Adding sound to the Gears of War PDP Lancer

Thorn

Hi all! It's been a while since I've been able to tinker with anything but I think I've got a semi-interesting project.

My wife bought me a Gears of War PDP lancer for my birthday and I'd like to add some sound to it. Hard to believe they added the lights but skimped on the sound effects!
_pdp_lancer-301_with-lights_1.png

So here's the plan: Cheat profusely and use the Adafruit Audio FX Mini Board!

Here are the components I'm planning on picking up. Do you think a 3W speaker will be too loud?

Adafruit_Lancer_Sound_components.PNG

too loud? (no)..

it will be muted a bit anyways being inside the gun/rig..

Also... what speaker does the board say it can drive? (actually I guess check whatever amp you end up using)

You could probably just get a Pro-Mini (for cheaper) and have more I/O pins and more memory..etc.. in stead of using a Pro-Trinket..

Also... I have never personally owned one of the mini FX boards... but I would check:

1.) How you upload/transfer the files... something you need a specific cable or specific app... (sometimes its just an SD card somewhere)

Actually.. what are you going to be using the Trinket for anyways? other behavior? (I thought the FX board can run/work all by itself from simple button additions?.. but there are so many I could be wrong/confusing it with the many other variants they offer... but worth another look)

While a little more advanced... I have made a few blaster projects all with custom PCB/electronics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj58wl-aT0M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEFNH2zFVy4

Good luck!

That board is a great little board. Perfect for this project. Adafruit has a great tutorial on it. I would recommend picking up the version with the on board amp. They should have speaker specs for it. You may want to consider cutting a slim grill for the speaker to allow for a little more sound to be heard. You may want to consider using the stock trigger wiring for your sound effects. Since the board can be controlled via trigger pulls, it should all work pretty seamlessly.

According to the Adafruit site the amp is "able to deliver 2 x 3.7W channels into 3 ohm impedance speakers".

You can add files to the sound board by connecting it to a PC via USB. The PC reads it as a standard external USB drive. I believe the file name determines what sound will be played by which trigger.

You're right - the sound board is a standalone unit. The trinket component is just for adding the adding the capability to use a Lithium Ion Polymer battery. And make it rechargeable.

I just watched your YouTube vids. Holy F!!!! That DC-17 is epic! But also beyond my meager skills!

too loud? (no)..

it will be muted a bit anyways being inside the gun/rig..

Also... what speaker does the board say it can drive? (actually I guess check whatever amp you end up using)

You could probably just get a Pro-Mini (for cheaper) and have more I/O pins and more memory..etc.. in stead of using a Pro-Trinket..

Also... I have never personally owned one of the mini FX boards... but I would check:

1.) How you upload/transfer the files... something you need a specific cable or specific app... (sometimes its just an SD card somewhere)

Actually.. what are you going to be using the Trinket for anyways? other behavior? (I thought the FX board can run/work all by itself from simple button additions?.. but there are so many I could be wrong/confusing it with the many other variants they offer... but worth another look)

While a little more advanced... I have made a few blaster projects all with custom PCB/electronics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj58wl-aT0M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEFNH2zFVy4

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet! That was my original plan but they had stopped selling it for a while.

I just checked and they're offering the board with the built in amp again. So now I just ordered that one instead.

Thanks for bringing it up. They just started offering them again on the 14th and I wouldn't have checked otherwise.

That board is a great little board. Perfect for this project. Adafruit has a great tutorial on it. I would recommend picking up the version with the on board amp. They should have speaker specs for it. You may want to consider cutting a slim grill for the speaker to allow for a little more sound to be heard. You may want to consider using the stock trigger wiring for your sound effects. Since the board can be controlled via trigger pulls, it should all work pretty seamlessly.

Sweet! That was my original plan but they had stopped selling it for a while.

I just checked and they're offering the board with the built in amp again. So now I just ordered that one instead.

Thanks for bringing it up. They just started offering them again on the 14th and I wouldn't have checked otherwise.

Its a perfect board for your application. Good luck

RE: DC-17... Thanks!

I'm really just an 'average' Arduino user... I moved form the regular old board everyone buys (UNO's).. then on the the Pro-Mini's.. form there.. breadboard my own 'stand alone' compatible circuits.. and then on to designing my own custom PCB's.. (with the same 'stand alone' circuits.. with whatever else my project needed at the time)..

I've done some Iron Man stiff.. SpiderMan webshooter electronics.. some blasters..etc.. (then other junk like home automation.. and web enabled stuff... bluetooth controlled projects.. ESP8266 based projects..etc).. it all kind of 'leads into each other'..

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back