Rogue Troopers

Yeah, those awful SE Sandtroopers in the SAME scene with ANH troopers....

The ROTJ squidgy armor, ROTJ paint job/details, shrunken foam mat pauldrons and fan made looking backpacks. Next to those, the R1 armor is ALMOST tolerable.

Yes I've read your theory.

It is a possibility but I respectfully believe otherwise.

I truly believe that what we are seeing are standard stormtroopers.

Putting aside everything else here is my reasoning behind this :

In 96/97 (?) when they shot additional footage for the Special Edition, they did the same terrible job as far as continuity is concerned.

They wanted to extend the 'Look Sir droid' scene with additional sand troopers and Cgi Dewbacks.

Prop wise they had everything they needed in the archives to shoot the scene properly as only 4 suits were needed, but instead, decided to use( ROTJ styled) Tour Suits.

For me that's one of the most unwatchble scenes in the SE of ANH, (original stormtroopers being my main focus of interest, hobby wise).

Putting aside the general public (the 99 % as you say) I would be hard pressed to believe that no reasonable SW enthusiast has never noticed.

They are on screen long enough, unlike a resin blaster or a saber variation hanging from a belt for only a few shots.

On second viewing my 8 years old nephew asked me why the Trooper with the electrobinoculars and the ones walking in the sand looked different to the 'someone was in the pod' /'look sir droids' troopers.

Universe wise you could always/also say that it is an elite sand trooper squad, that's why they are so different : sure why not.

My own personal preference is : I don't like it,

the filmmakers were not too concerned with continuity and used what looked good to them at the time, only a very small fraction of individuals would scrutinize this stuff, etc... etc.

Maybe you don't care, maybe you like the SE , all of this is fine.

I'll see R1 , I'm looking forward to it but yes I had expectations and hopes.

Having exceptions and hopes doesn't mean you expect them to be met.

I knew they wouldn't.

Thank god this board is here to discuss these things with people that share your opinion and others that don't, even if I think this discussion would be more suited in the screen used original prop section of the forum.

I know how you feel, for years as a child I thought the tube stripes were concave. Only to find that they were stickers when "reading" the visual dictionary. "Heck! They were stickers (painted detail) this whole time?" It was even more amusing when the dictionary gave the stickers functions.
I like functional props and I find the OT stormtrooper armour to be deeply disappointing up close.

The new design looks like it holds up to scrutiny much better.

This sort of reminds me of the of the whole ROTS Vader debacle. They corrected the "mistakes" of the OT Vader, resulting in a symmetrical helmet, and the purists hated it. The fact is there is no in universe/real world justification for a lopsided, bumpy, asymmetrical anything in the Star Wars universe, nor was there meant to be. Due to time and monetary constraints the came up with imperfect representations of the items in the film with no expectation that anyone would devote this much attention to anything in what was originally a crappy kids film that nobody believed in and the studio nearly shut down.

The R1 stormtroopers are no different. Whether they're idealized, improved, or whatever the rational for the changes is, and more importantly, whether you like it or not, that's simply the fact. Remember how complaining made the prequels so much better? Yeah, same thing applies here.

To a point, you are right and I have done my fair share of b*#tching about the revisionist ANH Stormtroopers.

I have absolutely no issues with cleaning up the warts on a sculpt or making it symmetrical. I actually prefer that they be symmetrical
(have you seen an ANH Stormtrooper helmet in the mirror?) and I don't think either Vader or the Stormie's look is
dependent on the asymmetry present on the original sculpts.

HOWEVER, I think in the case of the EP3 Vader, it was the grotesque changing of the proportions (the dome is way too big) and details of the helmet that people dislike.

I'm no Vader expert, but I can spot an EP3 helmet any day, it just looks OFF.

Same goes for the R1 Stormtroopers. They are grotesquely changed on a macro level.

Every. Single. Part. is wrong in overall shape and detail. They could have easily cleaned up the originals warts and asymmetry without destroying the look, but they went too far.

This sort of reminds me of the of the whole ROTS Vader debacle. They corrected the "mistakes" of the OT Vader, resulting in a symmetrical helmet, and the purists hated it. The fact is there is no in universe/real world justification for a lopsided, bumpy, asymmetrical anything in the Star Wars universe, nor was there meant to be. Due to time and monetary constraints the came up with imperfect representations of the items in the film with no expectation that anyone would devote this much attention to anything in what was originally a crappy kids film that nobody believed in and the studio nearly shut down.

The R1 stormtroopers are no different. Whether they're idealized, improved, or whatever the rational for the changes is, and more importantly, whether you like it or not, that's simply the fact. Remember how complaining made the prequels so much better? Yeah, same thing applies here.

Watching that video i'd swear the trooper suits i saw didn't match up completely with the high rez photos a few pages back...

looks to be a banging good time, regardless, and the newer shinier suits should hold up in high def..... I'll see it multiple times, but will always love my own personal squadron. (RS, GF HERO, AP STUNT, ESB MKII, CFO ROTJ endor, and CFO deathstar, ANOVOS white and shadow, too.....and the 70 other helmets.......so is there love for the new suit? eitherway. one belongs with the rest. crank out an RPF special, and it will have buyers for sure....

Last edited:
I'm not a big fan of the new Stormtrooper armor, I understand they needed to upgrade the suits for today's HD cinematics where the classic one with bumps and warts couldn't quite fit in, but there are things on the new armor that look very weird. Though the Stormtrooper helmet has some interesting upgrades like the ears and the tube vents

Funny thing is you guys debate about details on the white standard Stormtrooper costumes, yet to 95+ percent of the public, it's not noticeable. It's fine to bring it all up, but also you must realize a very tiny percentage of the public and fan community notice these things. Most people are not "rivet counters.";)

Funny thing is you guys debate about details on the white standard Stormtrooper costumes, yet to 95+ percent of the public, it's not noticeable. It's fine to bring it all up, but also you must realize a very tiny percentage of the public and fan community notice these things. Most people are not "rivet counters.";)

You forgot where you are, don't you? I'll remind you: this is RPF! ;)

As this is the RPF we more should discuss HOW they can be replicated, not if they meet our hopes and wishes. We don´t have to judge what they decided to make/use, we have to accept what is used and start from that point.

If someone don´t likes them - don´t build or buy. Get the props you like. There are many props from each SW movie i wouldn´t even waste time to think about.

- - - Updated - - -

You forgot where you are, don't you? I'll remind you: this is RPF! ;)

And for sure they make these movies for the 99%, not for us - even if we would like it otherwise. :lol

As this is the RPF we more should discuss HOW they can be replicated, not if they meet our hopes and wishes. We don´t have to judge what they decided to make/use, we have to accept what is used and start from that point.

This is a fascinating quote coming from you. :lol

We don´t have to like it. :D

It´s more or less the same kind of acceptance we needed to show when we were told all those canon books, they made a lot of money with, are no longer canon - to enable them to bring a new storyframe. And then we got the ****ty TFA. :rolleyes

Same as the crappy OT suits - i don´t like them, but i can´t negate they were used. So i had to decide if i can live with it, and i decided to go a more idealized way. But they are still in the movie.

webtc101.jpg

Just watched it, man John Knoll has got an awsome "hobby" recreating the death star, he could use @SteveStarkillers falcon to go in there :)

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back