Roland Deshain's Revolvers from The Dark Tower Movie

I was excited to hear the making of this film but being a Kingfan and loving these books I feel I may be disappointed by the look of the previews.

You say true and I say thank ya.
The director did an AMA on reddit that made me feel a bit better. Not excited, just less...I dunno, "angry."
I told myself I would just have to digest this as a separate body of work. Nothing will ever do the books justice.

The guns are not actually 1858 Remington revolvers. The man who built the weapons for the film posted on reddit (I think) and stated that while they were based on the 1858 visually, they are in fact an original build made 20% larger than a 1858 remington, and they have swing out cylinders and a double action trigger system. The stuff under the barrel has no function.

Based on what we've seen in the trailers since I started this thread, I don't think they are real guns that fire blanks at all. The crazy reloading scenes (that don't even seem to require the cylinder to be open in some cases) glowing magic symbols on the frame, etc. is all CGI. I think all the gunplay with Roland's guns will be CGI, since he's supposed to be faster than the human eye can see anyway.

As long as this movie is good, I'm fine with that.

Also, the builder mentioned that the guns are built for right or left handed use. The right handed gun swings open on the left side of the gun. The Left handed gun swings out the right side of the gun. HOW I have to wonder. I don't see a crane arm of ANY kind on these guns.

DarkTower_cylinders.jpg

Last edited:
So who wants to get started on a thingverse 3D file of these!:D we now know the cylinders swing out to the side (as mentioned above) and are symmetrical (in the sense that they swing out to opposite sides). I would love for a way to modify a couple Pietta 1858 replicas to do this, but I could settle for a non-firing version as well. I know a lot of people on here aren't thrilled so far by the trailers, but I think we should give it a chance. We have some great actors working in this movie, and even though not the story we're all used to, it looks kinda... awesome. The gun play looks great to me, and I'm excitied to see what happens! And guys, we have 2 references in the trailer alone to King related stuff! The fricken Overlook Hotel and Pennywise! I'm excited to see the movie, as well as some awesome replicas of some gunslinger stuff!

You can buy already converted 1858 Remington New Army pistols from Uberti. Maybe those could then be modded to be at least a little screen accurate (though supposedly 20% smaller than the ones on screen). *shrugs*

You can buy already converted 1858 Remington New Army pistols from Uberti. Maybe those could then be modded to be at least a little screen accurate (though supposedly 20% smaller than the ones on screen). *shrugs*
But do the cylinders swing out??? I found someone on etsy who makes some replicas, 55 for individual, 95 for two. They swing out to the side and are engraved just like rolands. The hammer also works, and comes with 12 fake bullets

No. They do not swing out but they are live firing (.45 Colt for ammo) for those that want a real gun that is close to the movie prop.
I have a Pietta with a converted Cylinder. I'd love the ones I mentioned earlier on etsy so I could take them to cons and things, but would rather wait for someone else to buy them and review them so I can get a bette relook at what I'd be buying

If you watch the trailer here:

You can see him reloading by throwing full-moon clips in the air, then he reloads by running the gun next to the individual cartridges on his belt and them into the cylinder with his thumb, then he spins the cylinder and quickly drops the cartridges in.

Sigh.

Stephen King is one of my favorite writers, but, man, he sure knows nothing about guns... It's always been like that in all of his books. I humbly volunteer to be his "Arms Consultant." LOL

Screen Shot 2017-08-05 at 10.05.18 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-05 at 10.06.32 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-05 at 10.09.07 AM.png

This Uberti looks like a good base....

1858-improved-new-army-silv_154027.jpg

This Pietta is a firing revolver, and costs less than a Blade Runner Blaster. LOL.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/black-powder/black-powder-revolvers%7C/pc/104792580/c/104701680/sc/567338580/pietta-model-new-army-caliber-black-powder-revolver/731695.uts

Last edited by a moderator:
The supposed filed out part to load a bullet is actually part of the original unconverted cap and ball design and NOT large enough to pass a bullet through into the cylinder when converted.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/45/New_model_Army_IMG_3544.jpg

It is if you get a gated conversion kit. Like this one:

http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/hand-guns/cartridge-revolvers/1858-remington-conversion/1858-remington-conversion.html

1858-remington-conversion-800_1.jpg

kk1847u.jpg

Or this:

kk1858pg.jpg

But that does look different than the movie. Gotta pick your poison on this one. :)

I think I am going to build a shooter, but it won't have a swing-out cylinder... Now, what to do about the engraving?

- - - Updated - - -

These guys 3D print a "wood filament" grip, that sands and feels like wood. OK, now we need a group buy of the grips that match the movie prop exactly. :)

https://www.innovaum.com/product/blank-wood-1911-gun-grips/

Last edited:
Stephen King is one of my favorite writers, but, man, he sure knows nothing about guns..

He's the same with American automobiles...Christine is one of my favorite books by King, but he knows nothing about the 1957-58 Plymouth car line; I guess it's the story that's important, and not necessarily the details. :)

Rob

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back