ROGUE ONE Jyn Erso - open build thread!

Celebration Europe art was just released. Looks like Jyn's going to have a hat and goggles:

2016_Celebration_KEY_ART-1024x1024.jpg

I've started my Jyn cosplay for a local con in September and I'm on the boots at the moment. I managed to find something similar to the buckles in the pic below but unfortunately they're about $35 a pop (or more, depending on the country). Anyone know of anything that looks similar?

This is what I've found that's similar. It's a Ducati Tank Latch.

images

This thread has been really helpful so far! Happy cosplaying!

I have continued some design work on Jyn’s “Flak” vest. This post concerns the pockets which are found on both the left and right side. The design is for both and is composed of a pocket face and a gusset which attaches the pocket face to the front of the vest. I have made some assumptions in my design, but I believe it accurately reflects the photos which we have as of the end of May. I welcome comments, corrections, or criticisms.

View attachment Jyn Erso Vest.Pocket Face.pdf
View attachment Jyn Erso Vest.Pocket Gusset.pdf

Wow! This is far closer than any ski boot or motorcycle boot latch I've seen so far. This opens a whole other set of small pieces to look at!

Continuing with my take on Jyn's vest, here is a pattern for the Storm Flap. Again I have made some assumptions. I welcome any corrections or comments.
View attachment Jyn Erso Vest Storm Flap.pdf

EDIT: It was later determined the webbing on the right front is a wider 40 mm instead of 25 mm I used in the original vest pattern. This means the left side and the storm flap must also be 15 mm wider. Also I did not make a note of it originally but I believe the flap is also padded as it appears thicker when seen on edge. I used the same cotton quilting batting for both the body of the vest and the flap. However I used three thicknesses for the vest and only two for the flap.

I have also added a pattern I used for the right side much later in this thread.

Last edited:
Going to get cracking on that belt and holster setup immediately. Here comes a full day of clicking and pausing an HD copy of the video.

-Arcko

Let us know what you come up with! I've been trying to work it out but there are still a few question marks...

Any more ideas on the belt? The overlap at Jyn's left hip is shown in the "leaked" book cover. The picture may be one of the things which Disney thinks may be inaccurate but it appears to just be the front of the leather overlapping the other end of the leather. Even before seeing this illustration I was thinking about something like a fidlock magnetic fastener. I am interested in other ideas.

Last edited:
Today I was working on test samples for Jyn’s pants. On the casing above the pin tucks there are two “gray” rectangles. These seem to be similar to all of the “stripes” which run down the arms of the jackets. There is not much detail in the pants photos, but from the jackets, these rectangles do not appear to be embroidery like the old style Han Solo pants. They seem to have depth so they are not “painted” on, and they appear to be “fuzzy”. Also there does not appear to be any surrounding stitches so I do not believe they are an applique. (On the jacket sleeves, the stripes are on a strip of fabric and there are stitches where the strip is sewn to the rest of the sleeve, but there does not seem to be stitches surrounding the stripes.

Here is a test sample with three different non-woven materials. My sample has black rectangles on gray fabric instead of the reverse but these were materials I had at hand. My questions to the community, does anything look especially “right” or “wrong”? What do you plan to use for these stripes?
Pant Stripe Test.JPG

Today I was working on test samples for Jyn’s pants. On the casing above the pin tucks there are two “gray” rectangles. These seem to be similar to all of the “stripes” which run down the arms of the jackets. There is not much detail in the pants photos, but from the jackets, these rectangles do not appear to be embroidery like the old style Han Solo pants. They seem to have depth so they are not “painted” on, and they appear to be “fuzzy”. Also there does not appear to be any surrounding stitches so I do not believe they are an applique. (On the jacket sleeves, the stripes are on a strip of fabric and there are stitches where the strip is sewn to the rest of the sleeve, but there does not seem to be stitches surrounding the stripes.

