Luke ROTJ control box evolution

thd9791

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi everyone, I have a topic I'd like to discuss.

Does anyone know, or can anyone confirm any details of the control box on Luke's machined lightsaber? I'm especially curious on it's state in Yuma and then for the close-up shot, neither of which match the details today. Did the black buttons come from a piece of audio equipment? or are they the same piece of metal that used to be the fake lever, chopped and with a groove added? I also have a feeling the brass sidebars were painted copper later on.

Yuma
Yumacut.jpgtumblr_lhar5la5Cf1qedqfdo1_400.jpgFakeControlBox.png
lever appears to be same height as sidebars, no step down.

Close-up (Thanks to Chaim for this shot, confirming the black buttons this early on)
http://s833.photobucket.com/user/Sym-Cha/media/LukeROTJSA01.jpg.html

The box doesn't appear to be off center! is it the same one as today? was right angle stock this small readily available in copper or brass?
Vader-saber.jpgrotjboxBluRay.jpg

Today
rotj_controlbox.jpgLFA_LukeHero_controlbox.jpgLFA_LukeHeroM.jpg

What's that crud above the buttons? Brass underneath the copper paint? The card seems to match, which means most likely this is the original card, but the close-ups all appear to be brass...

Thanks for chatting even though this is such an old topic!

I have no love for the "Hero" but that second pic on the bottom, to me, looks like the "activation button" is actually two pieces rather than one.

I have no love for the "Hero" but that second pic on the bottom, to me, looks like the "activation button" is actually two pieces rather than one.

yup i see that too, dont know if i would have seen that with out you saying it though!

- - - Updated - - -

is the yuma saber still around? or has that gone missing into history as well?

I read somewhere that after the close up scene (The only one where the "hero" appears in the film as the yuma stunt was different) was shot first and then the box was later modified and built up to make it slide open for the cut lightsaber construction scene. Was this ever proven? We all know the V2 was the real Hero anyways! :p

...is the yuma saber still around? or has that gone missing into history as well?

I remember reading that there were a few Yuma's used for different things. I read that Mark Hamill has one along with his other props/costume bits he's kept from each film.

I remember reading that there were a few Yuma's used for different things. I read that Mark Hamill has one along with his other props/costume bits he's kept from each film.

aaah! i thought hamill had the ISYCANL saber! i also thought the ISYCANL saber, and the saber Tom just posted are 2 different sabers... the one tom posted being the cave scene saber? im probably wrong because i am not much a fan of the ISYCANL saber.

i wonder just how many Yuma sabers were made... a few weeks ago Tom, brought up the yuma saber and i noticed the "lever" or aluminum block on the side of the control box. i wonder if what we are seeing in unpainted black buttons?

I recall one of the first good looks at in was an interview with him around the time ROTJ came out. It's a pic of Hamill with his son on his lap, and his son is holding a saber. Since I have't seen the image since I was 10, I couldn't say which one it was, but it felt like they were at home, so maybe it was a Yuma he kept. Who knows!

aaah! i thought hamill had the ISYCANL saber! i also thought the ISYCANL saber, and the saber Tom just posted are 2 different sabers... the one tom posted being the cave scene saber? im probably wrong because i am not much a fan of the ISYCANL saber.

i wonder just how many Yuma sabers were made... a few weeks ago Tom, brought up the yuma saber and i noticed the "lever" or aluminum block on the side of the control box. i wonder if what we are seeing in unpainted black buttons?

And see, I thought the cave saber was the ISYHCANL hilt that was further modified, was that proven false?

I recall one of the first good looks at in was an interview with him around the time ROTJ came out. It's a pic of Hamill with his son on his lap, and his son is holding a saber. Since I have't seen the image since I was 10, I couldn't say which one it was, but it felt like they were at home, so maybe it was a Yuma he kept. Who knows!

thats some good information there seth! so the hunt for this video begins!

Good eye!

I also see unsanded aluminum beneath it, and a hollow recess behind it.

What if they sawed off the fake lever and put these boxes over the wound?

