Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

Is it going to be aired during a football game?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Assume so - Mark made a comment on Instagram a few weeks back telling people to be sure the watch Monday Night Football on the 9th (IIRC correctly), and then walked that post back a day or so later, which implies he let the cat out of the bag before he was supposed to.

M

Those eyes!!

Ray Romano cosplay?

Ray Romano - Cosplay - Kylo Ren - 01.jpg

Gone are the days when each new movie will introduce cool ships. I blamed not only the directors approving poor designs but also the so called concept designers themselves. As someone said in another thread that CG illustrators now have confused themselves as concept designers. I think that is so true.

They should get Joe Johnston as consultant for ship designs for the new movies and hopefully let him direct some too!

Oh for **** sake... Everyone bitched when the Naboo starfighter came out because it was "too modern" and "not old looking". But if a tie fighter or X-wing evolves it's unoriginal. You can't win with Star Wars fans.
I think the Starfighter was jarring because it didn't seem to follow the look we we're accustomed to.

But once people accepted the difference in society, they really embraced the look of the prequels. You really can't knock the prequels for both design and score.

I was listening to the score of ROTS today and my God, that's a masterpiece.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Gone are the days when each new movie will introduce cool ships. I blamed not only the directors approving poor designs but also the so called concept designers themselves. As someone said in another thread that CG illustrators now have confused themselves as concept designers. I think that is so true.

They should get Joe Johnston as consultant for ship designs for the new movies and hopefully let him direct some too!
The thing is Joe Johnson had a degree in mechanical engineering. McQuarrie and the other concept people all had experience designing and making things for the real world, and that know how translated to their film and TV work. Everything they came up with looks functional. Today's designers are more like little kids saying "You know what would be cool?" and they go from there, with no real world know how.

Oh for **** sake... Everyone bitched when the Naboo starfighter came out because it was "too modern" and "not old looking". But if a tie fighter or X-wing evolves it's unoriginal. You can't win with Star Wars fans.
I loved the Naboo fighter, and I liked a lot of the PT designs. They had an ornate flair that fit in with the "Old Republic, before the dark times...". The TFA TIE fighter is dumb, not because it's mostly unchanged in basic design, but because the black and white color scheme looks ridiculous. "You know what would be cool? If TIE fighters looked like storm troopers! Same color and everything!"

I'm not sure how much people expect things to evolve in the span of 30 years. Do cars really look all that different today than they did in 1987? Sure, some car designs look sleeker, but overall they aren't a crazy departure from 30 years ago. If you took a person from 1987 and showed them today's car designs they wouldn't be that amazed.

I was listening to the score of ROTS today and my God, that's a masterpiece.

Indeed. The End Credits/Medley is a fantastic "best of" with all the important musical themes from the entire saga. Understandable, since JW thought it'd be the last score he'd ever write for Star Wars. Taken as a whole, RotS is doubtlessly the best prequel score, simply because it can draw from the previous two, as well as from the OT.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I'm not sure how much people expect things to evolve in the span of 30 years. Do cars really look all that different today than they did in 1987? Sure, some car designs look sleeker, but overall they aren't a crazy departure from 30 years ago. If you took a person from 1987 and showed them today's car designs they wouldn't be that amazed.
you are right, cars generally look the same.

But think about the way Tokyo, New York and Paris look.

Now imagine if north Korea took over the world.

If all production became controlled by that government. What would the world look like in 20 years?

The thing is Joe Johnson had a degree in mechanical engineering. McQuarrie and the other concept people all had experience designing and making things for the real world, and that know how translated to their film and TV work. Everything they came up with looks functional. Today's designers are more like little kids saying "You know what would be cool?" and they go from there, with no real world know how.

Totally agreed here about today's designers! LOL Ralph and Joe, IMO, are the true architects of the SW design language and before people say anything. Yes, under the direction of Lucas. But even tho, both Joe and Ralph really know how to design. This is why I always wish that they will get Joe back, even as consultant for the designs of SW universe which is totally effed up and lost today.

I loved the Naboo fighter, and I liked a lot of the PT designs. They had an ornate flair that fit in with the "Old Republic, before the dark times...". The TFA TIE fighter is dumb, not because it's mostly unchanged in basic design, but because the black and white color scheme looks ridiculous. "You know what would be cool? If TIE fighters looked like storm troopers! Same color and everything!"

Me too! I love the Naboo ships. Yeah, the TFA TIE is a joke. They can have a new SD, new planet size DS, new Stormtroopers, new ATAT but no new TIE. Even the Resistance have T70. The Resistance being small and poorly equipped should still have the T65, isn't it? The design directions just don't make sense in TFA.

you are right, cars generally look the same.

