X-wing Fighter 1/72 bandai on the kitchen table

Yep, the more I think about it...I'm going to open the Bandai 1/48 and start another one in 1/72 using Bandai as a guide...after I finish this one

I'm enjoying this thread but will have to stop following it if the Walking Dead discussion continues. Due to my remote location, I'm a full year behind and struggle to avoid spoilers.

LOL :lol I promise, not another word :thumbsup we're back on topic :thumbsup
I'm enjoying this thread but will have to stop following it if the Walking Dead discussion continues. Due to my remote location, I'm a full year behind and struggle to avoid spoilers.

Thank you sir. I was literally scrolling fast and trying not to catch a glimpse once I saw what was up, but it's tough.

Side note: I saw a newspaper locally with one of the actors in the corner. It said "life after the Walking Dead". Presumably that character is killed. It really is tough to stay totally spoiler free, but I do my best!

I feel your dilemma my friend, remote location? What transpired that you've been cut off from TWD? Have you been transferred to "Ice Station Zero" or something :confused That's awful...just about as bad as poor Ged missing out on the show all together.
Thank you sir. I was literally scrolling fast and trying not to catch a glimpse once I saw what was up, but it's tough.

Side note: I saw a newspaper locally with one of the actors in the corner. It said "life after the Walking Dead". Presumably that character is killed. It really is tough to stay totally spoiler free, but I do my best!

snow25.jpegsnow26.jpegsnow27.jpegmodest progress with the lower panel, don't know why I bothered with the finer detail, never going to see it displayed. Got the barrel things started on the azz end...however, the third image with the lower panel laid up on the upper part looks ok. still have the very front on each side to finish but that'll be it for the belly.

Thanks brother, if only it was easy...well I suppose it's not really that tough, just time consuming. I think I've been working this for over a week now and feeling like I need to finish it and move back to other element of the project. more maintenance scaffolds, one at least...I got 3 more Xwings and two more of the resin snow speeders, plus a bag full of shapeways stuff but that's all just prep and paint. Tool chests, crates, power boxes, etc. With more effort I could get this snow speeder more accurate I suppose. at some stages I really scrutinize it, and some I just wing it. But ultimately, for what I'm going to use it for, it'll do fine I think. having a good selection of scrap a greeblies helps, though I haven't really used a lot of that, but having around 20 different packs of Evergreen stock really makes it easier!
That's looking pretty fantastic! You make it look so easy

- - - Updated - - -

also, since I gathered some good images of the snow speeder, I realize there's a lot more greeblie work to be done on this for it to look acceptable. probably going to be at least another week :wacko
That's looking pretty fantastic! You make it look so easy

I feel your dilemma my friend, remote location? What transpired that you've been cut off from TWD? Have you been transferred to "Ice Station Zero" or something :confused That's awful...just about as bad as poor Ged missing out on the show all together.

We just live in a remote area - an acreage not far outside of Edmonton, but far enough that cable and fast internet weren't a thing when we moved here. We just got used to having functionally no TV and don't miss it. We do have a home theatre and buy certain shows on DVD or get them from the library. As such, we're always quite behind, which makes it tough to stay spoiler free. For all I know, cable may available by now, but I haven't checked.

Anyway, back to your thread: it's looking great and your mention of tools and crates and whatnot really gets me excited to see what a cluttered mess you can come up with. I hope you have lots of R2 units to fill in the spaces and keep it busy and Star Warsy looking.

Cheers,

K.

hey man, thanks for the support! :thumbsup I guess there's something to be said about living without tv, I get the concept but there's no way I could do it. Been a tv junky since I was still crappin' diapers. Star Trek, lost in Space, Twilight Zone, and I'll watch 'em over and over.
Anyway, yeah I got a set of 6 R2 units and I think 4 or 6 3P0's. plus a lot of other stuff I can't recall at the moment. I did get a few of the globe style ground lights and some of the ones that look like tire chocks but forgot how many. I figured I could make the floor slip plates from the ribbed Evergreen sheet. Lots of stuff though, this is the biggest project I've ever undertaken, and will end up be the most expensive :cry but it should be pretty cool :D I like the diversity of it as well, lots of different elements. I can go back and forth with what I'm working on. Sometime a project, say an ISD for example... I almost slopped through a few phases of it because I got bored or it was too tedious, that's when I have to step back and take a break. This though, if I get tired of working on something, I can turn to another component of it, and go back. it's refreshing actually.:thumbsup
We just live in a remote area - an acreage not far outside of Edmonton, but far enough that cable and fast internet weren't a thing when we moved here. We just got used to having functionally no TV and don't miss it. We do have a home theatre and buy certain shows on DVD or get them from the library. As such, we're always quite behind, which makes it tough to stay spoiler free. For all I know, cable may available by now, but I haven't checked.

Anyway, back to your thread: it's looking great and your mention of tools and crates and whatnot really gets me excited to see what a cluttered mess you can come up with. I hope you have lots of R2 units to fill in the spaces and keep it busy and Star Warsy looking.

