3D Printed Props = Bemused?

I started my first 3D print PLA finishing project...It was a disaster. I spent hours sanding one little piece only to have print lines still showing. Ugh, they are such an eye sore. I cringe when I see painted 3D prints with lines still present. Long story short I’m -$120 as it started to melt with my powdered sander haha. I did learn that I don’t have the patience for complex 3D prints.

I started my first 3D print PLA finishing project...It was a disaster. I spent hours sanding one little piece only to have print lines still showing. Ugh, they are such an eye sore. I cringe when I see painted 3D prints with lines still present. Long story short I’m -$120 as it started to melt with my powdered sander haha. I did learn that I don’t have the patience for complex 3D prints.

Use light coats of XTC 3d from Smooth On, with a small foam brush. That way, you don't have to sand down into the print, you're sorta smoothing over them. Stuff sands easier than bondo.

Folks will tell you the stuff washes out details. Not true. You just need to break out the needle files. I've done it on a few of my projects with great success.

Fully agree with the OP and I LOVE 3d printing. What has 3d printing allowed me to do? Work with individuals, have custom designs and allows me to have a base to work off of to finish up, cast and modify. But folks in the community, charging $300-400+ for a unfinished 3d printed item that took 10 hours to print? BS, unless it is made of some kind of rare material, though most of it is just PLA. I recently did this item as a commission, fellow 501st member locally wanted a cheap DLT19 to troop with and I offered him this, fully finished with a mix of PLA, PETG, and resin coat for $140. There are the same folks who are charging $150-300 just for raw PLA prints of the same blaster. Point out where the print lines are on there, its not hard to properly finish up a print, just treat it like a resin kit. There's a proper way to finish things but with the advent of cheaper large format printers, most folks just churn out a bucket made out of PLA and relist it for a crazy cost.
Mhd4xyjl.jpg

ASsvfW7l.jpg

I'm tired of filing paypal claims, I've filed 2 against 2 members here in the last 3 months. 3d printing has allowed me to mostly stop relying on others and the item to cost ratio has drastically dropped as well as the potential for loss. I'd advise EVERY member to buy one nowadays as its like a microwave, you might not use it all the time, but when you do, it pays itself off on simplicity and speed. Thinking of buying that fan made helmet but don't want to pay $300+, wait 8 months, still have nothing to show for it but a waste of time and a credit card claim? No? Then make it yourself by sculpting it or 3d printing it. Its just another tool. It just needs to be properly utilized (ie finishing etc)

Use light coats of XTC 3d from Smooth On, with a small foam brush. That way, you don't have to sand down into the print, you're sorta smoothing over them. Stuff sands easier than bondo.

Folks will tell you the stuff washes out details. Not true. You just need to break out the needle files. I've done it on a few of my projects with great success.

Thank you! I will keep that in mind. I'm tempted to buy another kit but I'm not sure if I should risk it.

It’s the way of the future. The problem is you see most people selling the same free inaccurate 3D printed files everywhere. Files that are not even close to what was seen on screen. It’s an easy money grab. And I think it’s these people that give 3D printing a bad name.

But its also the buyer as well. You need to know what you are getting into. Most people want the best but it’s also hard to pass up a deal. You need to do your research first. Not only simply in 3D printing but also in the prop or what ever it is you are buying. But even then it can get complicated..

Simple starter question for 3D printing. Do you know the difference between FDM vs SLA? This is only the beginning as well. So much more to learn.

Last edited:

I never understood why people would sand print lines down. The outer edge IS the 3D model, whereas the print lines are depressions into the piece due to how it is created. So you are basically removing actual shape of the piece if you try to sand the lines down.

The print lines have to be filled, so it is level with the outer surface. I use filler putty primer. Sure it obscures details... but then you gotta dig those back out through sanding and filing. :)

Though, I think I gotta try this stuff though. Thanks.

I never understood why people would sand print lines down. The outer edge IS the 3D model, whereas the print lines are depressions into the piece due to how it is created. So you are basically removing actual shape of the piece if you try to sand the lines down.

The print lines have to be filled, so it is level with the outer surface.

Yep, use a filler. Use bondo glazing putty, high build filler primer, xtc, or other 3d print epoxies. Fill and sand smooth.

Also, a quick note on XTC.

It is not body filler, so gaps or holes still need a proper filler. While XTC has been a godsend for my builds, bondo (or your preferred filler) still has a place at your workbench.

I used both to master this helmet. You can see a spot of XTC above the visor hole. Stuff is fantastic for spot check corrections as well.

1e4syMj.jpg
[/IMG]

Yes, definitely ignore that, similar to those tutorials stating you should soften ABS prints with acetone vapor. You are damaging the models correct outer surface doing these kinds of things and leaving them smaller than they should be.