Here is a test sample with three different non-woven materials. My sample has black rectangles on gray fabric instead of the reverse but these were materials I had at hand. My questions to the community, does anything look especially “right” or “wrong”? What do you plan to use for these stripes?
View attachment 631966

I mentioned it a few posts back, this is my thought. I'm not attempting anything until after Celebration Europe where the costumes will be on display. We should have more pictures then.

An observation on this guy... the "bloodstripes" on the arm don't appear to be satin stitches like Han's pants were. This picture is so high rez you can see stitches and the twill weave of some of the fabrics, and I see no stitch detail in the stripes, so it's either some kind of very tight fill stitch, or I'm thinking possibly suede pieces that are adhered on.

While working on the measured drawing of Jyn's tonfa I realized I had some material which could be used to make a reasonable version of the external knurling without much work. Depending upon an individual's view of accuracy versus effort versus cost trade-off for a replica, this might be an option from some builders on this thread.

Several years ago Sears offered a rubber mat to be used to line their metal tool cabinets. (The details are below.) These mats are black rubber about 1-2 mm thick and have the same repeating pyramid pattern which is used on the surface of the tonfa. The repeat pattern on the mat is 5.5 mm whereas from the photographic evidence I calculate a 7.85 mm repeat. A 50 mm (or 2”) cylinder wrapped in this rubber and recolored would create a close but not perfect replica of the tonfa.

The bad news is that Sears no longer offers this product (#65660) in their stores. It has been replaced with a more expensive and inferior product which has no value to making the tonfa. Some good news is there are a few ebay sellers who still offer this new-old-stock (NOS). Since this an old product there is probably a limited quantity. There may be other non-ebay sources but once I found these I stopped my research. There may also be non-Sears providers for this product.

As of June 6, 2016 the following ebay listings exist. (I cannot recommend these vendors only indicate their offerings.)

Craftsman Tool Cabinet Top Mat Diamond Pattern Heavy Duty 18" x 26" New
( 231964682504 ) $9.99 + $9.75 shipping, 1 available

Craftsman Extra-Thick Diamond Pattern Tool Chest Top Mat 26.25" x 17.75" #65660
( 182157122028 ) $21.99 + Free shipping, 1 available

CRAFTSMAN EXTRA THICK DIAMOND PATTERN ROLL AWAY TOP MAT 65660
( 152063279429 ) $19.99 + Free shipping, 1 available

One mat would provide the material for 4 (four) tonfa “skins”.

I am also including my calculated illustration of the tonfa with the measurements.

Edit: I did another on-line search and came up with an additional, cheaper source.

http://www.searsoutlet.com/Diamond-Top-Mat/d/product_details.jsp?pid=13058&mode=seeAll

View attachment Erso Tonfa.pdf

Last edited:
In an earlier post I suggested the hook on Jyn's vest could be fabricated from 1/8”or 3 mm rod. Here is the result of my first test sample. The long, back section bowed out a little more than I intended so it ended up a little wider and a little shorter. The front portion which was bent upwards went a little off-center (obviously because I did not put it in the vise perfectly vertical, which can be easily remedied) but the length was correct.

Here is a photo of the sample (without the cross-bar attached) for comparison against my measured design, a piece of actual 1” webbing and a ROK hook.

Sample Hook.JPG

Sample Hook.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't worked with 3D printing before, so I have no idea how successful would it be to print a sheath to cover an existing (cheap) expanding baton? Since many of them open with a "flick of the wrist," flicking the handle open should have the same effect?

I've looked into this and it appears that Australia Federal Law prohibits carrying extendable or side handled batons, so I would have trouble buying the baton itself and in breach of federal law by carrying the sheathed product.

Side-handled baton:

or any other article consisting of a baton, staff or rod that is made of any hard substance and has fitted to one side a handle, whether or not that handle is permanently fixed.

*Extendable or Telescopic Baton:

or any article consisting of a baton, staff or rod that is made of any hard substance and has fitted to one side a handle, whether or not that handle is permanently fixed.

