GHOSTBUSTERS Pre-Release - film discussion only, no social commentary please!

No, I think you're missing my point. (Well, points, plural.)

These specific posters aren't my issue. You say they predate the greenlight for this film, and I take you at your word. Some random employee probably hung them for no particular reason.

My points are:

1. It's reasonable -- if you didn't know the posters predate this film's release/pre-release hype -- to think that their sudden appearance is somehow tied to a marketing effort. That's because the marketing team has already attempted to do just this by hearkening back (repeatedly) to the original film in a variety of ways, so as to generate goodwill for the new film which has nothing to do with the old one aside from the brand, some design schemes, and lifting of similar material from the old film for use in the new one. You'd still be factually wrong, but it's understandable why someone might make the mistake in the first place.

2. It's generally crappy that studios keep relying on branding/marketing to push otherwise lackluster films. Strip the GB brand out of this film, and I'll bet you people wouldn't give it a moment's thought. Same story for the bulk of the reboots/branded properties out there (e.g. GI Joe/Transformers/Ninja Turtles/etc.). I'm tired of reboots in general, and especially reboots that are primarily just marketing campaigns wrapped around a lackluster film.

Couldnt agree more with this. Especially with the second point. Studios are banking on brand recognition in order to sell movie tickets to new dreck. The thing with this movie is, is that they are RELYING on it. Jettajeffro and his buying of anything with a ghostbuster logo is a perfect example of the people they are trying to rope in. Its not just about movies anymore, its total spaceballs, and all about merchandising. The ghosts look like scooby doo, and Im sorry, if you think that ANY of the "jokes" they have showed so far are funny, then wow. You must have a great time with a game of peek a boo...Cause damn. They could have went a different route and made it scarier than the first one, but the only direction they took with this movie is south. And no, I dont have to spend money and "wait and see, you cant judge!" the movie to know that.

No, I think you're missing my point.
Oh, well yeah, I totally agree with you on point 2. It's nothing new, though. That's the current climate of the film biz, and has been for no telling how long. In 1989, when BATMAN was being marketed heavily, my mother picked me up a set of the 1943 BATMAN movie serials on VHS, along with the 1966 movie. I fell in love and have been a Batman fan ever since. This kind of thing has been going on for decades. It's exactly what milking an IP is all about. Why else would Sony buy Marvel or Star Wars? Why else would Sony Columbia release a new GB movie? I guess I'm just used to it. :lol

I still don't see how a Red Robin having GB posters hanging in a bathroom hallway is desperate marketing on Sony's part. It's hot ticket vintage pop culture ephemera-- exactly the sort of thing chain restaurants hang. No different than vintage Ford Mustang posters.

...and @jettajeffro, I'm totally down for a game of peek-a-boo if you are. :cool

To be fair, studios have been doing this for ages, especially with licensed merchandise. I'm sure we can all point to a franchise or two that for ages has been coasting on its brand and putting out mediocre-at-best material.

The difference is that now what you have is studios that are wrapping otherwise pretty generic and mediocre films in a recognizable brand and figuring people will go for it.

I still don't see how a Red Robin having GB posters hanging in a bathroom hallway is desperate marketing on Sony's part. It's hot ticket vintage pop culture ephemera-- exactly the sort of thing chain restaurants hang. No different than vintage Ford Mustang posters.

It's not, and I concede that point.

What I'm saying is that it's reasonable, under the current circumstances and given what Sony has actually done to market this movie, to assume that the posters are new material being put up to promote the new film, IF you don't already know that they predate the new film. That's all. I don't think it's evidence of Sony's desperation, because...it isn't. Other stuff might be, but that specific instance isn't. But if you don't know the posters are old, it's reasonable to react to seeing them by assuming it's part of some lame marketing attempt. Like I said, we know they rereleased Hi-C Ecto Cooler specifically to tie in with the film and help market it.

What I'm saying is that it's reasonable, under the current circumstances and given what Sony has actually done to market this movie, to assume that the posters are new material being put up to promote the new film, IF you don't already know that they predate the new film. That's all. I don't think it's evidence of Sony's desperation, because...it isn't. Other stuff might be, but that specific instance isn't. But if you don't know the posters are old, it's reasonable to react to seeing them by assuming it's part of some lame marketing attempt. Like I said, we know they rereleased Hi-C Ecto Cooler specifically to tie in with the film and help market it.

I've found it's easier on your psyche if you just put certain people on ignore. there are ways of telling people they are wrong without saying 'it's a mind boggling reach' ;o).. everything we've seen from crazy sony so far would beg to differ.

and clearly i'm not the only one who thought this, otherwise the imdb thread wouldn't exist.