Cheers,

K.

snow28.jpegsnow29.jpegsnow30.jpegI decided that a flat face panel with the PE wasn't going to get it done, those images I found clearly indicated I had not done this right. so I took some .20x.80 and split it down the middle, angled the turns best I could, and made a slight cowling for the rear wing blocks. some light sanding will likely blend them better. I took some really thin Evergreen and made some that cover the whole top surface of the front blocks and to where it slightly hung over in the front. Drilled the coffee can things in the rear and stabbed tiny round stock in the holes then snipped it off. there is much to go yet on this little sob... freaking Bandai...if they just had a 1/72 of this...woulda saved me a lot of work :facepalm

Hey Ross , you’re doing a bang up job mate , try not to get too discouraged and keep at it . I really do admire your optimism and gumption with the builds you’ve shared with us so far !

Take as much time away from it ( whenever it’s being a pain ) as needed to get your groove back - and like you said , if certain parts of the build’s getting on your nerves then do something else ! Besides there’s no rush to finishing this , is there ?
After all , this hobby of ours is supposed to be ‘ relaxing ‘ for the most part ! :lol

:cheersGed

p.s. Not to rub salt into your wound , but I’ve read on other posts how talented people like yourself have scratched entire models only to have modelling companies come out after the fact , with the same if not very similar kits !:facepalm

Last edited:
Thanks again Ged :thumbsup sure appreciate all the positive comments. I'm hanging in there and determined. Say, it just occurred to me that perhaps the "mac" is the first part of your sir name? Scottish more than likely? Mine too. Dad's people came over in the 1750's, on the run from the king of England :lol
Hey Ross , you’re doing a bang up job mate , try not to get too discouraged and keep at it . I really do admire your optimism and gumption with the builds you’ve shared with us so far !

Take as much time away from it ( whenever it’s being a pain ) as needed to get your groove back - and like you said , if certain parts of the build’s getting on your nerves then do something else ! Besides there’s no rush to finishing this , is there ?
Besides , this hobby of ours is supposed to be ‘ relaxing ‘ for the most part ! :facepalm:lol

:cheersGed

No worries mate re; the comments - especially if true :thumbsup

As for the ‘ mac ‘ , yeah it’s from MacDonald . My paternal granddad was from the U.K., originally . I consider myself to be a bit of a Mongrel - with all the different cultures running through my veins though ( at least according to my parents ! ) . The 66 = the year I arrived on this planet ! :lol

snow31.jpegsnow32.jpegsnow33.jpegsnow34.jpegsnow35.jpegsnow36.jpegsnow37.jpegsnow38.jpegagain, I didn't get the table time I wanted the last couple of days, I built the canopy over the weekend, it was a bit tricky and I built it too tall, but I've sanded the bottom off so it fits better. I knocked down the edges to blend and hope that does it, otherwise I'll have to lay thin styrene over it to produce the framing. I haven't un-masked it yet though. I did screw up on the top openings on the rear wing blocks thar should have been out to the edge where it slopes down...but, it's done now. I built the flaps and added some greeb PE to the wells. also made the lower rear stabilizers and attached to the lower hull panel. I had some unused ramp hydraulics from a ramp kit for the MPC Falcon to use for the stabilizer actuators. The rear fixed canopy turned out...ehh ok, and I robbed the gunner control panel from one of the resin kits. Yes, I could have done this better, and my only excuse is, that this is only my 3rd and most complicated scratch build so far.

Thanks, but skill? Nah, only my 3rd scratch build. I happened to have 20 packs of Evergreen, a fairly full tray of scraps and greeblies and a lot of luck. I'd give myself a "C" for accuracy but a "B+" on symmetry. I could have done this better I think if I'd taken it slower, however at this scale, it's been tricky with the detail...but speaking of scale...if those clowns at Bandai had this in 1/72 I wouldn't have needed to do it in the first place...I was just so disgusted with the crap-azz quality of those Retrokit resin POS's, I thought I'd try scratching one.
Your skills almost make me want to give up ;)

- - - Updated - - -

thanks, much appreciated. Though I have to admit...the further I get into this project, the more distant the finished product seems...but I reckon it's best not to rush or slop through it
Awesome! Can't wait to see the whole diorama...

snow39.jpegsnow40.jpegsnow41.jpegsnow42.jpeggot some color on it finally. Black Citadel for primer and the Corax white for top color. The canopy turned out well, but I didn't think to photo before I re-masked it for the red stripe tip in front. got the whole thing masked for the stripes so when I get home today I can air brush that on. Thinking of using the adhesive instrument stickers from the Bandai X-wing on the sides of the cockpit to "busy" it up. I drilled some holes in the side panels of the cockpit for some .25mm FO that'll run down to a 2mm LED inside under the cockpit floor, then a nano LED at each end of the cockpit floor. I tested it before paint the other day and it looked good, but with color on it now, it should look even better. But, I'll get all that done and let you guys decide.
just want to say thanks to everyone for sticking with me and the support through this project that started as just an X-wing and has turned into an Echo Base diorama project. :thumbsup

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back