Ghostbusters (2016) (Post-release)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That article is now complaining about the Leslie Jones wig. They said something about white teenagers buying the wig and costume and then putting on black face. Nothing like giving teenagers stupid ideas for Halloween.

actually, i was focused more on the 'heels' that the writer of the article claimed where 'witch heels'... it is a halloween costume, after all.

I don't have anyone on ignore either. It's more fun to see how completely clueless some people are.

Now some people talk a big game about putting people on ignore, but they don't, because they keep talking about your posts because it bothers them a lot more than it bothers you.

I find it, and them, HILARIOUS.

I also find it HILARIOUS how people on a prop forum can be so pretentious and douchey. Character disorder because someone hates a movie and rants about it on the internet? Some people make a good living that way. Sad to see that the gang up mentality is still alive and well within groups of people, even on a prop forum/nerd haven but hey, this is the internet so what do you expect. *shrug*

- - - Updated - - -

That's a fair point. Central Intelligence had a $50M budget.

And as far as I know, wasnt an existing IP.

I also find it HILARIOUS how people on a prop forum can be so pretentious and douchey. Character disorder because someone hates a movie and rants about it on the internet? Some people make a good living that way. Sad to see that the gang up mentality is still alive and well within groups of people, even on a prop forum/nerd haven but hey, this is the internet so what do you expect. *shrug* .

For those who don't understand how quoted posts work ;o)...The only reason i poke fun at my ignore list on occasion, is because sometimes those posts will show up on quoted posts from people that AREN'T on my ignore list. sometimes it's hard to resist not making fun of the lunacy when it's tougher to scroll past it.......

I lost a bet with myself just now on the previous post, for instance...

But, for the most part, it's easy to totally avoid these people by browsing ignored post after ignored post. makes life so much nicer, don't you agree? :)
but yeah, it's the only way you can survive the crazy that is the internet these days is by using that ignore button..

anyway, after being deviated from the topic for, what, now, the 20th time since this movie began ? back on to this stupid little movie.

anyone want to take bets on when it'll deviate back next? :)

I think one of my favorite contradicting comments about this movie so far was just read recently.. ..

'I'm not going to sit here and say it's a bad movie, but I didn't like it!'

I think they kinda just did without out right committing too it ;o)
Well, not really.

When it seemed like everybody was raving over Avatar I watched it and didn't like it at all. I can't say that it's, technically, a lousy film. It's just another white savior film with cutting edge effects and 3D. For most people in the world that's enough. For me it's not.

Pretty much any time Venkman deals with women, for one thing.

I have always thought he was more off-putting & creepy than funny in those scenes. It bugged me even when I was a young kid.

Ha. yeah... I sort of mentioned that when I rewatched GB1... Bill Murray was being super weird in Dana's apartment. Also VERY unprofessional. Could you imagine hiring a plumber and he's professing his love and won't leave within 5 minutes of you allowing him in your home?

I never have and never will put anyone on ignore. I find character disorders fascinating.

I would never block anyone, because I may not agree with something they are saying in one thread, doesn't mean I don't agree with or appreciate their insight in another. Which is the case with a couple of people in this thread. Even the guy who has me blocked, I currently agree with points made in another thread... can't agree with him or discuss further since, you know, he has me blocked.

I also find it HILARIOUS how people on a prop forum can be so pretentious and douchey. Character disorder because someone hates a movie and rants about it on the internet? Some people make a good living that way. Sad to see that the gang up mentality is still alive and well within groups of people, even on a prop forum/nerd haven but hey, this is the internet so what do you expect. *shrug*

The problem is that these threads are for discussion of the flick....

I find it interesting to hear positive AND negative thoughts, breakdowns of the movie by other commentators in this thread.

But that's not what's happening... instead it's link after link of "Here's ANOTHER person who hated the movie! Here's MORE articles about how people hate this movie! Here's more people who like this movie that must be shills... Here's more proof it sucks... here are more lies... hey look how much money it's losing..."

Then someone see's it, gives their opinion... people agree disagree... it's interesting to read...