Maybe it's just a hip restaurant that prefers hanging stuff like this over bad modern art paintings. maybe a nerd runs the joint and thought people 'd get a laugh out of it. or, maybe it is something some random sony marketing firm did.

with all the weird stuff they've done so far (including the soccer add that only had the films stars in it for about 10 seconds flat).....I honestly wouldn't put it past them.
It's not that far of a leap in judgment IMHO.

To be fair, studios have been doing this for ages, especially with licensed merchandise. I'm sure we can all point to a franchise or two that for ages has been coasting on its brand and putting out mediocre-at-best material.

The difference is that now what you have is studios that are wrapping otherwise pretty generic and mediocre films in a recognizable brand and figuring people will go for it.

I get that movies have been licensing stuff for ages, but thats usually after the success of the first film. A lot of the marketing, including the freaking trailer, is referring to the old stuff to get you to want to see this. Its so weird. I cant think of a recent movie, aside from this one, that did that. What other movie in recent times has done that? I dont remember the exact words, but go back to the first trailer. The ecto cooler, the toys, the stay puft marshmallows. Pretty much everything.

I don't know-- I guess it all depends on how you view mediocre films. Superman III? Batman Forever? SW Prequels? Hell... ROTJ? Robocop 2/3? Franchise slasher movies? Trek? POTA? Mediocrity within franchised cinema isn't a new thing in my eyes.

I can see that, but if it were something I wasn't a huge fan of, say... GI Joe, Transformers, Dirty Dancing, Trek, etc... I would automatically think that similar throwback posters are advertising for the new versions of those titles. Then again, the franchise train is rolling on this one. Sony is pouring out licensed goods like crazy, all with the purpose of getting the brand out there in people's heads, in discussion, in social media, etc.

Personally, I'm jazzed to see the looming round of Mondo/Gallery1988 art GB themed art gallery exhibitions!

Even if you don't know the posters pre-date the reboot, there's really nothing in the throwback posters that are marketing the movie-- name and logo aside. No release date, no cast images, different logo treatments, even down to nitpicky fan details that casual observers might not pick up on-- different prop designs, different car, etc. Marketing for this film is being plastered with corporate-approved style guide elements and release dates.

I've found it's easier on your psyche if you just put certain people on ignore. there are ways of telling people they are wrong without saying 'it's a mind boggling reach' ;o)
I'm glad Neil found his safe space. He obviously doesn't like mature, logical holes being punched in his angry, entitled fanboy rants. :lol

I get that movies have been licensing stuff for ages, but thats usually after the success of the first film. A lot of the marketing, including the freaking trailer, is referring to the old stuff to get you to want to see this. Its so weird. I cant think of a recent movie, aside from this one, that did that. What other movie in recent times has done that? I dont remember the exact words, but go back to the first trailer. The ecto cooler, the toys, the stay puft marshmallows. Pretty much everything.
This reboot was designed from Day One to milk the franchise. Even when it was a sequel. Same with TFA-- semantics on sequel vs reboot. Sony, Aykroyd, Reitman, Murray, et al knew the franchise powerhouse would deliver a blank check to their door. It's nothing new.

...but I agree. Even with the reboot, I kinda wish they would have laid off of the nostalgia-- let it stand on it's own.

Last edited:
I don't know-- I guess it all depends on how you view mediocre films. Superman III? Batman Forever? SW Prequels? Hell... ROTJ? Robocop 2/3? Franchise slasher movies? Trek? POTA? Mediocrity within franchised cinema isn't a new thing in my eyes.

Right, I don't disagree that we've seen plenty of franchise horses beaten to death and then some. The reboot thing, though, is different. There's no real attempt to tie the current film into the old continuity (which used to be how it was done). Now, the films can be all over the map. You could end up with an almost shot-for-shot remake like Gus Van Sant's Psycho, or you could end up with something that bears only a passing resemblance to the original brand like the first G.I. Joe film or the Transformers films. I think this Ghostbusters film falls somewhere in between, trying to be different and yet the same, all at once. And it doesn't seem (to me) like they've struck an effective balance.

People, of course, may not care. Because, in the end, they may simply respond to the brand being dimly familiar to them, and here's a new movie that's mildly entertaining, so they plunk down their cash, grab a tub of popcorn, and veg out for 100min.

But for me, the key difference with reboot/branding culture is in just how little connection to the essence of what made the old films good there is in the new stuff, and how much just the brand is seen as the real key.

