Death Star Plans

I don't see battle damage.
I see this.
View attachment 661978
Also, you got the grooves in the discs but yours are maybe too thick / deep. it looks more like a slightly beveled groove etched in rather than an open gap.

Yeah I'm struggling with that top detail. I added another groove on the right side under the top circle half disc. The paint drawing LRZ did makes that pop out a bit now.

I adjusted the scribe lines for the render.. Edges on can be miss leading

Screen Shot 09-07-16 at 05.24 PM.JPG

option A for the top
Screen Shot 09-07-16 at 05.25 PM.JPG

option B for the top detail
Screen Shot 09-07-16 at 05.49 PM.JPG

Last edited:
I personally think the shape between the discs is just a raised platform instead of a pair of canyons.

Yup, now that you post that updated pic I think you're right about the top detail as far as the shape. But I don't think it's a cut out. it looks like an etched line with a divot circle.

I personally think the shape between the discs is just a raised platform instead of a pair of canyons.

It very well could be. Its so hard to see if its an extrusion or a cut. Based on some of the other pictures i decided to go with a canyon. But I'm all ears...

- - - Updated - - -

Yup, now that you post that updated pic I think you're right about the top detail as far as the shape. But I don't think it's a cut out. it looks like an etched line with a divot circle.

More like this? Option B?

Screen Shot 09-07-16 at 05.49 PM.JPG

yeah but instead of a V it's an upside down triangle.

Let me ask this. in your model, the darker parts inside the grooves. is that open space into the cavity of the box? or is it just recessed into the model?

- - - Updated - - -

I see what you mean.
Let me talk to Devin about it.

Since it's based on the hard drive (I ordered one from Ebay cheap so I will post pics when it arrives) looking at the pic I am wondering if this is the stunt prop as she is running under fire and the Hero will be from an actual hard drive??

It just does not look as crisp and detailed as the prop would be that is the center of the movie?????

Just a thought.

It does not say. A buddy ordered it for me as I don't have an Ebay account. I will post more pics and measurements as soon as it gets here.

I took a shot. May be all wrong but sure looks like it.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Since it's based on the hard drive (I ordered one from Ebay cheap so I will post pics when it arrives) looking at the pic I am wondering if this is the stunt prop as she is running under fire and the Hero will be from an actual hard drive??

It just does not look as crisp and detailed as the prop would be that is the center of the movie?????

Just a thought.
Good call, being made from rubber could explain the slight warp on the upper right surface.

The prop appears to be approx 5x7 inches. Much bigger than modern hard drives. Add to that the angled orientation and the second, smaller disc I'd say this was definitely inspired by hard drives so that it would be recognizable but probably not a found part. I'd love to be wrong though. I LOVE props built from found objects.

Man-- data storage in the SW universe is all over the place. Dooku takes the plans on an iPhone, they end up on a brick hard drive, and Leia manages to transfer it onto floppies.

Well, to be fair, I can store 100 GB on a flash drive smaller than my thumb, but a rugged, secure military storage chassis is about the size of a desktop dictionary, and only stores 10 GB. Different media for different purposes.

In Options A you have a recess between the two disks and in Option B you have two recesses. In my diagram I had a raised, rotated rectangle (I was thinking of a read/write head for an old reel-to-reel tape drive unit.) between the disk with the corners cut away by the disk centers This is based on the light coming from the left side and the edge between the disks toward the sun is highlighted and on the opposite side is in shadow. You see the same sunlight surface on the upper edge of the rectangle in the upper disk.

As far as the element at the center top of the unit, I prefer option A. On the Celebration Reel at 1.32 you can see the bottom, flat surface, of the triangular element. I did not originally catch the screw at the top but once I saw it in option A that make sense to me.

Ok so this is my first attempt at building out the details. I'm relying on you guys to point out things you think need to change.

I made these drawings based on what I see in the different angles and based on shadows, etc.

Please give me your thoughts.

http://cdn.bluerealmstudios.com/Downloads/RPF_PICS/Plans/plansRender1.jpg
http://cdn.bluerealmstudios.com/Downloads/RPF_PICS/Plans/plansRender2.jpg
http://cdn.bluerealmstudios.com/Downloads/RPF_PICS/Plans/compare.JPG

Wow this is so cool, Nice work!!

Hi bluerealm,

Your option B render is the closest to the screen grabs. I think you could try going with the indent triangle you have in option A but include the small Circle from option B for the center detail. Your handle, sides and bottom details look great, are you going to be adding in the two small wires on the right hand sides long indented area?

Yeah I'm struggling with that top detail. I added another groove on the right side under the top circle half disc. The paint drawing LRZ did makes that pop out a bit now.

I adjusted the scribe lines for the render.. Edges on can be miss leading

View attachment 661987

option A for the top
View attachment 661988

option B for the top detail
View attachment 661994

It does not say. A buddy ordered it for me as I don't have an Ebay account. I will post more pics and measurements as soon as it gets here.

I took a shot. May be all wrong but sure looks like it.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/GyEAAOSwZ1BXdcU8/s-l1600.jpg

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/G~AAAOSwZ1BXdcVG/s-l1600.jpg

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/7g8AAOSwhOVXdcVN/s-l1600.jpg

My Brain, wants to say yes this is it. But the prob builder in me says maybe it was just the inspiration of the artist who made it. I see people stating that it was made from a hard drive is that a confirmed fact? No reason it wouldn't be. I just wanted to see if someone worked on the film can confirm it was made of a hard drive.

A few things points of detail I can totally see match up. So maybe its a different model of drive? The bottom part where you connect the IDE cable in my mind would on the other side. You can see some type of connection tangs sticking out of the bottom right side of the front view. In the above views those connections would be on the top right. Not saying it wasn't hidden and they just built some connector looking things to protrude out the bottom.

I think I will take some inspiration from these drives and redraw it a bit.

This particular drive does have the connection interface on the right side of the half discs. So maybe there is a magic disc out there.

ibm-1.05gb-3.5-80pin-scsi-hard-drive-dpes-31080-4.40.jpg

There are some slight differences in orientation, scale, chamfer, etc. Some of which can be explained by photo perspective and lighting. But there are some very similar details. This picture shows the hard drive over a screen grab (the most forward one i could find its still at a tilt so its off a bit)

Screen%20Shot%2009-08-16%20at%2007.49%20AM.JPG

Last edited:
It seems like the IBM DPES-31080 that Bluerealm posted has the most similar lower disk as far as shape goes although the size is too small. I wouldn't be surprised If they made their own case and took the silver disk parts from real hard drives and stuck them on.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back