Then more posts of "And here's another person who's not part of this conversation... here's more conspiracy theories! here are more made up things about racism that were probably written by Sony."

It's a drag.

Ha. yeah... I sort of mentioned that when I rewatched GB1... Bill Murray was being super weird in Dana's apartment. Also VERY unprofessional. Could you imagine hiring a plumber and he's professing his love and won't leave within 5 minutes of you allowing him in your home?

Today that wouldnt be tolerated, but that was a snapshot of the 80's. Kinda like how a hysterical woman would get shaken by a man to 'snap out of it' in the 40's. Thats abuse today. But overall I liked Bills pervy performance as it added some spice compared to the uptight Egon.

Today that wouldnt be tolerated, but that was a snapshot of the 80's. Kinda like how a hysterical woman would get shaken by a man to 'snap out of it' in the 40's. Thats abuse today. But overall I liked Bills pervy performance as it added some spice compared to the uptight Egon.

When they did the "How It Should Have Ended" cartoon skit for Ghostbusters I do wish one of the endings would have been Venkman getting arrested or a restraining order, just to riff on that modern criticism of the movie.

The problem is that these threads are for discussion of the flick....

I find it interesting to hear positive AND negative thoughts, breakdowns of the movie by other commentators in this thread.

But that's not what's happening... instead it's link after link of "Here's ANOTHER person who hated the movie! Here's MORE articles about how people hate this movie! Here's more people who like this movie that must be shills... Here's more proof it sucks... here are more lies... hey look how much money it's losing..."

Then someone see's it, gives their opinion... people agree disagree... it's interesting to read...

Then more posts of "And here's another person who's not part of this conversation... here's more conspiracy theories! here are more made up things about racism that were probably written by Sony."

It's a drag.

Youre right, and I do agree with you, it is a drag. But its also a drag to out right attack someone, or say they have a disorder, or condescendingly mock them, if that particular person bothers you THAT much to where you have to say something? Put em on ignore. I just dont like the grabbing of the pitch forks and ganging up on someone. I get it, some people are more passionate about certain things than others. But to be so douchey about it...bothers me. Would those people be like that in real life, or are they hiding behind the veil of the internet?

But I totally get what youre saying. Maybe the people that wanted to bash the movie should have started a GB16 Bashing thread, then the people that wanted to do so could talk among themselves, but its too late for that.

But I totally get what youre saying. Maybe the people that wanted to bash the movie should have started a GB16 Bashing thread, then the people that wanted to do so could talk among themselves, but its too late for that.

I did. Way back in April. That thread got suspiciously locked pretty quickly..
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=260189 of course, a few requests to delete it outright since no one will let us detractors use it seem to have gone ignored....quite odd ;o)

All that's left is the ignore button, since supporters refuse to play nice with the detractors. not just here, either. it's all over the place.

But, that's OK. it's interesting to see how things degrade further at this point ;o).

I did. Way back in April. That thread got suspiciously locked pretty quickly..
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=260189 of course, a few requests to delete it outright since no one will let us detractors use it seem to have gone ignored....quite odd ;o)

All that's left is the ignore button, since supporters refuse to play nice with the detractors. not just here, either. it's all over the place.

But, that's OK. it's interesting to see how things degrade further at this point ;o).

Ok well then thats ridiculous. Why would the damn thing get locked? :confused

Ok well then thats ridiculous. Why would the damn thing get locked? :confused

who knows how people think these days?

All you can do is make best of with what you've got and continue being you.

that's all pretty much anyone can ask of ones self..

Youre right, and I do agree with you, it is a drag. But its also a drag to out right attack someone, or say they have a disorder, or condescendingly mock them, if that particular person bothers you THAT much to where you have to say something? Put em on ignore. I just dont like the grabbing of the pitch forks and ganging up on someone. I get it, some people are more passionate about certain things than others. But to be so douchey about it...bothers me. Would those people be like that in real life, or are they hiding behind the veil of the internet?

I've heard this a lot in this thread... and if I'm being looked at as "attacking" Neil, for what was said, I do apologize...

Early on in the orignal GB discussion, I did say he was dragging down the thread, not really attacking, I think I said he needed to relax.

