X-wing Fighter 1/72 bandai on the kitchen table

snowy1.jpegsnowy2.jpegsnowy3.jpegsnowy4.jpegalmost there. can't decide if I want to take another run at those rear blocks...the more I look at 'em, the more it bothers me. I'm afraid if I try to pry them off I'll distort the wings or ruin the cannons. those openings, or "wells" should be at the outer edge just into the down slope. If I had gotten that right, this thing would probably look pretty good. perhaps I'll try to build a more "correct" looking set of blocks and that will drive me to want them on there rather than the goofy cartoon looking ones that are there.

Thanks buddy, I appreciate it! :thumbsup I think if I had more scratch building under my belt I'd have done better on this. And if I had pulled more photos in the beginning rather than going off this resin kit it might have helped. although, the thing with the rear blocks I got no excuse, I just messed up. :lol
Still looks great! Fantastic job, even with the small mishap. Consider me impressed!

It's looking very good and I'm impressed with how fast you scratch-build, It literally takes me years. I know I swore off of it for a while after my latest project, but your snowspeeder is kind of giving me the itch again.

Thanks brother! but fast? I've been screwing around with this for like 3 weeks now...I thought I was dragging a bit? It is somewhat rewarding though when they turn out decent. I've got another scaffold to do and will do much better than the first one. The only reason I did the snowy was the resin kits from retrokit suck so bad, AND if Bandai had their collective poop together they would have one available and I wouldn't have to :lol
It's looking very good and I'm impressed with how fast you scratch-build, It literally takes me years. I know I swore off of it for a while after my latest project, but your snowspeeder is kind of giving me the itch again.

I've been messing around with scratching a TIE Bomber for about 15 months, so 3 weeks is lightspeed fast by comparison. From where I was sitting, you just hammered that out. I'll bet you could do a second one, even better, in 2 weeks. That's the way it goes for me at least.

I'm sure Bandai will wait for you to be done and then drop their kit, maybe with a 1/72 Scout Walker. I'd buy that all day long.

Well to me, the snowy was just a bunch of flat angles...a Tie bomber... I can see where that would be time consuming and an intricate build, what scale? I thought there was a Bandai something of that?
I've been messing around with scratching a TIE Bomber for about 15 months, so 3 weeks is lightspeed fast by comparison. From where I was sitting, you just hammered that out. I'll bet you could do a second one, even better, in 2 weeks. That's the way it goes for me at least.

I'm sure Bandai will wait for you to be done and then drop their kit, maybe with a 1/72 Scout Walker. I'd buy that all day long.

No, Bandai is waiting for me to finish before they release their kit, I'm sure. It's 1/72 scale, or at least what I think is 1/72 scale - I've based it on the FM Vader kit, so its cockpit is based on that size. There may be some debate about ship sizes, but I'm happy calling it that. I have a thread on here about it.

Anyway, no more highjacking from me, let's get back to your hangar!

K.

No ,don't even go there about hijacking...I think nothing of the sort. I've run into a few that get weird about it, but not me, not ever. I welcome anyone and everyone to share what they're doing whatever it is. :thumbsup Since we're on SW I'd guess everyone chiming it would like it to pertain to SW, but I don't mind at all, not one bit. Hell even if you were wanting to share what you were doing with a Heinkel HE110 or whatever, I'm interested. Lemme have a link to you're thread on that, I'm extremely interested to see, or post pics here, whatever is easier for you. I'll say this, a Tie bomber at 1/72 has to be an extreme challenge and I salute you for taking that on, a snow speeder has to be child's play in comparison. I'll agree with your theory on Bandai, here before too long I'm sure they'll intro the 1/72 Snow Speeder as well. I emailed them twice asking about it, no reply of course :wacko
No, Bandai is waiting for me to finish before they release their kit, I'm sure. It's 1/72 scale, or at least what I think is 1/72 scale - I've based it on the FM Vader kit, so its cockpit is based on that size. There may be some debate about ship sizes, but I'm happy calling it that. I have a thread on here about it.

K.

thanks Blakeh1, I was worried that once it got paint it wouldn't look so good, but I reckon it'll pass. I did some pastel and started the lighting last night. Gotta decide on a 2mm or 3mm LED for the side control panel FO, then button it up. Still have to do the stabilizer hydraulics and the canopy supports. Still thinking on re-doing those large rear wing blocks. I've been calling them blocks because I'm not sure what they are :lol
Wow, seeing it painted up really makes it pretty impressive looking.

It will look right at home in the dio

snowy5.jpegsnowy6.jpegsnowy7.jpegsnowy8.jpegsnowy9.jpegsnowy11.jpegsnowy12.jpegsnowy13.jpegok, so there is four .25mm FO on the left side control panel and three on the left. A Nano LED in the front floor under the "dash" and one in the rear floor pointed toward the gunners control panel. did some wash, pastel and cleared it.

- - - Updated - - -

four on the left and three on the right...:wacko
snowy5.jpegsnowy6.jpegsnowy7.jpegsnowy8.jpegsnowy9.jpegsnowy11.jpegsnowy12.jpegsnowy13.jpegok, so there is four .25mm FO on the left side control panel and three on the left. A Nano LED in the front floor under the "dash" and one in the rear floor pointed toward the gunners control panel. did some wash, pastel and cleared it.

