Austin Powers International Man of Mystery Suit

67Beatle88

So for Halloween this year, I'm going big and being Austin Powers. I'm going to be making the blue suit from the cover of the movie. I already have the boots... I'm a beatles fan so I already have them.
IMG_3181.JPG
I also naturally have the hair and glasses....
Does anyone have any tips for this? What should I buy, what pattern to use for the jacket, how to make the shirt... stuff like that. Any help will he appreciated... I'm a little bit of a novice at prop making.

Alright, so I think I'm gonna modify this pattern a bit.
https://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v8988
I'm not lining it yet, just going to make it wearable. I'm a stickler for accuracy though so there is going to be a lot of googling and RPFing on how to do things absolutely perfect:lol
I found the blue velvet on etsy for $8, but I'm also going to check out a local fabric store where everything is $2.99 a yard...The only thing confusing me now is the shirt and cravat... how on earth do I make that shirt! I'm not really bad at sewing, I've made a shirt before, but the ruffles at the end and the piece the cravat hides is just confusing me. And the way the buttons work too...

If memory serves correctly, the lining of the jacket was lime green satin. what brand/style of boots are those?
Thanks for the tip! The boots are an EBay buy... they're called Beatle Boots. They were like $50 when I bought them, but the week after they dropped the price to like $20:angry They're okay quality.... The heel isn't perfect and the leather is so so, but they are made in the USA. I don't think they're as shiny as the picture makes them look. Other than that, they're pretty nice. I wear them out from time to time with no problems.

You can actually find those kinda shirts online for fairly cheap. Look for shirts with "vintage", "60's", "Handkerchief cuff", "ruffle shirt", and I'm sure you're likely to find something.

Number of alternatives here and there's even a pattern for 10 bucks if you're so bold. Think of it this way, if you're willing to put in the time/work/money to make the suit, you can recycle it the next year or for any Dr. Who event by going as the 3rd Doctor.

I don't know if I'm bold enough to make a ruffled shirt, but I have made a white button up, so maybe make one of those or alter one bought at a thrift shop.

Being the ambitious sewer I am, I'm going to make a pattern for the jacket. Maybe the pants, but definitely the jacket as long as it fits when I test it. Wish me luck! The cheap fabric store had no velvet so etsy it is...

So, I kind of cheaped out on the fabric. Halloween is coming up and I'm a poor high school student restoring an old VW bug. I got the cheapest velvet like fabric at joanns and bought a pattern, I don't have the time to make another suit pattern. Should have some actual updates for the suit coming up soon.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back