Solo: A Star Wars Story

I have ZERO issue with the frequency of film releases.

I DO have issues with the people in charge allowing a non-cohesive story, inconsistent character development and timeline of events pass through the green light in getting made.

I don't mind different directors. I DO mind that everything is completely disjointed and makes absolutely no sense, and that there is no intent for any elements placed into these films.

Is there REALLY a group of people that are looking at these story ideas coming through saying that Solo needed to be told? So far there's not one person I know, either hardcore nor casual Star Wars fan who agreed that this should get made. So what geniuses are part of this board who decided that this was was a priority over, say... I don't know... How about The Knights of Ren? This mysterious and rather interesting group people have talked about were COMPLETELY ignored in The Last Jedi. Maybe they should have featured in a film with Kylo Ren to show their story and downfall(?) prior to what seemed to be Kylo as the sole knight left leading the First Order.

Obviously that isn't the best idea I could come up with, but it's different, yet familiar to TFA and an extension of it, which seems to be what Disney is wanting to do in moving FORWARD.

If Disney wants to let the past die, why did they make Solo, or even Rogue One for that matter? Two Star Wars stories pre-OT.

Disney needs a very passionate, but objective leader who can see the forest from the trees such as Feige of the MCU, who truly understands the universe and connecting it all together, and with respect to the characters, lore, and magic of what makes Star Wars a force to be reckoned with.

So far there's not one person I know, either hardcore nor casual Star Wars fan who agreed that this should get made.

That's not true--you know me! Well, you know me from the internets, that is. I wanted this film to be made. Very much so. I was stoked, and thought Anthony Ingruber would crush it! I thought surely he would be cast. I mean, how could they NOT cast him??!?

The Wook

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
:lol. :lol. :lol

‘Solo’ A No-Go Due To “Poor Marketing,” Not Franchise Fatigue, Analyst Says

https://deadline.com/2018/06/disney...t-galactic-star-wars-issue-analyst-1202403154

- - - Updated - - -

You mean your Niece, Wook, your Niece, yeah that’s the ticket! ;)

"He argues that the marketing for Solo failed to persuasively sell Alden Ehrenreich as a [20-something] Han Solo."

They would've had better luck persuasively selling my 14-year nephew as a [20-something] Han Solo. At least he's six-feet tall.

The Wook

That's not true--you know me! Well, you know me from the internets, that is. I wanted this film to be made. Very much so. I was stoked, and thought Anthony Ingruber would crush it! I thought surely he would be cast. I mean, how could they NOT cast him??!?

The Wook

So, if Ingruber had been cast as Han, you could overlook the SJW droid with her droid lives matter campaign? Just thinking about it makes me want to throw up.

So, if Ingruber had been cast as Han, you could overlook the SJW droid with her droid lives matter campaign? Just thinking about it makes me want to throw up.

No, of course not. As much as I think he would've nailed the role, even that would not've been enough to make this a great film--everything else being the same (such as the horrible droid). But, I would've enjoyed the movie so much more because of AI playing Han.

With AE, it flat-out sucked.

The Wook

Finally saw this today. Many thoughts. One thing I have to say. This movie felt nothing like Star Wars as I know it ( cherished it ) in any way. That is until Chewbacca showed up. Chewy made the movie watchable for me. He brought Han into the story fully I thought for me.

. The movie was way too dimly lit. Both in sight and mentality. As simple as she was I liked the Enfys Nest character and her Rebels. Lando was done well I thought too.
Didn't catch any of the pansexual stuff that was talked about. Landos droid I did not care for. I liked the navigation aspect of the droid and caring for other droids but other than that the droid was very off putting, to me any way. Beckett uninteresting, same with Val and Vos. Vos light up knuckle knives were just silly. Quira was good for what part she was given.
Enjoyed seeing the Falcon's beginning and Rio the pilot was cool too. Although I never felt like the voice matched him or should be coming out of him.

I liked it for what it was. Could it have been better. Absolutely, but after TLJ there was nowhere to go but up. Not all that much higher but you get the idea.

I would have liked to have seen a Bossk, Dengar, Zuckuss, 4 LOM or IG 88 for sure.

I have to think that there is someone out there actually has the talent to write a Star Wars Movie or Movies that has there finger on the pulse of what made the OT Movies so cherished to so many of us. There just has to be. Look at what Adywan did.

