Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

I seem to remember (please don't jump on me for my possibly poor memory), that the guys at ILM used Floquil Model Railroad colors for the 5-footer.

Yes, and Archive-X is matched to the Floquil colors. But I'm not too sure about their match to Reefer White, I used some back in the day and I remember it being much more white.

A lot can depend on the camera settings. If the shot includes a lot of white, most cameras tend to under-expose(hence your grey snow pictures). Then you have the type of lighting used in the workshop-sodium strip,flourescent,led.....That can really throw things.
That's why slr's have all those settings, to compensate and correct.
Most phones do not.

Yes, and Archive-X is matched to the Floquil colors. But I'm not too sure about their match to Reefer White, I used some back in the day and I remember it being much more white.

Here's a couple of the photos adjusted with auto colour in PhotoShop,...I usually find it gives a better representation with my own photos to a better white balance

22540134_10157241799408868_5091868727130282672_n.jpg22528382_10157249186753868_1675812069769245641_n.jpg

EDIT:....just checked with John Simmons & he says that the colour corrected/white balanced images are a good representation of what the paint is like

J

Last edited:

This is so sweet! Maybe you know, Jaitea, but is there a guide somewhere to masking the various panels? This photo nicely shows the different shading colors, but some panels are all one color while in other places it looks like a stencil has been used to add gray over multiple panels. It would be helpful to know where stencils were used and where not on the 5-footer.
panels.jpg

This is so sweet! Maybe you know, Jaitea, but is there a guide somewhere to masking the various panels? This photo nicely shows the different shading colors, but some panels are all one color while in other places it looks like a stencil has been used to add gray over multiple panels. It would be helpful to know where stencils were used and where not on the 5-footer.
View attachment 768088

Someone asked him about that on Fb Hunk a Junk....all masking tape

Screen Shot 2017-10-22 at 18.56.31.png

J

Right, but under the gun, as they were, there might not have been a lot of care in masking every panel.

Here's a couple of the photos adjusted with auto colour in PhotoShop,...I usually find it gives a better representation with my own photos to a better white balance...J

Thanks, that is a lot closer to what I would expect. Still seems a bit off to me though.

Someone asked him about that on Fb Hunk a Junk....all masking tape

Not how it was stenciled, but where. Maybe guide is the wrong word. Map? Is there a map to the areas where the panels have been stenciled slightly darker shades of gray?

Not how it was stenciled, but where. Maybe guide is the wrong word. Map? Is there a map to the areas where the panels have been stenciled slightly darker shades of gray?

It doesn't look that obvious as stencilled area on the real big bird

_MG_4322.jpgCrayola 5-ft Falcon (Original) Top View - Black ps.jpg
Stencil.jpg

J

Attachments

• Falcon Beauty Shot.jpg
    Falcon Beauty Shot.jpg
    435.5 KB · Views: 335
Last edited:

Out of curiosity, we've now seen AS-20, The DOA paints and now archive-x paints for the base coats.

Has anyone done a side by side comparison?

So far, I really liked the as-20 I used on my 1/144. It seemed quite white, which I liked for that scale.

Thoughts?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Out of curiosity, we've now seen AS-20, The DOA paints and now archive-x paints for the base coats.

Has anyone done a side by side comparison?

So far, I really liked the as-20 I used on my 1/144. It seemed quite white, which I liked for that scale.

Thoughts?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I asked John Simmons about the comparison between the AS-20 & the Archive X Reefer White, he says they are a very good match for a base coat,....I can't comment on the DOA paints, I don't know anyone who has used them

J

I asked John Simmons about the comparison between the AS-20 & the Archive X Reefer White, he says they are a very good match for a base coat,....I can't comment on the DOA paints, I don't know anyone who has used them

J

Interesting. Then in all honesty, I think I may stick with Tamiya for this. I trust my eye but not always my patience. If I'm patient, I think I can mix it to my liking

Any news from USA Gundam Store?
I email Adam a few days ago, Stiller no response.

Last edited:

I heard from Adam at USA Gundam store yesterday, He says he is expecting his allocation by the end of October, or first weeks of November. He is as anxious as we are to begin shipping kits!

I heard from Adam at USA Gundam store yesterday, He says he is expecting his allocation by the end of October, or first weeks of November. He is as anxious as we are to begin shipping kits!

Nice. I wonder if Steve from culttvmanshop will be getting his around the same time. That would make me very happy indeed.

I'm really impressed with with what I've seen on the Archive X paints so far. I've been following them on Facebook for a while and several people have been painting up falcons. I'm going to wait until he releases the acrylic line though. I've got too many Bandai models and I don't want to risk them cracking.

J

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back