I did a tutorial on how i do molds and casts

zorg

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
hopefully this link works??

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/zorg-industries/slideshow/MOLDING DROID HEAD

i know its a star wars head (wrong sub forum) but its not the subject but the process that is important.
i took these pictures last year and wrote comments to show family and friends what i do as its a bit confusing to those not familiar with making props. Hopefully it can also help any folks on here that want to make some similar things. I have made many molds like this and my casts speak for themselves. No reason yours cannot come out nice and clean also. Good luck!

its takes it from master sculpt all the way through to getting a cast out of a mold. fingers crossed the link works :p

here is a vid of that first cast coming outta the molds
http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v689/zorg-industries/vid/MVI_2776_zps90dda8eb.mp4

-z

Last edited:
Good work Zorg.

I am still leaning about making a mold with an external jacket for support like this. So I have a few questions: Does there need to be registration points for the gel coat/fibreglass shell to lock onto the silicon?

Is the non uniform surface enough?

I get that whilst this is being set up, the master is still inside, so it holds its shape. But after the master is removed and the mold is fitted back into the support jacket, what aligns the silicone to the fibrerglass support jacket?

the gel coat halves go together without registration points, the line down the center is not perfectly straight, it finds its own reg.

i never use those silicone plugs folk seem to plaster all over their silicone molds, not needed in my opinion, some are total overkill.

the silicone fits fine back into the jacket, you can tell when it is seated properly. the wall thickness you see helps it keep its shape also.

been doing it this way for years with no problems, in fact i think those silicone plugs could make your casts worse. just say one of them is not seated properly into its female hole, it will cause a dent into your cast.

added a vid to the first post also.

and yes i have been working out.........

Last edited:
Great slideshow and video. My molds are C+, so I enjoy any opportunity to see them being made.

I put little plugs on my brush on molds. Maybe I will stop doing that.

Great slideshow and video. My molds are C+, so I enjoy any opportunity to see them being made.

I put little plugs on my brush on molds. Maybe I will stop doing that.

Thanks, i would give it a go without the plugs, you will be surprised how easy it is to get it seated properly.

Use the silicone to put a couple of more layers instead, it will last longer. I expect to get 5 -10 years outta that mold no problem.

Hiya! Do you think you could list the products you used? In terms of when you cast it with the resin, what exactly is the gel coat? I would love to make molds of and cast copies of helmets I have but I wish to get all the information down before jumping into it, thanks!

Hiya! Do you think you could list the products you used? In terms of when you cast it with the resin, what exactly is the gel coat? I would love to make molds of and cast copies of helmets I have but I wish to get all the information down before jumping into it, thanks!

Thank you for showing your process, its awesome!

And I also wanted to say foosbabaganoosh, thats such a rad name, its from MXC right? That show used to bring me to tears.

And I also wanted to say foosbabaganoosh, thats such a rad name, its from MXC right? That show used to bring me to tears.
Wow major props for getting the reference! I've been using this username on the internet for over a decade and you're the only one I can remember to actually get it! :lol

Wow Zorg, that was an awesome tutorial!

That is so way beyond my capabilities, but it's fascinating to see an experienced craftsman go through the steps. Thank you for posting it!

Wow major props for getting the reference! I've been using this username on the internet for over a decade and you're the only one I can remember to actually get it! :lol

Haha thats rad! Im laughing just thinking about the show! Sinkers and floaters. "oh he went into the fluid" :lol

zorg, not sure the issue, but can't seem to watch the videos. Is there a YouTube link by chance?

Last edited by a moderator:
No you tube links, maybe I used up my photobucket viewing allowance. Maybe try later? Sorry man.

If it persists I'll see what I can do with you tube.

Edit###### Just tried the video and it works for me, give it a couple of tries.

Oh and snikt and foosbabaganoosh get a room or something.

No you tube links, maybe I used up my photobucket viewing allowance. Maybe try later? Sorry man.

If it persists I'll see what I can do with you tube.

Edit###### Just tried the video and it works for me, give it a couple of tries.

I just let it buffer to a few minutes and all good. Impressive work zorg.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back