I've looked into this and it appears that Australia Federal Law prohibits carrying extendable or side handled batons, so I would have trouble buying the baton itself and in breach of federal law by carrying the sheathed product.

This is a rebellion, isn't it? I rebel.

But, more seriously, I don't think I realized how much international weapons restrictions could affect movie prop makers and cosplayers until I started working on this.

I thought, but surely this will be fine in Texas. Then I looked into it, and apparently it is a felony to carry any club (nightstick, blackjack, mace, tomahawk, etc) when not on your own property. So it looks like I'll will be carrying a soft little flashlight with a side handle?

View attachment 631966

After seeing your samples (and finding absolutely nothing in my jacquard/chenille woven ribbon/fabric search) I have a new theory: screen printed with puff paint. In the photo samples I've found online, straight corners do end up with those slightly rounded corners. The texture looks strikingly similar especially since there are versions that can be added to regular screen printing inks in lower percentages to control the amount of puff. (So maybe not the full amount?) Also, so much less time consuming than cutting individual pieces.

After seeing your samples (and finding absolutely nothing in my jacquard/chenille woven ribbon/fabric search) I have a new theory: screen printed with puff paint. In the photo samples I've found online, straight corners do end up with those slightly rounded corners. The texture looks strikingly similar especially since there are versions that can be added to regular screen printing inks in lower percentages to control the amount of puff. (So maybe not the full amount?) Also, so much less time consuming than cutting individual pieces.

snap - I came to the same conclusion a while back.

Thread reainmation....

For mine these are done by screen printing puff ink and setting it with a heat gun.

Threadreainmation....
For mine these are done by screen printing puff ink and setting it with aheat gun.

It sounds like you have been successful with this technique. Can you provide a little more detail or point me to a tutorial? Tulip has a brand of paint called "puffy" but I do not believe that is what you and CarpElgin are referencing as it seems to be too expansive almost like foam. I tried the Tulip Matte brand which is a dimensional paint with a stencil and squeegee instead of screen printing. I like the paint but my results are so-so. I do not think I have not obtained the proper depth of coverage. For the first stencil I used cardstock. It provided a high raised block but did not provide the rounded top edges I was looking for. I then tried a thin plastic stencil. That seemed to perform better. In both cases I let the paint air-dry. Will the heat gun change the look/structure of the stripes or only reduce the drying time? Thanks for any insight.

I've ID'd Jyn's boots! (Though I do see someone posted it earlier as a potential, I can now confirm)

They are Veronica Combat Boots by Frye. The ones I got are Dark Brown, there is also a Dk Brown Stonewash option which may look good. I'm going to have to age mine which is going to suck. But if you troll eBay you can actually get a good price on brand new ones.

boots001.jpg

I've ID'd Jyn's boots! (Though I do see someone posted it earlier as a potential, I can now confirm)

They are Veronica Combat Boots by Frye. The ones I got are Dark Brown, there is also a Dk Brown Stonewash option which may look good. I'm going to have to age mine which is going to suck. But if you troll eBay you can actually get a good price on brand new ones.

View attachment 634799

I was wondering about that. But then I decided I would feel terrible modding a nice pair of Frye boots, even if I found some for less than $200, so I'm using cheap army surplus combat boots. (Pre-weathered, too!) I also got buckles for the pants (the local army surplus sells them loose, but they're on all kinds of items) and while I couldn't find a sleeping bag sling as suggested earlier in the thread, I did find these suspenders which might work for the hook. (ignore the ceiling fan innards!)
IMG_1631_zpsf4y4rsbu.jpg

I think the scarf is shaped like this, a rectangle with two rounded corners, and is probably around 9 feet long. On one side, the rounded edge has a much deeper hem than the other sides- if the other sides are a 1/2" hem, the deep edge would be 2". I'm not sure what kind of fabric it is, but my guess is probably a heavier sueded and weathered silk?
IMG_1632_zpssd3hhrei.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back