Kylo Ren Helmet Sculpt In Progress

vistaVision

Sr Member
Have been working on this for awhile hoping additional images of the screen used helmet will become available. Unfortunately the only look at the shape and details of the top, sides and back of the helmet come from a couple of newly released toys and a Rubies helmet from Target. I feel it is time to finish this up, so I'll continue using the best reference available. Have a variety of adjustments to make to the face mask, but those can wait until the dome has been refined. Right now I'm just blocking in the dome itself, so more pictures to come later in the week as that progresses. By the weekend I should be finished with this rough sculpt, to the best of my limited abilities, and I'll make a waste mold and a few casts in resin. I can then clean up a casting to make a finished master, and from that, a hero mold. I am not a sculptor, I am much more comfortable with making models and working with hard materials that can be milled, drilled and sanded.

There have been several fantastic sculpts of this helmet already, and each have been an inspiration for me. The shape of this helmet and the geometry of the weird details seem to change almost daily. They don't, of course, but as I've been staring at the reference materials for weeks now, i find myself frequently spotting something "new" or different in how I have interpreted the shapes. That is somewhat frustrating! Like any project, one must find a moment to stop obsessing and move on, and I'm getting close to that moment!

There has been a lot of conjecture regarding the actual size of the Kylo Ren helmet. There's no doubt that the original is large. This one is slightly smaller, just slightly, maybe 10% smaller (just a guess) than the currently available Rubies/Target helmet. I did take a look at one of them at my local Target. It has been described as "huge." I wouldn't go that far, but I have a fat head and the Rubies/Target fit me with a lot of room to spare.

As previously mentioned, I'll have much more to share sometime this upcoming weekend. And I'll have some sunlight to use for better lighting, vastly improving the picture quality. Stay tuned...

kylo sculpt right side.jpgkylo sculpt left side.jpg

I've taken the Monster Clay sculpt as far as I can. Now in process of making a silicone "waste" mold and will cast the helmet in resin. Working with a hard cast will be much easier for me to continue to refine, smooth and add/adjust details. When that master casting is complete, I will then make a hero mold to make copies.

Kylo%20Rough%20Sculpt%20Front.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Kylo%20Rough%20Sculpt%20Profile%20Right.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Kylo%20Rough%20Sculpt%20Qtr%20Right.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Kylo%20Rough%20Sculpt%20Qtr%20Left.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Kylo%20Rough%20Sculpt%20Profile%20Left.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Fantastic work! Can't wait to see the finished product. Do you plan to offer copies?

If there's interest. There are a couple of runs going right now, copies of very nice traditional clay as well as digital sculpture. But maybe, we'll see how it looks when completed. I have the waste mold done, and will get a first casting out of it tonight later, or probably tomorrow. Then I need to clean that up. I'm looking forward to that process as I'm completely burned out on clay sculpting for the moment! Stay tuned, more progress pictures will be available within the next few days. And thanks for the compliment!

Looking forward to seeing this progress. I'll be starting my own sculpt soon...and am interested if you ultimately to a single cast or cast your final props in pieces for assembly.

any updates on this? I keep seeing other's helmets for sale, but this one has an overall feel that I really like.

The shape and detail on yours seems a lot better than some of the casts being released at the moment. I might be interested in a helmet when you're done mate

I definitely would be interested in a cast as well, awesome work! You say u are not a sculptor? Incredible!
If I could offer one thing I've noticed with the real KR helmet that most are not getting quite right and that I think makes a big difference, is the forehead silver brows area. It needs to curve downwards some in the middle. Making it appear as though the helmets making an angry expression, if u will!? If u see the real KR helm even from slightly below, it still appears with the angry brow ridges. Does that make sense? image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgThese pics don't show it very well, but check out any pics of it and you'll see what I mean. This will make a big difference in making it appear more menacing. They don't need to be curved a lot, but enough so that even if you are looking up at it from below, it still is visibly curved. Hope that helps and makes sense to u?
Anyways regardless, awesome job, and I'd love to acquire a cast from you?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back