1/72 Hoth Echo Base Hangar diorama

droids9.jpegdroids10.jpeghangar snow1.jpeghangar snow1.jpeghangar snow3.jpeghangar snow4.jpeghangar snow5.jpega little more work on droids, still need to wash them a hopefully I'll get the panel lines, but they're relatively faint so we'll see. On another aspect of the project, I finally got around to the snow. I had started out sprinkling by hand after I spritzed to glue on, found that wasn't getting it even. I glanced over to my loading bench and what's hanging on the wall...stainless flour sifter I use for gun powder! YEE HAW! So what I did was, spritz glue over the entire panel, dump the model snow in the sifter and shake it out over the whole thing. letting it sit for a minute or so (and I used all 6 bags) took another scrap of the base floor stuff, flip it to the smooth side and upended the project floor onto the scrap and gently tapping the still loose snow off. Scraped it up into a plastic container, putting the project back on top of the table saw, I could see where I had not gotten the glue good enough. hit it with glue again, filled the sifter again with the recovered snow and shook it out again. I repeated this process till hardly anything tapped off. I still need one or two more bags of snow for when I pull the tape and glue down the walls and round house, to blend the seams, as it were. And also to sprinkle on the anti-slip plates I scratched up, after they are placed, which will be after I position all the ships, and equipment. In all, I'd say the snow worked out well and the sifter made all the difference in spreading it around evenly. Though I will say, there were places where I had gotten a bit too much glued, and the snow slightly clumped a little, but this isn't a flat farm field in the winter, it's a base, so the irregularities I unintentionally ended up with actually enhanced the realism :thumbsup

droids11.jpegechobase2.jpegechobase3.jpegechobase4.jpegdoesn't look like much, yet. painted a couple more droids and washed all the painted but one, it darkened them so they look used and working, made the panel lines more visible. I'm telling ya, some of the droids on Shapeways look good, the 3PO's are decent, but the 6 pack of R2's have little to no panel lines. if you're gonna buy 1/72 droids, you gotta go with 3D Falcon. Gus has this nailed. The only thing is my skill level isn't there yet. painting with a very sharpened tooth pick under a mag-glass takes some practice but I'll get there. the snow is down on the base floor and the walls are stuck with Flex-glue. The cave isn't secured yet as it needs a bit more sculpting to fit better, and there will still be gaps cause I don't want to cut a lot off, but once it's securely planted the trusty sheet rock mud will fill in the edges. Then it's more snow to fill it the bare areas of the floor where it meets the walls and cave. After that I'll cut and crave another piece of wall to go above the cave and give it the same mud and drag a hair comb across it to make the cut lines. The I suppose it's time to cut the ceiling panel and truss it on top to prevent sagging, then start on the ceiling light fixtures...moving right along :thumbsup

View attachment 835741View attachment 835742View attachment 835743View attachment 835744doesn't look like much, yet. painted a couple more droids and washed all the painted but one, it darkened them so they look used and working, made the panel lines more visible. I'm telling ya, some of the droids on Shapeways look good, the 3PO's are decent, but the 6 pack of R2's have little to no panel lines. if you're gonna buy 1/72 droids, you gotta go with 3D Falcon. Gus has this nailed. The only thing is my skill level isn't there yet. painting with a very sharpened tooth pick under a mag-glass takes some practice but I'll get there. the snow is down on the base floor and the walls are stuck with Flex-glue. The cave isn't secured yet as it needs a bit more sculpting to fit better, and there will still be gaps cause I don't want to cut a lot off, but once it's securely planted the trusty sheet rock mud will fill in the edges. Then it's more snow to fill it the bare areas of the floor where it meets the walls and cave. After that I'll cut and crave another piece of wall to go above the cave and give it the same mud and drag a hair comb across it to make the cut lines. The I suppose it's time to cut the ceiling panel and truss it on top to prevent sagging, then start on the ceiling light fixtures...moving right along :thumbsup

Looks amazing, brother! Great job, so far! It's starting to really take on the look and feel of that scene out ESB...

Thanks buddy, I'll have more snow to finish up the floor by the weekend, then plant the falcon floor lights and wire everything together so some lights are going, then start placing the ships, equipment and people to see what looks good. I think it's gonna rock :thumbsup
Looks amazing, brother! Great job, so far! It's starting to really take on the look and feel of that scene out ESB...

