Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release) (Spoilers)

It's probably been discussed already, so forgive me, but as I watched the trailer for the 20th time, I had some different feelings.

I think Rey is crying over the dead body of Finn. The environment behind her looks similar to that of where Finn faces off against Kylo. And I think he gets killed by Kylo because he doesn't have any Jedi technique or force abilities. I'm just guessing this because in that scene where he confronts Kylo, he not only looks scared (which I can live with) but he doesn't displays a confident posture, as if he doesn't know what he's doing at all. I can kind of buy it if he were "new" to the force, he would looked unpolished, but I still have that feeling he has no Jedi abilities.

And in the trailer he says, "I was raised to do one thing, I've got nothing to fight for". That feels like ominous foreshadowing, like he NEEDS to fight for something, and that's for Rey and the resistance and I feel he dies protecting Rey. That's why she's so sad, they have this bond because of what they go through and he dies protecting her.

And I think it's too easy and obvious for them to kill Han because we've all known for the last 30+ years Ford wanted him dead. I feel like if we watch him die in the movie, it would be a "sheez", eyes rolling "we saw that coming" moment.

I also think when Han and Leia embrace it's because they find out the truth about their son (Kylo), and must come to terms with it.

And......I think Rey isn't related to any Skywalker (still can't get over her accent being there, maybe they sent her to boarding school!) and Kylo is somehow jealous of her.

I know, just more crack pot theories from another Star Wars nerd!

Now that I've watched it for the 24th time, I'm convinced it's Finn. I took a quick screen grab and I think Finn's head is down by Rey's right side (out of sight), as if she's holding his head, she's not looking directly at him. That's not a head in the lower right hand corner. It also looks like that is his right arm on top, seems there is a part of the raised ridge detail of the jacket sleeve. It looks like the cuff is from his right hand, it definitely looks like it could come from Finn's jacket. In looking at Han's jacket, it doesn't look like it has that detail. The question is, does Finn die, or just get seriously injured.

I know Poe has the same jacket at one point, but the environment in this photo is the meeting between Kylo and Finn.

FA.jpg

Finn is central to this trilogy I think and is in it for the long haul.

You might be right, but I'm not so sure, Finn might be the hero who dies for the cause that the original trilogy never had..........also kind of like losing Qui-Gon in TPM. I think Rey and her turning into a Jedi is what is more central to this trilogy. Can't wait until December to find out!

Last edited:
I'm 99.8% sure it's Finn, but even more sure he isn't dead. John Boyega was just recently doing screen tests to find good chemistry with potential cast members for Episode VIII, so he makes it at least to the next film. Nor do I think Kylo is hanging about waiting for Rey to get over it and come after him. I figure he incapacitated Finn and left for reasons that will be apparent in the actual scene, and Rey comes along after he's left and finds Finn. I also think that she'd be far more likely to be crying over Finn, with whom she's probably forged a friendship through all the mess they've been in together, than Han, who just showed up more recently and who she'd revere as a mythic figure because of the "stories she's heard".

I also had a fun thought. The "I've heard stories", "they're all true" exchange makes me think of the Legends announcement. That the EU isn't "gone" so much as "the stories people have told about Our Heroes in-universe", and not necessarily 100% fact-based, while still being inspired by actual events a friend of a friend of a cousin was there to see, honest. And the follow-up thought was the exchange between Bashir and Garak in the second season of Deep Space Nine:

"So how do I know which ones are true?"
"Why, my dear doctor... they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."

--Jonah

In regards to Finn beyond what Inquisitor Peregrinus mentioned above, their is commonality between the characters who have been sacrificed in the first of the two trilogy films. It's a mentor, someone who is guiding our other heroes. Finn doesn't meet that narrative requirement but Han does.

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed the cell with Han's death only has a 30% confidence rating

You hang your hat on the flimsiest of hooks. :) Star Wars Underworld, making Star Wars.net, and a few other sites are light years ahead of this one in regards to gathering credible evidence and having actual sources.

Nothing wrong with wishful thinking

Honestly, I hope that IF Han does meet his end it doesn't ruin the film for you. As you are here contributing to this thread, I assume spoilers in and of themselves don't abjectly effect your viewing experience. I look at Spoilers as an opportunity to frame my expectations. I get worried when I read comments about aspects of the story that people seem so set against that if they see it on screen they will get up and storm out of the theater!

My prediction.....

leia dies. Not Han.

In the earlier trailer, leia is handed Luke's esb lightsaber. I'm guessing she comes out fighting to protect Rey. She meets her demise, not enough training. Finn then picks up her lightsaber, that's why we see him ending up with it.

Honestly, I hope that IF Han does meet his end it doesn't ruin the film for you. As you are here contributing to this thread, I assume spoilers in and of themselves don't abjectly effect your viewing experience. I look at Spoilers as an opportunity to frame my expectations. I get worried when I read comments about aspects of the story that people seem so set against that if they see it on screen they will get up and storm out of the theater!
Nothing, I'm sure, can ruin this movie for me. I found the trailer to be somewhat underwhelming, but I'm as excited as ever to see this movie and the wait is killing me. Even if none of my wants/expectations are met, I will still enjoy it very much. Star Wars hasn't let me, personally, down yet, and I doubt it ever will. Even at it's lowest point, I will forever keep my faith in it. I'm in this for life.

Last edited:
Nothing, I'm sure, can ruin this movie for me. I found the trailer to be somewhat underwhelming, but I'm as excited as ever to see this movie and the wait is killing me. Even if none of my wants/expectations are met, I will still enjoy it very much. Star Wars hasn't let me, personally, down yet, and I doubt it ever will Even at it's lowest point, I will forever keep my faith in it. I'm in this for life.

I like the cut of your jib, sir. :)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back