I can see that, but if it were something I wasn't a huge fan of, say... GI Joe, Transformers, Dirty Dancing, Trek, etc... I would automatically think that similar throwback posters are advertising for the new versions of those titles. Then again, the franchise train is rolling on this one. Sony is pouring out licensed goods like crazy, all with the purpose of getting the brand out there in people's heads, in discussion, in social media, etc.

Personally, I'm jazzed to see the looming round of Mondo/Gallery1988 art GB themed art gallery exhibitions!

Even if you don't know the posters pre-date the reboot, there's really nothing in the throwback posters that are marketing the movie-- name and logo aside. No release date, no cast images, different logo treatments, even down to nitpicky fan details that casual observers might not pick up on-- different prop designs, different car, etc. Marketing for this film is being plastered with corporate-approved style guide elements and release dates.

There's nothing directly marketing the new stuff, no. But given the deluge of new (and resurrected) merchandise out there all of a sudden, it's understandable that someone might assume some it was some weird guerilla marketing effort.

I think this Ghostbusters film falls somewhere in between, trying to be different and yet the same, all at once. And it doesn't seem (to me) like they've struck an effective balance.

But for me, the key difference with reboot/branding culture is in just how little connection to the essence of what made the old films good there is in the new stuff, and how much just the brand is seen as the real key.
It really seems to me that they made a tone-based film adaptation of RGB more than a remake of the original film. I'd go so far as to say it's a better RGB adaptation than GB2. Looking through those glasses, GB16 makes sense to me.

I'm with you, though-- I think it would have been more interesting to see Feig's earlier ideas rather than the hamfisted references.

People, of course, may not care. Because, in the end, they may simply respond to the brand being dimly familiar to them, and here's a new movie that's mildly entertaining, so they plunk down their cash, grab a tub of popcorn, and veg out for 100min.
Ding, ding, ding-- right here. I don't see big-budget Hollywood tentpole films as anything but a fun way to spend two hours on a weekend. I say that as a PASSIONATE GB fan. Modern stuff is dumbed down, low-level entertainment. I don't expect to see anything otherwise. I've been that way for years. Go in with low expectations and you'll never be disappointed.

Want more visual medium substance for your money? Seek out independent cinema or current TV drama, which is in a golden age.

Last edited:
Jettajeffro and his buying of anything with a ghostbuster logo is a perfect example of the people they are trying to rope in.

Just like McDonalds, I'm lovin' it!

However there's some things even I won't buy

IMG_0315.JPG

Last edited:
Oh Buzzfeed...

12 Things You Can Do To Support The New “Ghostbusters” Movie Against The Haters

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alannabennett/cant-bring-us-down?utm_term=.eubjm3KVV#.hgVb2N5XX

it's really gotten quite ludicrous at this point, hasn't it?

Al Bundy Speech-

we aren't telling you not to enjoy your movie. just pointing it out for the complete utter **** that it is.

it's really that simple.

And we are brave enough to point out that it's ****...and not be bullied by the ball busters of the world, into joining the uber happy lipstick brigade..
What do we get for our efforts? being called every name in the book.
Man Babies, Neck Beards, crazy, high reachers....and Man Fans....

Apparently the only way to defend this movie is to lash out at it's 'attackers' with articles like these as the writers swing their burning panty hose in a circle above their typewriters.

if you like ****, feel free to enjoy it. thanks to you, there will be plenty more coming....and when it doesn't follow your narrative, and wipes over something you enjoyed...and it better not be my tangwitch....don't expect us to listen to your lady tears. we'll just sit hear quietly and soak it all in..

....at the nudy bar, with the real women. no clucking noises and chicken legs there. it's also feather free.

End Al Bundy Speech.

This speech is meant at 50% parody and satire. feel free to decide which parts. this is a message by the local no ma'aam chapter of 00100100

Have they done any critic screenings yet? If not thats a huge sign of a stinker. All in, this movie needs to churn out $300 mill to break even. Dont see that happening.

There will be a lot of moms & daughters (and dads & daughters) going to this movie who might not have gone to an all-male GB reboot.

This movie won't be Star Wars. But I think it could make pretty decent money, as long as it doesn't forcibly kill the kid audience appeal with inappropriate talk or something (and Hollywood is capable of being that stupid sometimes).

There will be a lot of moms & daughters (and dads & daughters) going to this movie who might not have gone to an all-male GB reboot.

This movie won't be Star Wars. But I think it could make pretty decent money, as long as it doesn't forcibly kill the kid audience appeal with inappropriate talk or something (and Hollywood is capable of being that stupid sometimes).

IT's a paul feig movie. even a PG13 movie you can bet he'll sneak something in.

Have you seen Spy? ('there's a rat on my ****!'

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back