Help a noob for all you 3d modelers

jmgrice

Sr Member
Hey!
Just starting out trying to get into the 3d modelling so I can justify a printer. Wondered if anyone knew any obvious tips when dealing with curves etc.
For instance. In the picture. You can tell theres some points where the Ironman curve is. Is there anyway to make it like some kind of average curve without deforming it out of shape? Same with the faceplate surface. I think its almost there. Looks smooth with the subdivision on. But my plotted vertex points are sort of eyeballed in from the side view due to the shape.

Any other obvious tips from you lot with experience that you ran into doing the same stuff is greatly welcome.

That's the thing with so many tutorials. Can take ages to find out whats wrong and its something so simple!

Actually modelling the mk vii but this is the best reference I can find with side views so making the mk iii then just going to edit the vent etc to a front view picture. (If that makes sense)

~[/URL

You need the topology along that edge to follow it instead of having that type of intersection on the corner. That's called a "pole" where more than 4 edges come together and while you can have them to keep your mesh all quads you need to put them in other locations.
Also, with Sub-D modeling you would set up that mesh with much lower polygon geometry and then use smoothing (in 3ds Max it'd be Turbosmooth or Meshsmooth) to smooth it to the desired level. To get the corners sharp you would have to add supporting loops along the corner to keep it sharp once it's subdivided.
You'd be looking for topology like this: http://samuelasare.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/ironwire.jpg

Thanks. My fault. I've got smoothing on in that picture. My mesh is actually more simple then the one in your picture. Ill post another picture tomorrow when I'm back at the computer.
Ill look into the poles. As I've got triangles along that edge and know it's frowned upon in mesh modeling. I kept the corners sharp by adjusting a mean setting (can't remember the name) to 1.0 which stopped the smoothing from affecting the main edges.

Side question:
Is it always possible to get squares all round? If not are triangles or Pentagon's better?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Just curious here, but where did you hear that triangles were bad and squares were better? It is my understanding that when your file is converted to STL, it gets chopped into triangles anyway?

Just curious here, but where did you hear that triangles were bad and squares were better? It is my understanding that when your file is converted to STL, it gets chopped into triangles anyway?

Modeling in squares gives you cleaner topology when you're working, making your model easier to see in wireframe and also it allows you to easily port your files into a sculpting program later on. but triangles aren't bad. and sometimes just unavoidable. but you just end up with a cleaner model in the end.

Modeling in squares gives you cleaner topology when you're working making your model easier to see in wireframe and also it allows you to easily port your files into a sculpting program later on. but triangles aren't bad. and sometimes just unavoidable. but you just end up with a cleaner model in the end.

Good to know. Thanks.

I see. Don't feel so bad now. Its only a first try so km pretty happy with it. Just like to get a more 'natural curve' without relying too much on a small amount of vertex points.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

You can use whatever shapes you want, if it gets you the results. The reason that people use quads is because it's predictable, as you can tell from your case it's getting messed up on that edge so using quads along the edge will fix it. But on smoother surfaces you can hide a triangle where it won't cause much of a problem or if the edge it makes works to your advantage for the shape you're going for.

quads are important for using subdivision (eg turbosmooth), as it gets a bit flaky when odd numbered sides are used. http://www.munkmotion.com/tutorials/nsx/2b.htm
he gets around areas that need triangles like this:
2o.gif

Thanks for all the tips.

On another note if anyone could help. Am I supposed to model the whole helmet as one then separate the parts? If not how do I ensure they sit flush if I were to 3d print them?

Also. How do I go about the parts that marry up? Eg the faceplate where it meets the main helm. The bits that actually touch together when assembled. Like.... How do I achieve the same angle so they definitely sit nice and neat?

Thanks in advance for any help.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for all the tips.

On another note if anyone could help. Am I supposed to model the whole helmet as one then separate the parts? If not how do I ensure they sit flush if I were to 3d print them?

Also. How do I go about the parts that marry up? Eg the faceplate where it meets the main helm. The bits that actually touch together when assembled. Like.... How do I achieve the same angle so they definitely sit nice and neat?

Thanks in advance for any help.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back