Game of Thrones

Yeah, he bore a great resemblance to Viserys, which makes sense.

I guess the silver hair is a recessive trait - as long as both parents are Targaryen, it'll happen. Throw some Stark genetics into the mix, and you get dark hair.

As much as people make a big deal about the inbreeding thing, the Targaryens did not always marry\mate within their family. Jon and Daenerys don't come from 100% Targaryen blood. Obviously Jon has Stark blood on his mother's side, but both Daenerys and Rhaegar have a Baratheon grandmother. Even though the Baratheon line is descended from a Targaryen *******, its been intermixed with many other lines.

One thing still bugs me -- where was LF during all those scenes between Sansa and Arya, which now we're supposed to assume were being staged for his benefit? Or did those things really happen, and Bran straightened the sisters out off-camera? Not quite clear on this, but the latter is certainly more plausible. Maybe it's the payoff for the "chaos is a ladder" setup?

OTOH Jon/Aegon Has more Stark blood in him so if he and Dany do have a child it won't be like this -
giphy-facebook_s.jpg

As for the events in Winterfell, the writers played you as well as Arya and Sansa played Littlefinger.

Last edited:
One thing still bugs me -- where was LF during all those scenes between Sansa and Arya, which now we're supposed to assume were being staged for his benefit? Or did those things really happen, and Bran straightened the sisters out off-camera? Not quite clear on this, but the latter is certainly more plausible. Maybe it's the payoff for the "chaos is a ladder" setup?

I dont think they were staged. Right before Sansa requests to have Arya brought to the great hall, you can tell she's processing something. Now we know it was probably Bran telling her everything she didn't know about Littlefinger. Arya didn't seem to be in on it, but once she saw what was happening, she gladly went along.

I dont think they were staged. Right before Sansa requests to have Arya brought to the great hall, you can tell she's processing something. Now we know it was probably Bran telling her everything she didn't know about Littlefinger. Arya didn't seem to be in on it, but once she saw what was happening, she gladly went along.
That seems to be the best explanation for what we saw. Fits all the facts.

Of course, that brings us back to Arya and Sansa getting played, which I was never thrilled with -- especially Arya.

I don't think Arya was played. I think she was legitimately trying the get Sansa to wake the **** up and accept that Littlefinger's continued presence in their lIves was a bad thing. That's why she gave Sansa the dagger. It was a symbolic gesture to show Sansa that Arya is not her enemy and was willing to surrender a weapon and be up front with her while Littlefinger was not.

. Maybe it's the payoff for the "chaos is a ladder" setup?

Yep, LF forgot that ladders go in two directions. (Plus, folks fall off ladders all the time when they're not careful.) As soon as Bran made that comment, LF should have run screaming back to the Eyrie.

I'd be really interested to find out when Bran pulled Sansa (and Arya?) aside to spill the beans on him - before Sansa found the faces or after...

Now THAT'S how you do a GOOD episode. (Mostly.)

On the whole, I thought it was a fantastic episode that finally delivered on many of the plot points that had been seeded earlier in the season and in the show overall.

I'm glad to see the LF situation resolved. I'm glad we know the full impact of R+L="A." I'm glad that the wall came down. And I'm glad that Jaime rode north in defiance of Cersei.

The show also delivered on my statement of "Want to make me nervous about characters I love? Put Tyrion and Cersei in a room together." Man, I really did not know if Tyrion would make it out alive. I'm glad he did, but that was an instant where I thought "There are no plot shields strong enough to protect him here." Same story with Jaime later.

Also, my GOD Lena Headey is good! I frickin' HATE Cersei and how bloody stupid she is (more on that in a minute). She thinks she's this master manipulator, but she's just an idiot. I'll be glad when she finally gets hers.

Still, the episode had its flaws. The resolution of the Stark rivalry/Littlefinger situation, while satisfying to watch, makes zero sense. Logically, I just don't follow the process of how this all came about. If Sansa knew all this stuff about Littlefinger before, why did he continue to draw breath? Are we to believe that she and Arya cooked up the whole thing to trap Littlefinger? Or did they just come together at the end and realize -- with a little help from Brandroid -- that they were each being played, at which point they finally put it together? I don't know, and much like the show's apparent disdain for distance and the passage of time, the show doesn't seem to care. For me, this only highlights the critical weakness of that plot to begin with. It was never going to end with one sister murdering the other. We knew this. So, why go to these lengths? Why set it up like this? The only thing I can think of is that the showrunners wanted to create a "twist," which I'm fast coming to the realization is one of the absolute worst tropes in storytelling because they so rarely work.

The stuff with Euron and the Ironborn...man, I just DO NOT CARE about any of it. Theon, Yara, Euron, screw 'em all. They matter as much as the Dornish did, which is to say, not at all. Theon's stupid commando mission to rescue Yara just strikes me as absurd. Likewise, the whole "Euron was faking it at the meeting!" thing. That just...doesn't make sense. I'm just ready for them all to come to a nasty end and be done with. The Ironborn just aren't interesting.

Anyway, as for Cersei's idiocy, I find it interesting that she's hired the Golden Company. I'm wondering if the show will do anything to address the origins and political goals of the Golden Company.