View attachment 835741View attachment 835742View attachment 835743View attachment 835744doesn't look like much, yet. painted a couple more droids and washed all the painted but one, it darkened them so they look used and working, made the panel lines more visible. I'm telling ya, some of the droids on Shapeways look good, the 3PO's are decent, but the 6 pack of R2's have little to no panel lines. if you're gonna buy 1/72 droids, you gotta go with 3D Falcon. Gus has this nailed. The only thing is my skill level isn't there yet. painting with a very sharpened tooth pick under a mag-glass takes some practice but I'll get there. the snow is down on the base floor and the walls are stuck with Flex-glue. The cave isn't secured yet as it needs a bit more sculpting to fit better, and there will still be gaps cause I don't want to cut a lot off, but once it's securely planted the trusty sheet rock mud will fill in the edges. Then it's more snow to fill it the bare areas of the floor where it meets the walls and cave. After that I'll cut and crave another piece of wall to go above the cave and give it the same mud and drag a hair comb across it to make the cut lines. The I suppose it's time to cut the ceiling panel and truss it on top to prevent sagging, then start on the ceiling light fixtures...moving right along :thumbsup

You’re doing brilliantly my friend , the build is looking very good , and I’m sure it’ll end being an amazing diorama - full of intricate details and intriguing scenes played throughout .
Got to ask though , Did you ever imagine this is where you’d be when you first decided to ‘ light - up ‘ that X-wing all that time ago !? :lol;)

:cheersGed

Thanks buddy, I'll have more snow to finish up the floor by the weekend, then plant the falcon floor lights and wire everything together so some lights are going, then start placing the ships, equipment and people to see what looks good. I think it's gonna rock :thumbsup

It's going to kick *****! Gives me the motivation to finish up on my Docking Bay 94 dio...

Thanks Ged! not at all, I was just going to build one Xwing and one snow speeder and set them on the shelf together with my MPC bird. I can't even recall where the idea of a whole diorama came from. Now I'm into this hundreds of dollars, probably more (sure to be well over a grand all said and done) but the fun I'm having is worth every cent! :thumbsup
You’re doing brilliantly my friend , the build is looking very good , and I’m sure it’ll end being an amazing diorama - full of intricate details and intriguing scenes played throughout .
Got to ask though , Did you ever imagine this is where you’d be when you first decided to ‘ light - up ‘ that X-wing all that time ago !? :lol;)

base1.jpegbase2.jpegnot much to report, flex-glued the cave section so all of this is secured to the floor. made a rough cut of the wall section above the cave but that's as far as I got last night. next is sand and trim that filler piece to fit, mud and line it, then blend it in. more snow due in tomorrow so I'll be covering the contact points/edged of all the walls and such, to the floor. I did notice that the snow that's there still has a bit of loose on the top, yet slightly crusty. So I'll do a mock up with ships, equipment, etc. determine where the foot trails will be and do those, remove everything and spritz more snow glue to seal and set the foot trails and everything else. I suppose it would be a good idea to also make some trails for the four wheeled lift, speeder trolley and some droid wheel tracks. Also lay whatever cables that criss-cross the floor and secure those as well...have I forgotten anything in this phase? thanks fellas :thumbsup

View attachment 835960View attachment 835961not much to report, flex-glued the cave section so all of this is secured to the floor. made a rough cut of the wall section above the cave but that's as far as I got last night. next is sand and trim that filler piece to fit, mud and line it, then blend it in. more snow due in tomorrow so I'll be covering the contact points/edged of all the walls and such, to the floor. I did notice that the snow that's there still has a bit of loose on the top, yet slightly crusty. So I'll do a mock up with ships, equipment, etc. determine where the foot trails will be and do those, remove everything and spritz more snow glue to seal and set the foot trails and everything else. I suppose it would be a good idea to also make some trails for the four wheeled lift, speeder trolley and some droid wheel tracks. Also lay whatever cables that criss-cross the floor and secure those as well...have I forgotten anything in this phase? thanks fellas :thumbsup

Looks amazing, brother! It's like looking at what the Rebels were doing prior to having the fleet there... You know? This is like it was after or during setup for the fleet to make it a temporary base... You should grab a shot with all the lights on and equipment set up, but no vehicles or people. Kind of like the quiet before the storm. And then have a shot after with everyone there and all the vehicles and droids. Just a thought.

hey thanks my friend! I think that's a great idea, progressive shots. I suppose though I should go ahead and prepare the ceiling panel, so it at least "looks" like something. It's going to probably be a weeks work just building the ceiling lights. Pretty sure the best thing to do is have the top removable for access and not have to always reach in from the front...just in case :thumbsup
Looks amazing, brother! It's like looking at what the Rebels were doing prior to having the fleet there... You know? This is like it was after or during setup for the fleet to make it a temporary base... You should grab a shot with all the lights on and equipment set up, but no vehicles or people. Kind of like the quiet before the storm. And then have a shot after with everyone there and all the vehicles and droids. Just a thought.

