Battle starship

Yuumi-san , you mentioned awhile back that you're retiring this year after working for an airline company . I was just wondering , did/do you have any architectural,engineering or design background as well ? . Asking 'cause your attention to detail is incredible . Looking forward to more updates in the future . Wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas . :)

Thanks for the comment, gedmac66-san,
No, I don't have any particular experiences of learning those skills.
I've only been loving a designing and 3Ding. I love drawing and hand crafting furnitures.

Very Merry Christmas, gedmac66 san,

Really coming together! Keep up the progress. I look forward to the 2017 updates with bated breath.

Have a good New Years! (If that's even a thing in Japan...)

--Alex

Thank you very much, Alex-san,
I'm looking forward to post up next progress.

Wonderful updates and a beautiful model.

I love that each of your projects are different in style and medium than the ones you've done before.

Definitely looking forward to seeing the project continue to unfold in the new year.

Thank you very much Snow Builder-san.
I always enjoy trying something new.

Again, I thank you very much for all the kind support through the year.
Hoping all of you have very Merry Christmas and a happy new year.

Looking good ! I can't help but wonder what it might look like in a battleship grey with off tones, dark shadowy areas, and LED lighting....hmmmm

Plus be on the look out for those pesky space submarines...wait, I guess it's a battleship too !

2d843c2ba0b12621619678a48fe8221f.jpg

Many thanks for your constant support.

Here are some updates.

Continuing to detail up the circle things.

To hold the inner ring in center position, I came up with this idea.

P_20170117_083442_zpsex6wwwoi.jpg

Carefully put these in between the rings.

P_20170117_084541_zpsdqkflydt.jpg

P_20170117_085701_zpszrevwioj.jpg

P_20170117_085652_zpsidnvfigr.jpg

Back side

P_20170117_085708_zpsv6zj75zw.jpg

P_20170117_091604_zpslgdnrv5a.jpg

P_20170117_112209_zpstk8uwv0m.jpg

P_20170117_113656_zps3yhgedn6.jpg

P_20170117_113527_zps88ddzmvc.jpg

P_20170117_114136_zps3ukdc9ef.jpg

P_20170117_114211_zps7zbviwph.jpg

Since I put the small mirror behind the ring, it looks deeper. It's a little cheat but I thought it's funny.:D

Also I built mid deck's structures.

P_20170117_113932_zpse9klih9u.jpg

P_20170117_114041_zpsygcpgfga.jpg

P_20170117_114323_zpsrlunehuv.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Katsu

I was wondering, Do you make the details up as you go along or have you made a reference-drawing or some such in beforehand? Amazing details and awesome job!

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! Great update, looks like a good start for the new year.

The kind comment by the top notch great builder like you always makes me proud of myself and tos me high up.

I was wondering, Do you make the details up as you go along or have you made a reference-drawing or some such in beforehand? Amazing details and awesome job!

Thank you very much for your comment.

When I about to build my model, whatever it's the entire shape or small part of the model, all I have is the vague image of the shape and some rough skeches.
May be it's just like when you create a new automobile.
I think you'll never draw a detailed plans with each sizes or dimensions at the first place. If you do the things like that, the model appears in front of you will be not that what you wanted to create. Instead, you will grab a handful of clay or cardboard and make it build up until you got the exact shape you wanted to have.
Now then when you started to build the actual model with the real materials.
Again you will be realized that you need to think that is it a right material for this model or not.

When you build a detailed part.
You have to keep thinking that how can you make this parts looks better and createive than that of other part of the models you've ever seen.
All these are going along the way you build YOUR model.

It's neither difficuld nor complicate things.
Just think and build with a real materials along the way you build the model and that' it.

I'm sorry may be this is a not enough explanation what I wanted to tell you but,

Thank you very much.

Katsuhiko Fujihira

Your methods and adaptations on the fly are fun to watch.....

I am by no means as good in the engineering department like you are, but I do like creating and dealing with mechanical ideas.

Growing up, I have always used my art to paint or draw. These last few projects of mine are my first experience in any type of modeling or 3 dimensional type of work. Well, since I was a kid and built my first scale model, the General Lee from the Dukes of Hazzard. Maybe I did a '79 Trans Am too....hmmm. I wish I had jumped into modeling years ago.

Regardless, your creativity is unique and admirable.

Keep up the great work ! :) :thumbsup

Thank you for the exhaustive answer.

There are definite similarities as to when I create parts for the cars I'm working on. The major difference is, I would say, that I almost always have certain limitations and constrictions to guide/limit the work.
I know that the part i'm working on needs to fulfill this or that purpose, needs to be fixed using some kind of fix element onto whatever's available in the surrounding context. It's usually a job of merely deducting the easiest way of getting the part to do the job by eliminating the possibilities that will be to expensive or just plain won't work.
What amazes me is your sense of such intricate details without having reference-photos/sketches/and such. It's inspiring and it makes me want to build my own models. Thank you for sharing!

Your methods and adaptations on the fly are fun to watch.....