For those who don't read the books or remember the backstory, the Golden Company is an Essosi mercenary company made up primarily of Westerosi knights and men-at-arms (or their descendants) who were originally loyal to Daemon Blackfyre, one of Aegon IV's ("the Unworthy") ******* sons. Long story short, Aegon IV had a bunch of sons, including the following: Brynden "Bloodraven" Rivers (who later became the Three Eyed Raven), Aegor "Bittersteel" Rivers, Daemon Blackfyre, and Daeron II Targaeryan.

Daeron was Aegon IV's only legitimate son, but he was kind of a foppish guy who, while a decent administrator, was not a paragon of knightly virtue. Physically speaking, he'd have been better suited to be a Maester than a knight. Daemon Blackfyre, on the other hand, was the very model of a perfect knight. He was also a personally charismatic figure. Moreover, he was given one of the Targaeryan Valyrian Steel swords (called "Blackfyre") by Aegon, and was allowed to create his own noble house of the same name. He wasn't a Targaeryan, though -- just a Blackfyre. He led a rebellion against Daeron, ultimately losing (and dying) in the Battle of the Redgrass Field. Bloodraven had a crew of archers that shot him down. Bloodraven also dueled against his half-brother -- Bittersteel -- who was a Blackfyre loyalist. He lost his eye in the battle, but Bittersteel was forced to retreat.

That retreat ultimately led to the formation of the Golden Company, as the remnant's of Daemon's host fled to Essos after his defeat. There, the newly formed Golden Company plotted to eventually return to Westeros and put a Blackfyre on the Iron Throne. They tried a few more times, and failed each time, with the last of the Blackfyre heirs defeated by none other than Barristan Selmy. Now here's where it gets really interesting (in my opinion).

The company still exists in the books (and in the show) into the current timeline. In the books, there's also the character of "Aegon VI" who is also known as "Young Griff." Supposedly, he's the infant son of Aerys "The Mad King" who was not, in fact, killed in the sack of King's Landing, but somehow was smuggled out and managed to survive. If his claim is legitimate, then he's the rightful heir, rather than Dany (being both older and male). The books question that legitimacy, however. One theory is that Aegon is actually not a Targaeryan, but rather a Blackfyre, which would make sense because he's headed back to Westeros backed by the Golden Company.

So, what's this got to do with the show?

So far, nothing. There is no "Young Griff" character. The Golden Company has been chillin' in Essos all this time. As far as I know, the Blackfyres have literally never been mentioned by name. Maelys the Monstrous might've been mentioned once in passing, in a chat between Barristan and Jaime, but I don't recall the specifics. The Blackfyres, on the show, are simply not a factor. But now, the Golden Company may well be. So, that raises the question of whether they will play much of a role at all in the show, or if this is just more of Cersei's bluster. Likewise, if they do exist, will the show bother to flesh out their backstory and political goals (which are NOT aligned with Cersei's)? Or will they have the Company eventually betray her (as I expect them to) for other reasons? I guess time will tell.

I don't think Bran has an "off" filter for sensitive information now that he's the Three Eyed Raven. It seems like he's just as apt to talk about someone's darkest secret to anyone as the weather with little care these days. Obviously, he talked to Sansa as she knew things only he could have told her, but I don't see him making a big deal out of it like he wanted to ensure that justice was served as the son of Ned Stark. He's not that person anymore.

One tiny complaint about Rhaegar - they made him look way too much like Viserys. Hopefully its not confusing, but that was the first thing that popped in my head.

Yeah my GF and I were like "is that Vaserys?!".

Did they use the same actor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Different actor, but similar facial features (which make sense) and similar haristyle and clothes, which made no sense to me. I would've preferred to see him with longer hair and in black and red clothing.

Well, that went down pretty much exactly how I thought it would.
No surprises...

Things I want to see next season: Jaime kills Cersei.

Things I DON'T want to see next season: Cleganebowl. (I honestly don't know why people want this to happen so badly.)

Kinda disappointed in last night's episode. Felt like nothing but fan service.

So is Dany gonna be pregnant?

Also here's a theroy - Arya finds decapitated Ned Stark head, gets his face, and NED COMES BACK AND KILLS CERSEI! Or maybe not. :lol

Though i reckon it's QUITE decayed by now, nevertheless something like that would be interesting if for no other reason than to see the look on Cersei's face.

- - - Updated - - -

One tiny complaint about Rhaegar - they made him look way too much like Viserys. Hopefully its not confusing, but that was the first thing that popped in my head.

Me too!

I had said the same to my husband.."I wonder if they used the same actor as Viserys...it looks so much like him"

I think we will have to suppose...as I doubt it will be shown later.

But I reckon Bran had been giving both sisters bits of the puzzle and that is probably what stopped Sansa in particular from falling for LF's ploy. She admits herself that she is a "slow learner" and I imagine it was a combination of Arya telling her what she discovered and Bran revealing what he knew of LF's past actions that helped all three to hatch a plan to expose Baelish.

I always knew they would...but I have to admit I was SOOO relieved to see it on screen.

- - - Updated - - -

As for the events in Winterfell, the writers played you as well as Arya and Sansa played Littlefinger.

Not me... I always had faith that Arya (and to a lesser degree Bran) would help Sansa to see the truth and that together they would take care of LF.

- - - Updated - - -

Ummmm..... sure. why not.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back