I DID write at one point "You sir, are drunk" in regards to him saying "sounds like a typical paul feig disaster." (Which was nonsense since he hasn't had "disasters" - just movies Neil may not have liked) I would have thought it would would be read in the light manner it was meant. As I obviously didn't really think he was drunk posting. I also followed up with a jokey fake conversation. No actual ill will intended. And he didn't seem to take offense... just responded normally.

But I believe I was put on ignore when he mocked a girl who liked the flick:

"I wonder if this person went in with an open mind..

Probably not.

Bet no one calls her crazy. or drunk."

So apparently he WAS offended... but I replied with

"I'll wait to see if she goes on about how great it is for the better part of the next year finding every article printed to back it up and speaking in absolute hyperbole and passing opinion as fact. :D"

Which again, more ribbing... thus the smiley face. But now I'm on ignore for it.

No big deal, but unfortunate - He may have seen some things he agrees with on my overall assesment, as I agreed with a lot of his on Star Trek Beyond.

My "humor" can be very sarcastic or wink wink nudge nudge, so sorry if it was taken the wrong way or as bullying.

For example, my Sister in law is mad at me for my sense of humor. We were over her my brother in laws place and for pretty much the entire time I Was there, I was wrestling with my 6 year old nephew - good times. As we were leaving, I was holding him upside down and swinging him around. She see's this and says "Hey you can take him home with you if you want."

I immediately stopped... slowly walked him over to the couch (hanging upside down), lowered him softly, put the blanket over him, slowly walked back, pretending to dust myself off, paused in front of her and said

"Hard pass"

Everyone laughed. But then I got home and my brother in law called saying "So why does Ellery hate our kid??!?!"

Whaaat?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard this a lot in this thread... and if I'm being looked at as "attacking" Neil, for what was said, I do apologize...
I've apologized to Neil multiple times in multiple locations for any unintended bad mojo or hurt feelings. It's no use. He likes throwing around the victim card, while at the same time being super aggressive. There's snark and witty banter all over these GB16 threads, but I haven't seen many, if any, be as mean to Neil as he would claim. It's quite dramatic and a bit humorous.

If someone barrages the thread with endless vitriolic hate, conspiracy theories, and overly reaching, whiney rants-- day in, day out-- with almost zero interest in having actual logical point/counterpoint discussion on the topic at hand, then it shouldn't be any shock when people start reacting. Throw in making fun of crew member's names, wishing people to lose their jobs/careers, being critical of the looks/weight/"hotness" of cast members, and it's a little hard to take the victim card being thrown around at face value. Hate breeds hate-- I'm sure if he had been a cool conversationalist during this entire, what-- 2 year span? He probably wouldn't have so many people on ignore.

Enough of that mess, here's a concept rendering of the mobster Slimer! What a disgusting blob! Interesting take, but I'm glad they went with something more traditional. It looks like the production design was leaning more towards dark/gruesome/gross at first. I wish more of this stuff would start popping up!

untitled.1640.jpg

"My stomach is already turning over the possibility that a handful of idiot white kids will get the bright idea to make their traditional Halloween blackface Ghostbusters-themed this year,"

Yes, because only "white kids" would get that idea. :rolleyes

NeoRutty I wasnt even talking about you per se, it was Bryancd, and James Kenobi 1138 mostly. FunkyJedi and Karmajay probably, but the threads have got so long Im not going to cite specific examples. Its just funny how people get so up in arms on both sides to the point where, in honesty, NeilT doesnt actually KNOW any of the people he is talking about. He doesnt freaking know Amy Pascal or Paul Feig, who the hell cares if he talks trash about them and what decisions they made with a franchise that he cares about? The dude is ranting on a forum, with strings of text and links to articles ON THE INTERNET. You guys make him out to be some card carrying loon that are free to bash him and be condescending with that mob mentality(looking at you James Kenobi 1138, Bryancd, FunkyJedi, Karmajay). And yeah, sometimes he gets excessive, but...its the internet. Dont read his crap. Simple as that. Its like some people LIKE to gang up on him. This Ghostbuster thread is the only thread I have seen that with too. Granted I havent been here as long as most of you, but still. This is the ONLY instance I have seen of this.
d_osborn So what if he wishes Paul Feig ends up jobless. Is he going to because of NeilT's rants on a stupid website? Of course not. Now if NeilT was making picket signs outside of sony, and went to various news outlets spewing bile and actually got attention and then Sony looked and said "youre right, we should fire this guy" (obviously Im being sarcastic) and he DID get Feig fired? Then yeah, I would be right with you guys and be like "the dude is a nut". But thats not the case at all. AT ALL. Its just funny how so many people can be so pretentious about stuff. This is the only forum I visit so maybe its like that all over, I dont know.

