Friday The 13th, Part 3 - Jason's Hockey Mask - What is the correct color and paint?

CB2001

Master Member
I picked up a plastic hockey mask in the style of Jason's from Friday The 13th, Part 3. This mask was molded in white, doesn't have any chevrons on it and I purchased it with the sole intention of modifying it to make it as close to screen accurate as I could get it. However, the big issue is the coloring of the mask in the film. I've tried looking around at pictures of the mask, which seen to give it a creamy color, while other pictures of the mask from the film come off as rather yellowish (in fact, even some official commercial releases of the mask with the F13 brand have it come off slightly yellowish) or even an off light brownish color. I've seen several users taking the same mask I found and use Almond colored Krylon paint for it. I found one site that explained that the mask was an off-white color due to the laquer they used on the mask. So, seeing that my own research has lead to many different results as to what could be the best color, I decided to toss the question out to the best resource I knew: the members of the RPF. If anyone knows for certain what the correct color and what would be the best paint to get as close to accurate a color for Jason's mask as it was seen in the film, I'm sure it'd be someone from here.

So, what is the correct color of the mask? And what would be the best paint and color to get the correct match from the third film?

Pictures for reference:
;.jpg

jason.jpg

JasonVoorhees-Living.jpg

From the Friday The 13th: The Game -
Jason_Part_3.png

Re: Friday The 13th, Part 3 - Jason's Hockey Mask - What is the correct color and pai

Does anyone have any info?

Re: Friday The 13th, Part 3 - Jason's Hockey Mask - What is the correct color and pai

Did you come across this site, which discusses the techniques that the set designer of part 3 remembered using to weather the hockey mask. The site also pinpoints the off the shelf type of mask used for part 3.

http://jasonlivessince1980.blogspot.com/2016/08/how-part-3-masks-were-probably-painted.html?m=1

http://jasonlivessince1980.blogspot.com/2017/01/a-visual-history-of-hockey-masks.html?m=1

Yeah, that was the one I came across that said it was the varnish that made it look a bit yellow. But, certain shots of the film, the mask doesn't look yellow, though. That's part of the reason why I've been scratching my head when looking at screencaps for the film to make sure I'm understanding the mask is the correct color.

So, I take it the varnish would be the way to go, first an all white base, varnish, sand and then varnish again?

Last edited:

As I recall, the original mask (and many subsequent masks in the later movies) were vac-formed out of clear acrylic or PETG and were painted white behind the mask so that the top stayed glossy.

If you're just looking to make it look like it does in the movie rather than go through all the trouble of vac-forming and stuff, I'd go with your almond color (or an antique white) over the white base color of the mask and just weather accordingly. It ages throughout the film so there's a lot of "versions" for you to choose from.

As I recall, the original mask (and many subsequent masks in the later movies) were vac-formed out of clear acrylic or PETG and were painted white behind the mask so that the top stayed glossy.

If you're just looking to make it look like it does in the movie rather than go through all the trouble of vac-forming and stuff, I'd go with your almond color (or an antique white) over the white base color of the mask and just weather accordingly. It ages throughout the film so there's a lot of "versions" for you to choose from.

Thanks for the info. The fun fact is that most of the walls in my house is painted antique white, so I at least have an ide what it looks like. Might have to compare to the almond color, see how they compare and also try to compare to the screencaps.

The mask I'm using for my base is this (I got it for $3 off of eBay, and yes I plan on replacing the straps too):
$_3.JPG

Last edited:

If they're elastic, just move them to the upper snaps and you've got it bang on the nose to the screen-used.

If they're elastic, just move them to the upper snaps and you've got it bang on the nose to the screen-used.

From what I've read, the snaps on the actual prop were made of leather. Was that wrong?

It may be if there are sources saying so, I remember hearing ages ago they were elastic but it (most likely) is out of date now.

It may be if there are sources saying so, I remember hearing ages ago they were elastic but it (most likely) is out of date now.

Most of the sources I've looked at that have had straps with from other fan builds. So, I can't be sure if the actual mask has elastic or leather straps. But it seems odd that all the replicas have neem made used leather straps instead of an elastic one if it was elastic for the film. I'll do some more digging around on it and get back to you. But I do know that I'll be hitting the Goodwill to see if I can find any leather belts that can be used for it.

As PoopaPapaPalps mentioned above, the originals were a clear plastic. They were sprayed white on the inside and then I believe a finish was applied to the outside surface and that is what yellowed and gave the mask it’s distinctive cracks. Everything I’ve seen shows elastic straps as well.

Before you get into painting, I really recommend giving the mask a good scrub with a scotchbrite pad to help the paint stick. Those cheap hockey masks are a real pain with paint adhesion, you need to give the paint some surface to bite into.

I found that a good way to replicate this look if you don’t have a clear hock, is with a matte white base coat (Krylon primer works well) and FW Inks Antelope Brown. You want to thin the ink down a little with water and lightly apply a wash. A brush or sponge works, just put the ink on and then take a clean paper towel and gently remove it. It will stain the white and give you a color very close to the original. You can let it dry and then do another layer if you feel it’s too light.

If you want to go super detail heavy, you can use a fine tip mechanical pencil to gently draw the cracking running along the surface. Seal with a gloss clear, add your scuffs and scratches, and then do a thin black wash and you should have something pretty close to the original. Crash Creations does beautiful work, if you aren’t familiar with him I’d give his work a look. It’s great reference and inspiration.
Best of luck!

As PoopaPapaPalps mentioned above, the originals were a clear plastic. They were sprayed white on the inside and then I believe a finish was applied to the outside surface and that is what yellowed and gave the mask it’s distinctive cracks. Everything I’ve seen shows elastic straps as well.

May have to think on the cracking appearance, for sure before doing anything.

Before you get into painting, I really recommend giving the mask a good scrub with a scotchbrite pad to help the paint stick. Those cheap hockey masks are a real pain with paint adhesion, you need to give the paint some surface to bite into.

Yeah, I'm planning on doing some sanding on it before I apply any primer or paint, as well as doing some minor sanding in between layers, so to give some scratches in there for weathering.

I found that a good way to replicate this look if you don’t have a clear hock, is with a matte white base coat (Krylon primer works well) and FW Inks Antelope Brown. You want to thin the ink down a little with water and lightly apply a wash. A brush or sponge works, just put the ink on and then take a clean paper towel and gently remove it. It will stain the white and give you a color very close to the original. You can let it dry and then do another layer if you feel it’s too light.

The matte white color, just pure white or almond/antique white?

If you want to go super detail heavy, you can use a fine tip mechanical pencil to gently draw the cracking running along the surface. Seal with a gloss clear, add your scuffs and scratches, and then do a thin black wash and you should have something pretty close to the original. Crash Creations does beautiful work, if you aren’t familiar with him I’d give his work a look. It’s great reference and inspiration.
Best of luck!

Thanks. Worse case scenario, if I can't get this this one looking right, I'll at least have some practice in if I try to do another one. I'll definitely have a look at Crash Creations and consider the mechanical pen for the cracking appearance.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back