The Walking Dead Season 8

for me it all comes down to the writing of the character and JDM's delivery. I think he's a good actor, I was excited when he was cast, but I feel like they completely missed the mark with what his character is supposed to be. His cool guy beatnik persona just doesn't work for me, and the "banter, banter, lean back on elongated syllable" diction is so grating.

To be honest, I find him annoying in the comics, too. Although I may just be annoyed with the comics overall.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

They spent too much screen time trying to establish that Negan was a no-nonsense bad ***. When that was established handily with Glenn's death. But they just kept hammering it home so much they not only got the nail nailed, now they're just making marks on the wood.

I've said this in another topic. But I think they missed a great opportunity to have Negan take Carl under his wing long-term. Have Rick worry about Carl's loyalty, etc. That would have spiced up the season quite nicely.

I actually haven't read past a few comics after All Out War, but how many more seasons can they draw out on the TV show? Would they really have several more seasons of Rick in old man makeup? I think they need to wrap up the show at some point. We don't want it to go all Season 6 LOST on us.

- - - Updated - - -

They spent too much screen time trying to establish that Negan was a no-nonsense bad ***. When that was established handily with Glenn's death. But they just kept hammering it home so much they not only got the nail nailed, now they're just making marks on the wood.

I've said this in another topic. But I think they missed a great opportunity to have Negan take Carl under his wing long-term. Have Rick worry about Carl's loyalty, etc. That would have spiced up the season quite nicely.

Definitely! They wrapped up that story arc way too quickly...

I am kind of looking forward to the time jump. Haggered Rick, piecing everything back together. I also think you will see some Coral/Negan development, would be my guess.

Ok, so I haven't watched any TWD since like an episode or 2 after they off'd Glenn... because I just lost interest.

HOWEVER, I just had a thought when I was scrolling through unread threads and saw this one... I honestly think TWD will kill the zombie horror genre for a long time. It's one of those things where they did something REALLY cool and original for TV. They hooked people in a new way with something that felt really authentic.Anything zombie related that comes out following TWD will always have people saying "Well, TWD already did that." Also, they've gotten to a point now where they've butchered the genre so badly and strung it out for so long I think people will just be burnt out on zombies for a long time. I know I could go without the zombie genre for a while.

On sort of a side note, TWD is one of those stories that really frustrates me because it opens with a BANG but tapers off into a plateau of mediocrity. TWD could have been PERFECT if it had a distinct beginning, middle, and end. Instead, they're stringing it out forever and it has just become "the middle" since they Governor.

TWD is one of the most unfortunate series ever for me because of the potential it had. I followed the comic and the show, so I saw where the show would be going and sort of figured I'd be losing interest. Where the show suffers even more than the comic is that the show has absolutely NO INTENSITY left. There are not stakes in the show. In the comic there was still an element that anybody could die at anytime and horrible things could happen to anybody without warning.

Oh well, at least I still have GoT.

Last edited:
Ok, so I haven't watched any TWD since like an episode or 2 after they off'd Glenn... because I just lost interest.

HOWEVER, I just had a thought when I was scrolling through unread threads and saw this one... I honestly think TWD will kill the zombie horror genre for a long time. It's one of those things where they did something REALLY cool and original for TV. They hooked people in a new way with something that felt really authentic.Anything zombie related that comes out following TWD will always have people saying "Well, TWD already did that." Also, they've gotten to a point now where they've butchered the genre so badly and strung it out for so long I think people will just be burnt out on zombies for a long time. I know I could go without the zombie genre for a while.

I absolutely agree. It's certainly done that for me. The notion of surviving in the midst of a zombie apocalypse has now been done...er...to death. But seriously, it's like we've played out pretty much all of the interesting scenarios, and it's no longer interesting. The madness and confusion of the initial breakdown of society, the gradual decline into lawlessness, the rise of various settlements with differing ideologies run by different types of leaders, those settlements coming into conflict with each other and ultimately one winning out over the other and usually absorbing or wiping out the loser, etc. Meanwhile, the zombies keep on shufflin'. About the only thing left to address is (1) finding the cause/source of the zombie plague, and (2) finding a cure for it.

But yeah, otherwise the standard Zombie Apocalypse thing is...meh...it's been done.