- - - Updated - - -

And see, I thought the cave saber was the ISYHCANL hilt that was further modified, was that proven false?
I think this is still a theory
though a good one :)

...i wonder just how many Yuma sabers were made... a few weeks ago Tom, brought up the yuma saber and i noticed the "lever" or aluminum block on the side of the control box. i wonder if what we are seeing in unpainted black buttons?

I recall thd9791 said that (from one of the guys who was there during the Yuma sequence) there were at least 7 "stunts" on set the day of filming. But that's not differentiating the metal stunts to the resin stunts either so take that as you will.

And as far as I know, the ISYHCANL is the "Hero" which was made from one of the Yumas. Also, does anyone else read ISYHCANL "Iss-can-el" whenever they read it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I recall @thd9791 said that (from one of the guys who was there during the Yuma sequence) there were at least 7 "stunts" on set the day of filming. But that's not differentiating the metal stunts to the resin stunts either so take that as you will.
Oh!
He was around for the air cannon scene. He meant there were multiples to stick into R2/the air cannon, so resin stunts!

I recall @thd9791 said that (from one of the guys who was there during the Yuma sequence) there were at least 7 "stunts" on set the day of filming. But that's not differentiating the metal stunts to the resin stunts either so take that as you will.

And as far as I know, the ISYHCANL is the "Hero" which was made from one of the Yumas. Also, does anyone else read ISYHCANL "Iss-can-el" whenever they read it?

ISHY-can-el.

Which is wrong, but it's what me brain does.

Last edited by a moderator:
Throwing a few more pics on here - thoughts? I remember a rumor that the Yuma control boxes were resin
vlcsnap-2017-01-31-16h09m34s113.jpgvlcsnap-2017-01-31-16h09m50s117.jpgvlcsnap-2017-01-31-16h14m11s212.jpgvlcsnap-2017-01-31-16h14m30s215.jpg
vlcsnap-2017-01-31-16h28m34s108.jpgvlcsnap-2017-01-31-16h35m41s179.jpgvlcsnap-2017-01-31-16h35m53s179.jpg

Then there's this one

vlcsnap-2017-01-31-17h27m37s33.jpgvlcsnap-2017-01-31-17h27m24s28.jpgvlcsnap-2017-01-31-17h27m04s24.jpgvlcsnap-2017-01-31-17h26m45s18.jpgvlcsnap-2017-01-31-17h26m10s149.jpgvlcsnap-2017-01-31-17h27m48s36.jpg

attachment.php

you think this is silver tape on the neck? where the graffers tape is on the V2?

as for the yuma box being resin, it sure matches the same shine of the aluminum... my gut says the yuma box is aluminum as well

http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=703130&d=1485915152

you think this is silver tape on the neck? where the graffers tape is on the V2?

as for the yuma box being resin, it sure matches the same shine of the aluminum... my gut says the yuma box is aluminum as well

Nah
I personally think the paint on the neck chipped off during filming. each scene shows some degree of metal showing through. they probably painted it and the paint protected the metal underneath!

Nah
I personally think the paint on the neck chipped off during filming. each scene shows some degree of metal showing through. they probably painted it and the paint protected the metal underneath!

i only ask because i wonder if its constructed in 3 pieces like the V2. and required something to keep the emitter from spinning. wait a minute... see im foggy on the V3, thats the saber that went into space correct? if it is its still at the ranch. my friend went to visit her son (he works for ILM) and she took a bunch of pics of it to so me

i only ask because i wonder if its constructed in 3 pieces like the V2. and required something to keep the emitter from spinning. wait a minute... see im foggy on the V3, thats the saber that went into space correct? if it is its still at the ranch. my friend went to visit her son (he works for ILM) and she took a bunch of pics of it to so me

Haha!

It's difficult to keep track, these sabers in the desert were not spinning props. They were solid aluminum lathed and new for rotj

Haha!

It's difficult to keep track, these sabers in the desert were not spinning props. They were solid aluminum lathed and new for rotj

any luck hunting down the video of hamill and his son playing with the yuma? i worked late yet again and haven't had much time to youtube hunt

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back