Agree with what korben suggested regarding - before , during and after pics - when setting up your diorama Ross ... but ,...

Do you have any experience at all with making videos mate ?
Asking cause even though that’ll probably mean a whole ‘nother set of ‘ headaches ‘ for you in planning and shooting it .....:eek

It’d just be sooo cool to see it coming together in stages like the real thing -
1) cave / area discovered & excavated . 2) preliminary construction of main maintenance sectors , with lighting and wiring installed . 3) vehicles/ personnel arriving in stages/ groups etc , etc ,,, You know, kind of like a ‘ Making of ‘Echo Base - the Lost / Recovered ‘ video archives !... :p
You wouldn’t have to shoot/ photograph every little detail added or progress made , just the major ones :thumbsup

Yeah , it’s a huge ask , but thought I’d make one anyway :facepalm. Either way , this is shaping up to be Epic in scope . Loving this !

Het Ged, thanks for the ideas, you guys have really helped me make this thing better than it otherwise would have been! I'm not so great with videos, but it's a good thought. If I did try they would suck. But I will keep up the progressive still shots as close to what you described as possible. Getting ready to post last nights work, it's really starting to look like something. Gotta sting more ground lights today and fit the wall piece above the cave and blend it in, should be easy. Then more cool shots tonight:thumbsup I would have started earlier today but I got a nasty gram from the HOA Nazis and had to trim the tree in the front and clean the leaves off the yard...in nearly 100 degrees! :(
Agree with what korben suggested regarding - before , during and after pics - when setting up your diorama Ross ... but ,...

Do you have any experience at all with making videos mate ?
Asking cause even though that’ll probably mean a whole ‘nother set of ‘ headaches ‘ for you in planning and shooting it .....:eek

It’d just be sooo cool to see it coming together in stages like the real thing -
1) cave / area discovered & excavated . 2) preliminary construction of main maintenance sectors , with lighting and wiring installed . 3) vehicles/ personnel arriving in stages/ groups etc , etc ,,, You know, kind of like a ‘ Making of ‘Echo Base - the Lost / Recovered ‘ video archives !... :p
You wouldn’t have to shoot/ photograph every little detail added or progress made , just the major ones :thumbsup

Yeah , it’s a huge ask , but thought I’d make one anyway :facepalm. Either way , this is shaping up to be Epic in scope . Loving this !

This is looking so beautiful Ross ! , the 1st & 3rd pics in particular with the way your hidden lighting sources plays across the ‘ snowed ‘ surfaces in the alcoves and the’ natural ‘cave is simply stunning ! ... Congratulations :p!

I know you’ve mentioned leaving track marks for the equipment/ maintenance gear which is an accurate detail to incorporate , and perhaps the droids too seeings how they’re ‘ rolling ‘ over it , but going by the images seen I’d not worry about the human made footprints due to the snows ( scale wise ) uneven surface . Just a thought .;)

base9.jpegbase10.jpegbase11.jpegbase12.jpegbase13.jpegbase14.jpegshe's kinda ugly from the back...but...
the Falcon ground lights were a tedious affair, hair thin wire...soldering and shrink wrapping, ugh. But that phase is complete. I just stood the thing on end and worked the bottom. Will next glue down the Xwings and once set snug, I'll upend it again to tie in their wiring.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks again Ged! I did play around with the foot print thing, and you're quite correct, won't see it anyway. As far as the lighting goes...I'm wingin' it :lol
This is looking so beautiful Ross ! , the 1st & 3rd pics in particular with the way your hidden lighting sources plays across the ‘ snowed ‘ surfaces in the alcoves and the’ natural ‘cave is simply stunning ! ... Congratulations :p!

I know you’ve mentioned leaving track marks for the equipment/ maintenance gear which is an accurate detail to incorporate , and perhaps the droids too seeings how they’re ‘ rolling ‘ over it , but going by the images seen I’d not worry about the human made footprints due to the snows ( scale wise ) uneven surface . Just a thought .;)

Many thanks Hemble, it's turning out much better than I thought, so far. If it weren't for all the help and suggestions from all my friends here on the RPF, it would not be so :thumbsup
This is looking brilliant, I can't wait to see it with all the ships and equipment.

Ron

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back