The one show that I think really handles it in an interesting fashion is iZombie, which I love. But it takes a completely different spin on the entire genre.

I also very much agree with you about TWD having too big of a "middle." the show is especially bad about this, because it basically spent about 4-5 seasons with the survivors getting to a location, putting down roots, having it all go to hell, and then walking around again looking for a new location. The truth is, though, that the comics aren't much better. Things happen in a tighter timeframe (e.g., they don't spend half a season walking to the next location), but the comics still suffer from this issue. The big change occurs after the conflict with Negan, but even that change felt...meh. And a new threat was introduced that just struck me as utterly stupid and uninteresting. But really, that's just it -- the story had reached its end point as far as rebuilding civilization goes. Zombies were a threat, but a manageable one. Other human contingents might be a problem, but with a sufficiently organized and well-armed militia/military they could handle it. The problem with the comics is the feeling that everything needs to continue, which means there must continue to be external threats and conflicts. After a while, it all starts to feel the same.

Last edited:
I'd be really interested in seeing what Frank Darabont would have done if he could have continued. I think the show would have gone off in different directions and been less formulaic.

People hammered on the farm episodes. I am in the minority I guess because I loved the farm. The climax of that season was amazing.

People hammered on the farm episodes. I am in the minority I guess because I loved the farm. The climax of that season was amazing.

I actually liked the farm season too, but that's because I binge watched it on Netflix. If I had to slog through months to watch it I might have felt it was drawn out too much.

- - - Updated - - -

To me, the best story related to the Walking Dead is actually the Telltale game. I don't think I've ever been that emotionally invested in a story of this type before. My man Lee and Clem! :tears:

I still wear my Blue Lives Matters t shirt made by a local gun shop, proceeds went to Officers familys who died in the line of duty never had any comments on it and could care less if someone did!

I thought it was a good episode tonight. Can't wait to see more. The ONLY really annoying part, was when Negan walks out and they all have their guns out, START SHOOTING THEN!!!! But I know, they can't do that.

I'd be really interested in seeing what Frank Darabont would have done if he could have continued. I think the show would have gone off in different directions and been less formulaic.

There's bits and pieces of info on what he would have done in the second season, but unknown about what he'd do pass that. One example is that in Season 2, we would have gotten the story of the Walker Rick finds in the tank at the end of the first episode.

I'm glad that the show had an in-memory for Romero. If it wasn't for him, there wouldn't be just a genre, but the WD wouldn't have existed (Kirkman stated that the comic started off as a series based on Night of the Living Dead, but when the rights couldn't be acquired, he took the idea of what he was going to do and turn it into The Walking Dead).

Wow. I guess they didn't have much budget on this episode.
Negan walks right out into the open, gives speech for several minutes, no one shoots. Rick sprays automatic gun fire and misses. Bad writing. We waited how many months for this?

That was total garbage. Rick is happy to indiscriminately kill ever Savior sentry they come across, yet he's got a merciful trigger finger when it comes to the leader of an awful group of people and his lieutenants.

Wasn't the plan to lure the Walker horde to the Saviors' home, which would have resulted in the Saviors wasting time and ammo to deal with it while Rick and company took out the outposts? And wasn't not just Negan, but some of Negan's right hand men they were wanting to take out as well, to make sure tha when Negan was killed, no one would take his place. At least that's what I understood of everything, and acknowledge I could be wrong about of all that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
A) Just. Shoot. Him. How many times are characters going to NOT shoot Neegan when they have the chance?!?!
B) The things they think are bulletproof in this show, oy.

Anyway, I vowed to stop watching this crap, and I'm still doing it, so I guess I'm part of the problem. But honestly, this episode can be summed up as Rick and company don't kill the bad guy when they easily could, then they shoot through some windows, then there's an ad for Taurus guns, something something zombies.

There have been a lot of good moments and full episodes over the seasons. Yes ... a lot of filler too. I watched the 1+ hour, "Journey so Far" recap before last nights season premier and it was a great lead in for the episode.

Overall, not a great episode for me. Not a fan of the jumbled time line (did that in the season 6 premier) nor the "dream sequence". I'll have to watch it again tonight and see if it makes a little more sense.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back