Homecoming "Flip Up Mask" as Half Faceshell?

Troy Cavalieri

So the new cheap toy Spider-Man mask from homecoming is this half mask with a cloth bottom that flips up.
https://www.amazon.com/Spider-Man-H...qid=1498803907&sr=8-7&keywords=spiderman+mask
SPIDER-MAN-HOMECOMING-FLIP-UP-HERO-MASK.jpg

I know it's different than the Ultimate Spider-Man mask that many use as an inexpensive faceshell, but does anyone have any experience in using it as a half faceshell? I haven't really seen that done with this mask, or really any spider-man faceshells for that matter. Are the edges really noticable with this mask?

So the new cheap toy Spider-Man mask from homecoming is this half mask with a cloth bottom that flips up.
https://www.amazon.com/Spider-Man-H...qid=1498803907&sr=8-7&keywords=spiderman+mask
View attachment 739935

I know it's different than the Ultimate Spider-Man mask that many use as an inexpensive faceshell, but does anyone have any experience in using it as a half faceshell? I haven't really seen that done with this mask, or really any spider-man faceshells for that matter. Are the edges really noticable with this mask?

I think theSavvySpider used this in his build. In his build thread he posted pics of those lenses on top of his homemade mask and used that mask as a face shell. You can check it out here https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=277866

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it would work really well because remember it keeps the shape of the mask but also stretches the mouth when you talk which is movie accurate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The only problem I discovered when I tried to do this was the obnoxious line at the base of the half shell that protruded through the mask, but if you could find a way to overcome that I think it could work nicely. The shell would probably have to be warped at the bottom to be flush with the face, which might require some custom work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The shell would probably have to be warped at the bottom to be flush with the face, which might require some custom work.

Hm, interesting. Thanks for the reply. Do you think that using a heatgun would suffice? Does it just need a little bit of warping or is it more of a big adjustment?

I guess if it doesn't work I could just get the Ultimate mask and cut it the right shape.

Hm, interesting. Thanks for the reply. Do you think that using a heatgun would suffice? Does it just need a little bit of warping or is it more of a big adjustment?

I guess if it doesn't work I could just get the Ultimate mask and cut it the right shape.

Perhaps? The plastic is rather thick, and I’m not sure how you’d warp it to be flush without having a custom mold done or sticking a heat gun uncomfortably close to your face while you wear it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back