- - - Updated - - -

and...I have to do the harpoon gun :rolleyes

- - - Updated - - -

four on the left and three on the right...:wacko

DUDE! I found your thread, and I am speechless! That is the most amazing thing I've ever seen in scratch building. Your skills are light years ahead of mine, and that is a FACT! My lame attempts aren't even close to yours...my snow speeder is a sloppy mess compared to what you're doing. The detail and precision are off the charts. The good thing is, seeing your work inspires me to take my work to much higher levels, and to s-l-o-w down my rate of work. I can't thank you enough! :thumbsup

K.

Wow, I'm flattered. That's very high praise, thanks very much. You're inspiring me too... maybe I could be a little faster as much as you could be a little slower! Like I said, you banged out that snowspeeder so fast that I was floored.

K.

no bs man, I'm very impressed with you extreme attention to detail. As I get better at this I'll be striving for that same level. Again though, the speeder was a lot of angles and straight edges, simple compared to your project.:thumbsup
Wow, I'm flattered. That's very high praise, thanks very much. You're inspiring me too... maybe I could be a little faster as much as you could be a little slower! Like I said, you banged out that snowspeeder so fast that I was floored.

K.

Beautiful looking paint and weathering job Ross , and I think your lighting is spot on - not too busy :thumbsup .
Like how you’ve got the ( light ) cables running out from her underside (?) , that’s just more ammo for the ‘ busy ‘ look you’re going for with the diorama . Maintenance / power cables - tuning her up ! ;)

Not sure what you mean by ‘ rear wing blocks ‘ ... Are you referring to the other set of ‘ braking ‘ panels on either side of the radiator ?

:cheersGed

Thanks dude! I thought subtle light was best...ship is "on" for systems check, maintenance, whatever but that's all. the FO will be inside the ship, but you think best to let the LED wires be exposed?
yeah, the wedged blocks at the rear where the cannons come out from. I got those wrong. particularly the well openings on the tops. the opening should have been just into the down slope, hence the angled ends on the braking plates. I should try to re-do those, right?
Beautiful looking paint and weathering job Ross , and I think your lighting is spot on - not too busy :thumbsup .
Like how you’ve got the ( light ) cables running out from her underside (?) , that’s just more ammo for the ‘ busy ‘ look you’re going for with the diorama . Maintenance / power cables - tuning her up ! ;)

Not sure what you mean by ‘ rear wing blocks ‘ ... Are you referring to the other set of ‘ braking ‘ panels on either side of the radiator ?

Sorry for the late response mate , didn’t realise what time it was when I left that post ( been working on my Falcon ) - never usually stay up that late ( 4:30ish a.m.) on a week night ! , pretty much hit the sack after doing so !:sleep

Anyhoo , back on the Snowy wiring ... IMHO , I would leave them ( along with the x - wings’ ) exposed with a little ‘ finagling ‘ so they appeared to be part of the diorama’s busy power cables / maintenance , hanger bay floor ... atmosphere !?. Maybe build some small housings over them , or terminating at them to further illustrate they’re being charged / worked on ?

With regards to the part that connects the cannons , the only thing I’d possibly change is to make the ‘ exposed ‘ middle section of it ( where cannons connect ) larger all round , and the exposed area edge reaches closer to , the last sloping section /panel closest to the wing edge / tip ... I think this would alleviate some of the ‘ boxiness ‘ you’re having trouble with , and make it appear more accurate !? . Hope that makes sense !:facepalm

Please note Ross - these are by no means criticisms of your fine work ,... just suggestions really . Like I said before - living vicariously through your terrific build !;)

Thanks Ged, I appreciate and value your input and suggestions and I agree :thumbsup I think over the weekend I'll build another set and try to get them closer to the requisite appearance. And no, I never take anything anyone critiques as actual criticism. Like most people, I can tell when someone is bashing on me and I've yet to get that from anyone here. It's all constructive and there's a lot of value in that. I still can't quite understand why everyone thinks this Speeder is so good, or my skills for that matter. Yeah, it turned out decent and I'm happy with it given my limited but evolving capabilities...BUT, surely you've seen Keiko's thread on his Tie Bomber? Good God in heaven! Keiko has got "the SKILLS"!!! I don't care how long he says it's taken him, that thing is hands down the finest bit of scratch work I've ever seen anywhere (y)lol
Sorry for the late response mate , didn’t realise what time it was when I left that post ( been working on my Falcon ) - never usually stay up that late ( 4:30ish a.m.) on a week night ! , pretty much hit the sack after doing so !:sleep

Anyhoo , back on the Snowy wiring ... IMHO , I would leave them ( along with the x - wings’ ) exposed with a little ‘ finagling ‘ so they appeared to be part of the diorama’s busy power cables / maintenance , hanger bay floor ... atmosphere !?. Maybe build some small housings over them , or terminating at them to further illustrate they’re being charged / worked on ?

With regards to the part that connects the cannons , the only thing I’d possibly change is to make the ‘ exposed ‘ middle section of it ( where cannons connect ) larger all round , and the exposed area edge reaches closer to , the last sloping section /panel closest to the wing edge / tip ... I think this would alleviate some of the ‘ boxiness ‘ you’re having trouble with , and make it appear more accurate !? . Hope that makes sense !:facepalm

Please note Ross - these are by no means criticisms of your fine work ,... just suggestions really . Like I said before - living vicariously through your terrific build !;)

snowfinish1.jpegsnowfinish2.jpegsnowfinish3.jpegsnowfinish4.jpegsnowfinish5.jpegok, well here it is, I decided not to re-do the rear blocks as I'm getting burned out screwing with it. time to move on to other phases of the bigger project. you guys will know of the flaws, and I apologize...but anyone in my house, looking at it, will never know the difference :lol

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back