I am by no means as good in the engineering department like you are, but I do like creating and dealing with mechanical ideas.

Growing up, I have always used my art to paint or draw. These last few projects of mine are my first experience in any type of modeling or 3 dimensional type of work. Well, since I was a kid and built my first scale model, the General Lee from the Dukes of Hazzard. Maybe I did a '79 Trans Am too....hmmm. I wish I had jumped into modeling years ago.

Regardless, your creativity is unique and admirable.

Keep up the great work ! :) :thumbsup

Your work shows your nice sense of engineering.
I used drew some Sci Fi graphics about 40 years ago.
They are still on the living room wall.

I built many 1/24 automobile kit of US mustle car like yellow Mustang Mach 1- I painted exactry the same as "Elenor" in "Vanishing in 60 seconds", white Dodge Challenger '71 as in "Vanishing Point" . Green Mustang Fast Back '69 and black Charger in Bullet. Red hot Ford Trino in "Starsky and Hatch" "Dukes of Hazzard and black Firebird Trans Am of 'Trans Am 7000' and many more.
Finally I got a Chevrolet Camaro '91.

No matter how Toyota or Honda's hibrids are good, They never give me that heavenly ten years again.

Oh, looks like I've just out of the line but, you make me remember that good old days.

Thank you for the exhaustive answer.

There are definite similarities as to when I create parts for the cars I'm working on. The major difference is, I would say, that I almost always have certain limitations and constrictions to guide/limit the work.
I know that the part i'm working on needs to fulfill this or that purpose, needs to be fixed using some kind of fix element onto whatever's available in the surrounding context. It's usually a job of merely deducting the easiest way of getting the part to do the job by eliminating the possibilities that will be to expensive or just plain won't work.
What amazes me is your sense of such intricate details without having reference-photos/sketches/and such. It's inspiring and it makes me want to build my own models. Thank you for sharing!

As I read your comment, i feel that your work is just like the one of the miniature maker of those films. Those prop maker or miniature builders are also forced to be working under the hard restriction of the budget and schedules. But look, I've been watching many SciFi movie. Some are good and some are poor. But I swear I never seen a poor props and miniature till now (uhh, maybe one or two) .
Maybe the restriction may make us to do more smart and creative in many ways.
So, I guess you are doing a good job every day.

Fantastic, as always, My Friend.

Thanking you all the time, my NMR-san

Last edited:
Today, I took several hours to assemble these parts and sections for the test fitting to see the overall balance and proportions.

I've used a metallic adhesive tape to stick the parts.

I built a structure to support the aft section outer skins.

IMG_20170119_114416_zpsxbjracdd.jpg

Also, I've added some stiffy beams to enforce the strength of connection between the nose section and mid section.
I don't wan to see her breaking into two parts.

IMG_20170119_114836_zpsojujuayw.jpg

IMG_20170119_114906_zps2rmbwrkz.jpg

IMG_20170119_114928_zpsmetuzc6q.jpg

Docking bay between the twin aft section.

IMG_20170119_115024_zpszbs6dm9c.jpg

IMG_20170119_115124_zpsxicfvs5o.jpg

IMG_20170119_115202_zps43eibyrw.jpg

IMG_20170119_115311_zpsd6zjqggo.jpg

View from the nose section.

IMG_20170119_115606_zps7vyai284.jpg

IMG_20170119_115613_zpsucjw4ara.jpg

IMG_20170119_115632_zpsq9chdnrr.jpg

IMG_20170119_115635_zpsfnuq1rnt.jpg

IMG_20170119_115643_zpsnzwnjclc.jpg

IMG_20170119_115649_zpshhljmgf8.jpg

IMG_20170119_115937_zpshwgkceff.jpg

IMG_20170119_115947_zpslvgsod4m.jpg

IMG_20170119_120010_zpsloz1tdsh.jpg

IMG_20170119_120051_zpsmhgyxuaw.jpg

IMG_20170119_120058_zpsugsncl4d.jpg

IMG_20170119_120107_zpsknbuodto.jpg

IMG_20170119_120117_zps5eoj7qpd.jpg

IMG_20170119_120356_zpscjpm3qif.jpg

Side View

IMG_20170119_142746_zpsifgjr1cw.jpg

IMG_20170119_142806_zpsyms8wet2.jpg

IMG_20170119_142836_zpsqhiviqrf.jpg

As I look at the last few pics of the side view, I thought the mid section looks a little weak about massive volume. I feel like I should add something like a pair of large landing gear housing or something.

A little tip from an old man.

If you are tuckleing a large scale model building, don't forget to carry her pics of the ongoing build. When you not be able to back to your work bench or when you are busy and forced to be away from her, it may helps you to keep you loving her and motivated while you can not to be with her. Just like a small pic of your beloved girlfriend or your partner you keep it in your wallet or cell phone.
When you are in a morning or evening train, or in a boring board meeting, you just bring it up and see her pic.

It's true, I always do that.
Pics of my wife? No, I don't need it. I never ever be able to forget her even in my nightmare.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back