This is something that has also bugged me! It's a very peculiar trait with human that they see what they want to see, and that is often related to price.

I see it every single day, whether it photography, make-up, props, cosplay, special effect, some body will post their work on the internet and there will always be someone who thinks it's amazing, no matter how bad it actually is. I'm all for supporting your friends and there creative efforts, but having observed this for years now it's clear that some peoples idea of 'good' work is a long way from my own.

I'm working on a 3D printed prop right now and have invested heavily in SLA prints that are produced by a state of the art commercial machine and have almost no sign of build lines which allow me to go straight to molding. The casting will have very little clean up before they can be painted. This obviously has an knock on effect to the cost of the commission and the kits I intend to sell. Only yesterday I went online to see what competition I might be facing and there were dozens of FDM prints / castings for sales at a fraction of what I intend to charge.

It was very disheartening, but my thought is that the people who can appreciate the effort, the work and the level of detail in my work will also appreciate the price I charge? (I hope)

If you're looking for a bargain basement price tag you have to accept a significant drop in quality.

There will always be somebody who will do it cheaper :/

Has anyone attempted the Acetone fume method of smoothing? I know this only works for certain materials such as ABS, but I believe there are equivalents for other materials. Some of the pics I've seen have had a rather soft look?

I purchased a 3D printer a couple of months ago, with the goal in mind to help speed along a number of more complex and detailed projects I intended to make when I got into prop and costume making earlier this year.

Years ago, I used to do a lot of custom toys and such. Lots of hand sculpting. Lots of trial and error. I purchased the printer so I would be able to design and sculpt in a more forgiving environment, and then be able to bring my work to hard copy after I was satisfied. I never intended it to be a "move", just an aide for more complex pieces.

For example: My step son and I both really enjoy Destiny, and Destiny 2 to be more specific. We have both gone to great lengths to obtain a side arm called "The Rat King". For those that dont know, this is a very large calibre handgun, with sculpted rats running the length of the upper slide assembly. Could I accurately sculpt this by hand? Oh for sure. Was it much easier for me to download a version from Thingiverse and 3D print it in a couple pieces WITH a working trigger and mag release? Well yeah, it was. Like "Have it done by Christmas" easier.

Now, having become familiar (sorry for rambling before getting to the point) with the ins and outs of printed parts I will admit I wouldn't dream of selling something I hadn't at least brought through post printing procesing, nor would I share pictures of something that wasn't final. I don't do that with handmade stuff either. I like to be judged on my result, not my process.

I believe some people lack in this, both as sellers and as buyers, but there will always be a fluctuation in quality between builders no matter what the medium.

Sorry folks, I know that's long winded and may not make sense but I really didn't care for 3D printers and argued a lot with myself before getting one, but have been happy since I did. It just takes time to tune your machine properly and know what it can and cannot do. Someone selling garbage from an improperly tuned machine is no different than someone who makes crap molds and uses crap resin, producing cast parts with tons of flash, mold lines, and air pockets. Some care about quality some don't.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

This is something that has also bugged me! It's a very peculiar trait with human that they see what they want to see, and that is often related to price.

I see it every single day, whether it photography, make-up, props, cosplay, special effect, some body will post their work on the internet and there will always be someone who thinks it's amazing, no matter how bad it actually is. I'm all for supporting your friends and there creative efforts, but having observed this for years now it's clear that some peoples idea of 'good' work is a long way from my own.

I'm working on a 3D printed prop right now and have invested heavily in SLA prints that are produced by a state of the art commercial machine and have almost no sign of build lines which allow me to go straight to molding. The casting will have very little clean up before they can be painted. This obviously has an knock on effect to the cost of the commission and the kits I intend to sell. Only yesterday I went online to see what competition I might be facing and there were dozens of FDM prints / castings for sales at a fraction of what I intend to charge.

It was very disheartening, but my thought is that the people who can appreciate the effort, the work and the level of detail in my work will also appreciate the price I charge? (I hope)

If you're looking for a bargain basement price tag you have to accept a significant drop in quality.

There will always be somebody who will do it cheaper :/
I think you'll be just fine Sorenzo. Right now it seems the market is flooded with quick prints. I think buyers will be delighted to spend more on a product they can just paint and call it a day.

Has anyone attempted the Acetone fume method of smoothing? I know this only works for certain materials such as ABS, but I believe there are equivalents for other materials. Some of the pics I've seen have had a rather soft look?

Works fantastic on ABS. Depending on the piece, it can cause the details to soften a bit. I haven't really found anything that works as well on PLA.

I think you'll be just fine Sorenzo. Right now it seems the market is flooded with quick prints. I think buyers will be delighted to spend more on a product they can just paint and call it a day.

Yeah, that's my thoughts too, we'll just have to wait and see.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back