M19 Scope - No markings - Genuine?

Solo

Sr Member
So, I finally got a genuine M19 Tank Scope for a little less than they normally go for, but still VERY EXPENSIVE. It certainly appears to be the real deal. But, it's rather unique, from others I've seen, as it's missing the markings on the top of the main view port.

This was advertised as a Stuart M3/M5 Tank Scope in the auction (maybe someone here sold it?). I saw photos before I purchased and noticed I couldn't see any markings, but figured they were just painted over so much they weren't legible in photos. When I got it yesterday, I looked closer and there are no markings except for a random 4 engraved on the outside (see the last photo). Which would line up with where the serial number should be, I guess. I can see normally through the scope, as I expected. And inside along the edge of the lens it reads, 37MM-M5.

I have a few M38s and they all have the usual markings, but this one...I'm baffled. Another interesting part is that the sides of the larger viewing port ring are slightly narrower than the rest of the ring - they were ground down, for some reason. So, my guess is that the top markings were ground off, as well. Not sure why, but that's what I'm thinking.

Also, the light port is unusual, compared to the photos I've seen of other genuine M19s. What's up with that?

So, can anyone confirm that this is actually a genuine item? Thanks for your help. (See photos for reference.)

IMG_6062.JPGIMG_6063.JPGIMG_6064.JPGIMG_6065.JPGIMG_6069.JPG

Is there any type reticle when you look through the lens? Weathering can be faked. A reticle is much more difficult. All of my real tank scopes have had reticles inside. It could be as you said. Parts of it were ground down for some other purpose and it was repainted, covering up the markings.

i've been thinking about this. it LOOKS genuine, and it looks like it was ground or cut in places so I wouldn't doubt fine markings were ground off.

the reticle is a great marker though. The metal underneath looks genuine.... this may sound weird but does it SMELL vintage? :)

Is there any type reticle when you look through the lens? Weathering can be faked. A reticle is much more difficult. All of my real tank scopes have had reticles inside. It could be as you said. Parts of it were ground down for some other purpose and it was repainted, covering up the markings.

Yes. There is a reticle inside. It’s an open circle reticle with a dot in the center with long vertical crosshairs and short horizontal crosshairs. My m38s have a circle reticle with range numbers and lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i've been thinking about this. it LOOKS genuine, and it looks like it was ground or cut in places so I wouldn't doubt fine markings were ground off.

the reticle is a great marker though. The metal underneath looks genuine.... this may sound weird but does it SMELL vintage? :)

Yep. This thing smells very old. Like when you clean out an old house or something. I think that would be hard to fake.

Good idea about smell. I don't think that the other senses, "hearing and taste" would provide much help. :lol

TazMan2000

You’re right about that Taz. I totally ruled those senses out after I tasted it a little. [emoji16]

I'm wondering if the previous owner(s) of this scope sanded off the markings and then repainted and weathered it. Even though the actual screen used prop did have the markings, it wasn't seen by the audience in detail. Once you hold a "Stormtrooper Blaster" in your hands, you will take in all the details and feel of the prop, and be taken away to a place far, far away with an actual blaster in your hand. Having the actual markings on the scope would kind of put you back in reality.

TazMan2000

If its got a reticle I'm inclined to say its genuine. If you're not happy with the condition of the scope, you could always resell it and get one more to your liking. There's one on eBay right now.

Sounds and looks good to me I've a few and I know I'd have been happy with this in with my others

Seems genuine. It might have been modified by the owner or maybe even by military themselves, to be used on something else. Still an interesting pice

Yep. This thing smells very old. Like when you clean out an old house or something. I think that would be hard to fake.

Awesome find then! I have an m38 that was wrinkle coated entirely taking out the writing on the rear lens, and the front lens was emptied and a modified one was installed with a spring plate under the scope. Weird things were done to these...

If its got a reticle I'm inclined to say its genuine. If you're not happy with the condition of the scope, you could always resell it and get one more to your liking. There's one on eBay right now.

Yeah, I saw that. But, I was able to get this one closer to my budget than any others I've seen auctioned off lately. Which is still way too pricey for these things, imo. If my wife found out how much I paid for this thing she would freak!

Would love to get a more screen accurate one, but other people have more money to play with than I do. And I think some are hoarding them for a big payoff later. Which is unfortunate for those who just want to have the genuine article to properly complete their blaster build. Like me. If I have the means down the road, I will try to buy another one that suits me more. But, this one is just fine and I'm glad I was able to score one, FINALLY.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back