Darth Vader's Rogue One Lightsaber

logically it has to be the ANH lightsaber since this massacre happens shortly before they capture leias ship and march an imperial whoop ass on the rebels. but vader has several ignition sounds on his lightsaber...as far as I can recall from last night, the ignition was a the same high pitched shriek but lot baser hum than normal but the deactivation was the same high pitched shriek we all know.
thoughts?

Basing it off of the saber that is shown in the Rogue One Visual Guide, as well as the Hot Toys figure (with those figures being accurate and true to their source about 99% of the time), the saber is an ESB/ROTJ with the longer grips and the wires near the emitter. So basically they're kind of retconning the ANH Vader saber.

I also noticed that the ignition sound for the saber is pretty much the exact ignition of his saber used in the Season 2 Finale of Rebels where he fights Ahsoka ( the "Then you will die" ignition), so that's pretty cool.

I agree they are redconning the ESB/ROTJ lightsaber for R1 and I'm okay with that.

The ANH Vader lightsaber prop was original and unique, and it's clearly visible as it is in ANH. How it appears in R1 will never change the original prop so I'm not overly concerned with this version not being identical to ANH.

Sure-- again... logically and narratively it should be the ANH. But production doesn't play that way. In ROTJ within the same duel Vader goes through three different sabers that in-story are the same one. And as others have pointed out, toys and visual guides don't have a perfect track record as they crib from archive sources that are mixed.

I don't think there's a shot onscreen that will settle this. If there's a promo shot or BTS source down the road that gives us a look, great. Until then, I will pretend it's the ANH. :)

Last edited:
20161218_135311.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

It's not a MPP it looks like an aluminum copy. Maybe with original parts. But the tube isn't chromed and doesn't have the text. Also, the shroud has no wrinkle and the thumb screw is brass.

- - - Updated - - -

My best guess is a custom replica body and shroud with Roy's or Gino's grips and a clamp from TCSS or Parks

View attachment 691276

- - - Updated - - -

It's not a MPP it looks like an aluminum copy. Maybe with original parts. But the tube isn't chromed and doesn't have the text. Also, the shroud has no wrinkle and the thumb screw is brass.

- - - Updated - - -

My best guess is a custom replica body and shroud with Roy's or Gino's grips and a clamp from TCSS or Parks
Or it's 3-D printed like all of TFA's props were. To my dissatisfaction....

Again, I don't trust visual guides. The people who put them together get whatever their Lucas film contact decides to give them. It could be a pic from anything. Until I see a pic from the R1 set, Shrodinger's lightsaber is an ANH. :)

With the screws in the grips and the condition of the paint on the shroud, I'm wondering if they took a photo of the hero ESB/ROTJ saber and just photoshopped out the English lettering instead of that being a new photo of the R1 prop.

Do the rust spots match up? That'd probably be the easiest way to tell.

No they dont. There's no rust. The screw is brass.The grip screws and grip cut's are more uniform. The saber body looks aluminum. And the Oval hole with the red wire is smaller

It still could've been photoshopped. No way of telling for sure until pictures of it ON SET or in a museum are released.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

If you look at the shroud, Where the 'U section' under the thumb screw meets the box (I hope that make sense) you can see it's not a real MPP. On a real MPP, specificly, on the ESB hero, you can see the U section flares and has a rounded corner where it meets the box.
MPP05.jpg

But on the Rogue one saber, the U-section is straight and the corner where it meets the box is very sharp.
attachment.php

It looks to me a lot more like one of these replica models
http://www.shapeways.com/product/XZCYVM68S/mpp-vader-lightsaber-shroud-v2?optionId=60333509

Last edited:
i think the D rings are different gauges too, they did a really nice job weathering the damn thing

Nice eye Dan! (y)

But, aside from this comparision ..... unless we find evidence that there were real MPP shrouds made from steel (and able to rust), this shroud may be the used one, but no proof it was a real MPP.

I just got back from seeing RO again. I watched carefully when Vader appeared near the end, and it did look like the grips did NOT go all the way to the clamp. Can't swear to that, and it was less than a second that you could even see it. This probably won't be definitely answered until Blu Ray.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back