The hands on that slimer remind me of the melting man from the original robocop, everything else looks awful. Really uninspired. I feel like an art student in high school made that. :lol

Interesting points on GB 16 making average comedy money... that's really right on the mark.

They failed in that they put the budget in for a sci-fi comedy action blockbuster, but only delivered comedy... and not a funny enough comedy to hit the kind of boxoffice that comedies like "The Hangover" bring in.

Also, I was thinking further on the Patty character... and why she works. She's obviously the Winston, but was introduced earlier and given more to do. Winston served as a "joke"... he was just some dude looking for a paycheque... had no real stakes in what they were doing. He's like a kid working at Subway who could give a crap about the business or being a sandwich artist. It's kind of weird he's even in the second film. Or he should have been introduced later in the second as "Oh hey, so more ghosts? Got any work?"

Patty didn't come in looking for work... she saw a ghost and wanted to help.

Winston is also there to have things explained to the audience. No point having Egon explain everything to Ray or Venkman... explain it to the non scientist new guy...

Which is what KEVIN should have been used for... to explain to the idiot exactly what's going down. That's why dumb characters exist in movies... to have the leads explain the plot so they can avoid boring exposition.

BTW, I should state that I love Winston, and he's maybe my favorite guy in the first. Especially rewatching and realizing it was WINSTON who said the following brilliant line:

"My stomach is already turning over the possibility that a handful of idiot white kids will get the bright idea to make their traditional Halloween blackface Ghostbusters-themed this year,"

Yes, because only "white kids" would get that idea. :rolleyes

I also dont get how things get misconstrued as wanting to dress up as a black character as "black face". To me, black face is the make up from the 20's and 30's that they deliberately used to make fun of african american people. Yeah, that of course is abhorrent. But to want to dress up as Winston? What the hell is wrong with that? Like when that blonde girl dressed up as someone from orange is the new black and they were all up in arms over it, she didnt do anything insensitive. She wasnt mocking black people, she just painted herself a darker shade. The times we live in SUCK. :facepalm

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting points on GB 16 making average comedy money... that's really right on the mark.

They failed in that they put the budget in for a sci-fi comedy action blockbuster, but only delivered comedy... and not a funny enough comedy to hit the kind of boxoffice that comedies like "The Hangover" bring in.

Also, I was thinking further on the Patty character... and why she works. She's obviously the Winston, but was introduced earlier and given more to do. Winston served as a "joke"... he was just some dude looking for a paycheque... had no real stakes in what they were doing. He's like a kid working at Subway who could give a crap about the business or being a sandwich artist. It's kind of weird he's even in the second film. Or he should have been introduced later in the second as "Oh hey, so more ghosts? Got any work?"

Patty didn't come in looking for work... she saw a ghost and wanted to help.

Winston is also there to have things explained to the audience. No point having Egon explain everything to Ray or Venkman... explain it to the non scientist new guy...

Which is what KEVIN should have been used for... to explain to the idiot exactly what's going down. That's why dumb characters exist in movies... to have the leads explain the plot so they can avoid boring exposition.

BTW, I should state that I love Winston, and he's maybe my favorite guy in the first. Especially rewatching and realizing it was WINSTON who said the following brilliant line:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6LD6ITN2dk

The bummer about that is they cut winstons character down after Eddie Murphy declined the role, like 70 percent or something. I LOVE Eddie Murphy, I cant even imagine what he would have brought to the franchise if he accepted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back