3d Printed F-11D First Order Stormtrooper Blaster Project

Trooper_trent

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've collected Star Wars props for years but apart from assembling, kit bashing, painting and weathering, I haven't really BUILT much.
So I thought I'd try my hand at a build that is a step up from buying a finished item, or assembling a kit. I know it's still not building anything from scratch, but we're taking baby steps here. My project of choice is the Episode 7 stormtrooper blaster. This will be my first 3D printed prop project.

4y9B9Jb.jpg

First off, I want to give a HUGE shout out and thank you to @T5H for the absolutely AMAZING 3D models! This is the most well thought out, organized, and professionally presented product I've seen for 3D printing. He not only has created Super accurate parts, but has done ALL of the hard work in positioning the parts, indicating what needs support, what hardware to use to assemble it and even constructed a very polished and easy to read INSTRUCTION MANUAL with step by step pictures and tips. It even includes files for the decals! I was absolutely astonished at all the hard work that went into this project, and he just offered it up for free! Seriously, thank you so much for this. You are a treasure to the community!

Now, onto the build. I never thought I'd get into 3D printing. Always thought it was cool, but had no knowledge on how it worked, and i always thought it was really expensive to get into. Fast forward to last summer and my Sister-in-law had a cheap 3D printer kit mis-delivered to her house. The company was in china, so for the cost of shipping they weren't interested in having her send it back. Hey, free 3D printer! She gave it to me since she knew I was into projects. But I have to say, for a $200 printer kit that was actually free, this thing prints REALLY WELL! I've seen some $2,000 Filament printers that don't print as well as this cheap piece of junk. I spent some time doing research learning how to really dial it in and I think it helped a ton. Anyway, the printer is an Anycubic Linear-Plus Kossel / Delta style printer. It took about 2 evenings to put together and another few days of tinkering with the settings.

Step 1. Printing out all of the parts. I started with the white parts first. Using T5H's handy instruction manual makes it super simple to know what parts to print in what orientation with what color filament. I'm on the last white part now and then will switch to black, then silver.
My goal is to print every part in the highest quality my printer will allow (.1mm layer thickness) to minimize sanding and cleanup. I'll then use predominantly spot filler primer and fine grain sand paper to get rid of the grow lines (surprisingly they're barely noticeable already, considering how cheap this printer is). and then I think i'll be painting it with spray Appliance lacquer instead of spray paint. I used white spray lacquer to paint another project and it came out super glossy and smooth. I'm hoping it will do the same with this.

Here's a few pictures of the printer and the parts I've printed so far. Stay tuned!
C8WjmM9.jpg

e3wNeir.jpg

0bbHEJG.jpg

QTJQVgn.jpg

THFJbGV.jpg

Started printing some of the black parts. So far everything is printing beautifully and everything is fitting like a glove. I’m still super impressed with this cheapo 3D printer.
8ecedd428e9b52ac970fe983c8de0997.jpg
350b3e6766bea816c492ec94924802fb.jpg

43fee88754db56f7effac0e0354acf93.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to fill in and smooth the already limited gaps with some filler primer and I'll paint it with appliance lacquer which should give it almost a powder coated look.

Lol a free 3d printer. I have to agree for a $200 printer the quality looks great. I have a tevo tarantula (a £200 kit) and it prints better than some £2000 branded printers I've seen.

Could you link to where you got the model please? I have a roll of filament that I may as well turn into this. :)

I'm going to fill in and smooth the already limited gaps with some filler primer and I'll paint it with appliance lacquer which should give it almost a powder coated look.

Sounds like it should really good then :)

I've actually wanted to do this ever since i built the kit a couple years ago. For casting purposes they put a lot of white/black parts together and it was a bit of a #$@^ to mask them off cleanly.

Hey Trent,
Thanks for the thorough credits and the kind words. Much appreciated! I must say that I completely agree with you about the difference between assembling parts together and actually creating those parts. Very often I see people looking for or getting far more credits than they deserve for 3D printed stuff they didn't even model themselves.

Hey Trent,
Thanks for the thorough credits and the kind words. Much appreciated! I must say that I completely agree with you about the difference between assembling parts together and actually creating those parts. Very often I see people looking for or getting far more credits than they deserve for 3D printed stuff they didn't even model themselves.

Absolutely! "I made this from scratch" is nowhere near the truth lol. So I'll say that I am 3D printing these parts at home on a crappy printer that is turning out some surprisingly high quality parts, from excellent 3D models that T5H put in what I can only imagine is COUNTLESS hours of hard work into, to make it so easy.

Thanks again man, my printer has been running non stop. I'm getting closer!

T5H,

The only modification I've made to your files so far was to simply split the muzzle and the muzzle ring into separate parts so that I could print the ring in white and to make it easier to paint without having to mask everything off.

IMG_5159.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to have it split like that too, but changed it because I found that sliding in and gluing the ring can be troublesome in some cases. But with a well calibrated printer it works well.

I used to have it split like that too, but changed it because I found that sliding in and gluing the ring can be troublesome in some cases. But with a well calibrated printer it works well.

Yep, I added in a groove for alignment and a lip at the bottom for the ring to catch and recess down into so that it would only go on one way, and snap in place. I also widened the interior diameter by .1mm on the ring so it touches but still slides over the muzzle easily. fits like a glove!

Small update. I finished printing all the parts and got busy with work so they sat for two weeks. Yesterday I put a coat of filler primer on and today hit them with a coat of appliance epoxy. So far no sanding. We’ll see how they turn out.
c3be8dbdc0a2e62840d3a5a7ce975642.jpg

66a83a92fe8d1b481d07c1caab603c44.jpg

Last edited:
Wow Trent, this is so great to watch. You claim to not "scratch build" sir, but your builds are still amazing! Keep it up, I am loving the progress!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back