Nerds! What are you reading?

11B30B4

So last year I posted some stuff about books I have read and now I am interested in what everyone else is reading. Graphic novels, printed novels, ebooks, audio books, it’s all fair game.

To get started, I just finished the entire Plague Wars series by David VanDyke.

The series consists of 10 novels. I liked the series and VanDyke has collaborated with one of my favorite authors B. V. Larson on several book, both authors are in the Military Science Fiction genre. As a retired Soldier, I like this genre and VanDyke is a veteran so he brings a level of credibility to his writing that many authors lack.

IF I were to rate this series I would do it lake this:
1- Waste of time
2- Read it if you have nothing else to read
3- Interesting
4- Fun and enjoyable
5- Epic

Story Originality =4
Character Development =3
Readability (flow, technical, adventure, etc.) =3
Wow Factor =3
Overall Rating =3

Currently I am reading Ready Player One by Ernest Cline.

So I would love to know what all of you are reading/ have read/ recommend…

I mostly read non-fiction first-hand accounts of WWII.
Recently finished "Way of a Fighter" by Claire Lee Chennault, and another book about Doolittle's Raiders.
Greg Boyington's "Baa Baa Black Sheep" is next on the list, but right now I'm taking a break from history and reading some Vonnegut.

I'm SLOGGING through DUNE.

I did it cuz of the "Dune Book Club" youtuber Comicbookgirl19 started... figured it would give me a reason to stick to a schedule...

So far it's been tough.. book hasn't won me over yet.

I actually thought it would be interesting to do an RPF version of that... choose a book... weekly readings... Discuss in thread.

I dunno... right now just gotta get through this.

I order this guy. Is supposed to Peter Pan told from Capt Hook's point of view growing up from a Lost Boy

32828538.jpg

I love non-fiction as well. Being retired military, most of what I have read is more recent and I tend to know many of the people in these books or I was there, such as Black Hawk Down, Bravo Two Zero, and some stuff from Robin Moore. However, the Sci-Fi gets me away from reality for a bit.

DUNE, is a hard nut to crack. If you watched the movie and mini series first (as I did) then read the book it seems to gel a little better. I have begun the entire Dune series several times and fail to make any real progress past God Emperor. The series is huge and I love mega series like Vorkosigan, and even the EU Star Wars books, but Dune is in a class of its own. I would not say its Hard Science Fiction, but is very convoluted. Good luck and keep on it. After reading just the title book DUNE, I would say that I came around like most other readers of Sci-Fi and considered it as one of the best science fiction books of all time Its in my top 20 but not in my top ten.

Lostboy is in my reading cue. What a great idea.

I read DUNE as a kid, before the movie. I was around 9 or 10, I think.
That book fascinated me like no book I've read before or since.
I felt like I was learning a new language, and a new culture.
All that flipping to the glossary to learn new words was so much fun.
It made the experience of reading the book really tangible and real, not etherial and transient like most reading is.
I've been considering picking it up again, since, like NeoRutty, I've been watching CBG19's "Dune" read-a-long.

I bought a copy of it for my niece for Christmas, because she's been voraciously tearing through all the popular teen sci-fi and I thought she'd really dig it.
She hasn't even started reading it yet :(.

Currently reading Bringing up the Bodies, book two in the Wolf Hall series. On a side note, Dune is one of my top 5 of all time, and I probably re-read it every couple of year, along with 1984.

In the first few pages of Dune there's a paragraph I had to read 7 times. Then had to read it to my wife saying "and you thought Game of Thrones had a confusing world..."

52170836157__A6D4AB6A-8620-442B-8E79-33E9EDCDB142.JPG

What?!?

Just finished The Peripheral - William Gibson. I think it's the most purely entertaining book he's written going back to maybe Virtual Light.

1930 Locomotive Cyclopedia. Reference on the design and construction of steam locomotives and the best practices.

Currently, I'm reading The Hero & the Crown by Robin McKinley, simply because it was part of a woman-writer-centric humble-bundle I picked up earlier this year, and I haven't read it since I was a kid.

As a member of Goodreads, I participate in their reading challenges each year (set a goal to read x number of books in a year). I set mine for 40 and am currently at 26. The titles are really kind of all over the place:

Marvel graphic novels:
Black Panther, Thor, Ms Marvel (vol 1-5), Kelly Sue DeConnick's Captain Marvel run (Vol 1-3).
The Expanse series (Books 1-5, plus 4 companion novellas)
Norse Mythology, by Neil Gaiman
Several Non-Star Wars Timothy Zahn novels, and a few other one-off's.

Overall, my favorites have been the Ladies Marvel, the Expanse, and Neil's Norse Mythology. :D

I used to read voraciously, at least 2-3 books a week, then I ran out of books to read. So I pretty much stopped for a year or so, but recently, I knew I had to sit in a doctor's waiting room so I took along Thrawn by Timothy Zahn and I'm about half way through it right now. I really don't have a lot of time to sit down with a book right now.

Well, right now, checked out from the library, I've got Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Attack on Titan: Before the Fall, Dimension W, Assassination Classroom, Blood Lad, Akame ga KILL!, The Seven Deadly Sins, and Yona of the Dawn. I know there's more that we get as soon as they come out, but I don't recall any off the top of my head.

For series I buy as they come out, that would be The Ancient Magus Bride, The Betrayal Knows My Name, Log Horizon (novels and the West Wind Brigade side-story manga), Karneval, and Kagerou Daze (the novels, not the manga). I'm also about to start collecting Tales of Zestiria.

As for non-manga books, I read and collect Brent Weeks' work (current series is Lightbringer Series) and Gail Carriger's work (current series is Custard Protocol, although you'll want to start with the Parasol Protectorate, as CP is a sequel).

I've been reading CRLs trying to get a kit put together for Fall con season.....:lol

@NeoRutty
I've read all the mainline Dune books. Great series. They do tend to benefit from a second reading once you know the in-universe lingo.

I've been reading CRLs trying to get a kit put together for Fall con season.....:lol

@NeoRutty
I've read all the mainline Dune books. Great series. They do tend to benefit from a second reading once you know the in-universe lingo.

I'm starting to get the hang of it.

I used to be an avid reader... seems a common story - I used to read through piles of books... then the internet... and work... and netflix... and work... and my phone and sudoku (so no bathroom time)

Dune is my getting back into this whole thing.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back