A L I E N FIVE Neill Blomkamp's ALIEN movie

I'm with you on that one mate;) Reverse psychology at its best:rolleyes...until DisFox says: "Alright, show us how you're gonna do it".

I`ve seen this kinda thing played out many different times over the years with my work j, obviously at a much smaller level but the sentiment remains the same.

When NB started the instagram thing all those years ago with the drawings I thought it was an absolutely brilliant and ground braking way of getting his project off the ground, all these years later he has diluted that opinion to the point where has just become another Hollywood opportunist looking to make something off someone elses achievments. I think I pointed out his contradicting attitude when discussing "The Franchise"

In my head-canon 3 and 4 are Ripley's hypersleep dreams. They never happened.

Whereas Prometheus and Covenant are just 2 more examples of directors not understanding their own films...

NB's vision is pretty much what I've wanted to see since I was 15.
Kinda sad that I'll probably never see it.

I am happy you can live in that world but back in reality they do exist and you can confirm that by say checking any reference source known to film such as IMDB, The Rpf, or any video store (do they still have them) or digital download service in the world.

I dont care for them much either but hey, the people who made them have mothers too.

Last edited:
There are more than enough discrepancies between the original and new movies - technology, ribbed metal Engineer ships V biomechanical Space Jockey derelect, undersized Engineers compared with the SJ, the alien embryo in Covenant V the chest burster etc to view the Prometheus movies as an alternate/what if universe. It actually makes a lot more sense that way.

I enjoy the new movies, for all their faults, in this context, and for the frequently gorgeous visuals. I'm also really enjoying David's character and story, and will be disappointed if we don't get to see its end. It's kinda funny that the people that complain the loudest about Ridley betraying the original movies are the ones that want A3 exorcised from canon because they didn't like it.

If this movie is now dead in the water theres no reason why details of the "supposed" script that was made arernt released for us all to see.

I agree wholeheartedly with the claustrophobic approach of the first film (without showing the creature segments). The face-huger was a formidable image (not concept/idea, since in nature, there's a lot of insects putting their eggs in different hosts). The birth also! SRS should've stopped at that.

And Tim, as far as "script", NB will not release anything...just in case;):D

I ve heard that before from others and they totally screwed with it and turned it upside down. Cough Rian Johnson cough.

>INSERT DROPS MIC GIF HERE<

*Brings in new microphone so that everyone doesn't have to use one that's been on the floor.*

Prometheus and Covenant both turned things upside down and "totally screwed with" the series in many ways, but they failed to bring in major $ and instead polarized the fan base. (Alien 3 did so as well, and essentially starts with a middle-finger to the audience, despite being a good standalone film.) TLJ did the same, yet has brought in over $1 billion so far, which has to count as a "win" for the filmmakers.

I think one major failing of P+C is that they paid zero fan service (at least in a way that fans needed) and instead played emotional basketball with audience expectations leading up to release, instead becoming ego-drive vehicles much in the way the SW Prequels were. (And I think those films have generally made big-budget genre audiences less tolerant towards such things.) As has been mentioned before, SRS seems generally disdainful towards his audience. (For example, during the commentary of Prometheus he talks about a connection to Alien, but doesn't really explain it, instead dismissing it and saying something along the lines of "that's all I'm saying, if you don't get it... too bad.") Perhaps he isn't and is just not good at conveying enthusiasm or drawing the public in, but that's the vibe I get. It could also be the reason that many main characters in his films often fail to evoke empathy from audiences.

Too much fan service can be embarrassing of course- especially when it becomes the driving force of the narrative; there are parts of Rogue One that go a little too far i.m.o., but for long-running series like Alien and Star Wars, perhaps a little bit of it is crucial? Even if you hate The Last Jedi overall, in plot, structure or how it treats certain characters, there are at least a couple fan-service moments that I have a hard time thinking everyone hated.

NB's pitch for Alien 5 relied very heavily on fan service towards fans of Aliens of course- perhaps too much so, and could even the reason why SRS didn't seem to care for the idea overall.

Maybe if Cameron's reboot of Terminator, de-canonising everything after T2 is successful, it will prompt Disney to do the same with Alien, with or without NB.

I`m not interested in your opinion, really.
As if I were replying only for your benefit or would tailor my messages around only what you are interested it. You've proven yet again with your last several postings that you are incapable of partaking in cordial discussion. (And yes, the "huffy" remark was aimed at you.)

Maybe if Cameron's reboot of Terminator, de-canonising everything after T2 is successful, it will prompt Disney to do the same with Alien, with or without NB.

You know, that's another good example - I forgot about Cameron ignoring the later Terminator films.

More "canon" existing on a sliding scale.

alienscollection.com There`s only a very small number of people here who`s opinion of me I care about and you are one of them. In all the years I have been a member here, your posts have always been of great interest and benefit to me. You have never been rude, disrespectful or condescending to either me or anyone else.

The fact we have had a falling out over this thread is of great concern to me and thought that I reach out in this thread to try and repair any damage that may have occurred. It would be a deep regret for me if this current situation would mean that you and I could not go on shareing our mutual interests on a friendly basis in the future.

Tim.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tim, hey, no worries at all - it's all good.

tenor.gif

If I seem punchy part of it is spillover from trying to have intellectually honest conversations elsewhere about Last Jedi. Being told over and over the reason I don't love it is because I "don't get it" is so incredibly annoying - or, "Look at how much money it's making! See, you're wrong!" Budweiser makes a ton of money too, doesn't make it a GREAT beer. Online culture is just getting more and more bugnuts. I think I'm throwing in the towel on discussing that one anywhere - the faneurysms are just off the chart insane.

But yeah, no worries, "we cool..."

Tim, hey, no worries at all - it's all good.

https://media.tenor.com/images/2e52baf8b2609aa9801e8ea4ad799adb/tenor.gif

If I seem punchy part of it is spillover from trying to have intellectually honest conversations elsewhere about Last Jedi. Being told over and over the reason I don't love it is because I "don't get it" is so incredibly annoying - or, "Look at how much money it's making! See, you're wrong!" Budweiser makes a ton of money too, doesn't make it a GREAT beer. Online culture is just getting more and more bugnuts. I think I'm throwing in the towel on discussing that one anywhere - the faneurysms are just off the chart insane.

But yeah, no worries, "we cool..."

That`s great to hear Willie.

I totally sympathise and can relate with every thing you said about the TLJ.

George Lucas, Ridley Scott and James Cameron are very important to me and the frustration over criticization of particularly the first two by people against the people who created the very thing they obsess over is a blood boiler.

We need another Dan O'Bannon and probably not any more Aliens movies.

Wow, theres a cold hard reality check if there ever was one. Thanks CessnaDriver.:thumbsup

What a tremendous talent that is all to easily forgotten, by me included, amoungst all the other bull****.

Personally, I would like to see Scott being allowed to finish the journey he started all those years ago for just one more time, after that, I`m done with it and they can have at it.

Last edited by a moderator:
James cameron is really a quarter time director.

In the last 28 years he has directed 4 movies which is quite a pitiful number given his wealth and talent. He really is a lazy film maker.

Ridley in comparison is a director who isnt fussy. He gets the job done quickly.
He is quick and efficient.
One of the most efficient today.

Maybe they can collaborate one day.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back