But think about the way Tokyo, New York and Paris look.

Now imagine if north Korea took over the world.

If all production became controlled by that government. What would the world look like in 20 years?

OooooooMG, man you said it!!! This is how I felt about all the new SW designs. Instead of going forward, they are went complete opposite and instead of making fantasy ships looks nice. They made them ugly!

I loved the Naboo fighter, and I liked a lot of the PT designs. They had an ornate flair that fit in with the "Old Republic, before the dark times...".

I always really liked the design of the Naboo Starfighter, and really the art deco design of the prequels in general. For some reason I always think; If the X-Wing was a Colt 1911, then a Naboo Fighter was a Colt 1903. From sleek and curved, to boxy and angular in a short amount of time. Both beautiful in their own way.

Visited the air museum in Seattle last week. One of the highlights was seeing all the Apollo and Mercury crafts.

Then a funny thing happened; I remembe remembered that the engine cowls of the original x-wings were fashioned from parts of the Saturn rocket, as well as some other details about what was kit-bashed to build the space crafts in Star Wars. My visit then took on new meaning.

I love Ralph's designs for the OT. But in looking back at just real world engineering, you can see that wasn't only Ralph who was responsible for that aesthetic.

It was also the times. Late 60s/early 70s had an esthetic and imagination all it's own, and that was a huge influence.

Designers for the new trilogy, I think that aesthetic is lost on them. There's what, 40-50 years of real world design that has evolved, and now influences fantasy. To keep that original Star Wars feel, today's ship designers should build upon not the OT designs, but influenced them, what influenced Ralph.

Today's new trilogy designs seem to draw on a wider range, with even things like manga influencing the feel, so while things like the x-wings and TIEs do evolve, they evolve by 2016 standards, when they should evolve by 1977 design aesthetic.

Hope that makes sense....

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Visited the air museum in Seattle last week. One of the highlights was seeing all the Apollo and Mercury crafts.

Then a funny thing happened; I remembe remembered that the engine cowls of the original x-wings were fashioned from parts of the Saturn rocket, as well as some other details about what was kit-bashed to build the space crafts in Star Wars. My visit then took on new meaning.

I love Ralph's designs for the OT. But in looking back at just real world engineering, you can see that wasn't only Ralph who was responsible for that aesthetic.

It was also the times. Late 60s/early 70s had an esthetic and imagination all it's own, and that was a huge influence.

Designers for the new trilogy, I think that aesthetic is lost on them. There's what, 40-50 years of real world design that has evolved, and now influences fantasy. To keep that original Star Wars feel, today's ship designers should build upon not the OT designs, but influenced them, what influenced Ralph.

Today's new trilogy designs seem to draw on a wider range, with even things like manga influencing the feel, so while things like the x-wings and TIEs do evolve, they evolve by 2016 standards, when they should evolve by 1977 design aesthetic.

Hope that makes sense....

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Makes perfect sense - except for the part "they evolve by 2016 standards, when they should evolve by 1977 design aesthetic". If something in the"real world" was designed in 1977 using a 1977-aesthetic (say, a 1977 Ford), then a 2016 Ford actually represents and incorporates the natural progression of a 1977 aesthetic evolved by all of the aesthetic and cultural influences and changes in the 40 years between 1977 and 2016. In effect, that 2016 Ford design, at some level or other, represents the 1977 aesthetic as evolved over 40 years. Why should the rule be any different for a fictional item designed in 1977? Why should an update to a fictional item originally designed in 1977 be tied to the "1977 design aesthetic" when, just like in the "real" world, 40 years of cultural changes have passed?

M

Edited to add an example: Apple II, computer from the late 1970s. Boxy, beige plastic, like most things in the 1970s. Apple iMac 2016 - completely different in design, materials, aesthetic - sleek, minimal, aluminum, with all of the computing internals moved form the keyboard console to the monitor. But the 2016 machine, though looking completely different due to cultural and aesthetic changes, is evolved from the 1977 Apple II. Why shouldn't the same thing be expected to happen in the SW universe? Should a 2016 iMac instead be beige and bulkier - against all current aesthetic considerations and technological advancements - just to more concretely tie it to the 1977 aesthetic from which it originally evolved?

Last edited:
As far as 1977 goes, the landspeeder was the only thing in the first one that really felt like it had influence from the time.

A lot of the mcquarrie concept art did as well, but by time the model makers got to it, that was lost

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back