tamiya 8rads about £15-£20 each so say £100.
Tamiya 223 five for £50
Tamiya 38s five for £23
Morser Karls five for around £100
Plastruct/EMI parts around £30
Panzer III Auf £26

I know there are parts used in other SS builds having looked at the spures but its not something I will ever be doing I just haven't got the patience as I get older . If I get the Y wing , the Probe droid and the pods done then thats it , though I will use whats left on a couple of scratchbuilds designs I've wanted to do for years. Dread to think what the really complex SS models would cost to do with all original parts, but if you're build up a library of kits perhaps it all even outs. Still have to learn how to cast the 312b parts though which is annoying, I'd have preffered to skip that altogether now I don't need the rims.
On the plus side there is a strong demand for the Tamiya car kits thanks to all the interest in Formula One at the moment so even completed cars are fetching reasonable prices so I'll probably build these and sell them on like Rats suggests, though some of the decal sets will need to be replaced.

I would of course be very interested to see what the actual solution to the engine parts is.

yep, that's where it all started for me lol
now I have all the kits for the atst, tie bomber, 223 & 232
good luck on restraining your self :)

yes I'm starting this project and a reposting of the photos on the first page would be very kind. Thank you. I know it would take some time so if you get a chance that would be great. Thanks for sharing the info. Hats off to those who came before and sharing what you have learned. I'm always late to the party. This hobby is very addictive! So much fun and so much hard work. In the end its all worth it. Like everybody else I want mine to be as close to the filming model as i can get it. Reaching for the gold cup....it just slips away....but I try.....

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back