The industry "analyst" Creutz doesn't seem to be well equipped to be analyzing Solo's box office issues. Particular when he dismisses: " lingering fan animus toward TLJ, “If the franchise was able to survive Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones, we have a hard time believing Last Jedi could have done that much damage,” Creutz writes." The difference is that TPM and AOTC didn't wipe out the existing Star Wars universe and thus alienate long-time fans in the process. (Full disclosure: I actually like the prequel trilogy.) Is Creutz tone deaf. Although I can appreciate how marketing may have exacerbated Solo's box office woes, I do believe that push back from TLJ did affect Solo to some degree.

Creutz also seems incredulous that LFL has been plagued by production issues while Marvel has not. I'm not sure that's a fair comparison as Creutz seems to forget that Marvel comics has a rich history spanning back to the 1940s, and Stan Lee and Jack Kirby began implementing the successful cross-over storylines in the 1960s, which are currently the backbone of Marvel Production. In contrast, LFL has only the Skywalker saga to draw upon, which is relatively limited in scope compared to Marvel. I believe that when you have so many great comic books to draw your stories from, that solves many potential issues in pre production and production. Star Wars doesn't have this luxury, although this problem is somewhat self imposed as they could walk over to Lucas and ask him to create some new stories. Creutz also forgets to mention that Marvel did have production issues with Ant-Man when Edgar Wright left, deep sixed the promising-looking Inhumans movie which eventually became a Z-grade tv show, and (even though it's a TV production) insipidly gave the green light to produce Iron Fist (which deserves an iron foot in its ass).

I just hope that Creutz's analyses of other publicly-traded companies never make it into the hands of my financial planner and the managers of the mutual funds I invest in.

‘Solo’ A No-Go Due To “Poor Marketing,” Not Franchise Fatigue, Analyst Says

https://deadline.com/2018/06/disney...t-galactic-star-wars-issue-analyst-1202403154

Separately, I'm not so sure that Larry Kasden and his son are the best choice to be pushing and writing new SW movies. SW fans might give him too much credit for the success of ESB. Lucas did come up with the story, and Leigh Brackett wrote the first draft which is fairly similar to the final version. Larry Kasden also wrote ROTJ, which has some of the most stilted dialogue in the OT.

The industry "analyst" Creutz doesn't seem to be well equipped to be analyzing Solo's box office issues. Particular when he dismisses: " lingering fan animus toward TLJ, “If the franchise was able to survive Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones, we have a hard time believing Last Jedi could have done that much damage,” Creutz writes." The difference is that TPM and AOTC didn't wipe out the existing Star Wars universe and thus alienate long-time fans in the process. (Full disclosure: I actually like the prequel trilogy.) Is Creutz tone deaf. Although I can appreciate how marketing may have exacerbated Solo's box office woes, I do believe that push back from TLJ did affect Solo to some degree.

Creutz also seems incredulous that LFL has been plagued by production issues while Marvel has not. I'm not sure that's a fair comparison as Creutz seems to forget that Marvel comics has a rich history spanning back to the 1940s, and Stan Lee and Jack Kirby began implementing the successful cross-over storylines in the 1960s, which are currently the backbone of Marvel Production. In contrast, LFL has only the Skywalker saga to draw upon, which is relatively limited in scope compared to Marvel. I believe that when you have so many great comic books to draw your stories from, that solves many potential issues in pre production and production. Star Wars doesn't have this luxury, although this problem is somewhat self imposed as they could walk over to Lucas and ask him to create some new stories. Creutz also forgets to mention that Marvel did have production issues with Ant-Man when Edgar Wright left, deep sixed the promising-looking Inhumans movie which eventually became a Z-grade tv show, and (even though it's a TV production) insipidly gave the green light to produce Iron Fist (which deserves an iron foot in its ass).

I just hope that Creutz's analyses of other publicly-traded companies never make it into the hands of my financial planner and the managers of the mutual funds I invest in.

Separately, I'm not so sure that Larry Kasden and his son are the best choice to be pushing and writing new SW movies. SW fans might give him too much credit for the success of ESB. Lucas did come up with the story, and Leigh Brackett wrote the first draft which is fairly similar to the final version. Larry Kasden also wrote ROTJ, which has some of the most stilted dialogue in the OT.

I agree that there is some bad blood due to how TLJ was handled, especially Luke Skywalker and how the Force was portrayed as something that could kill you in certain circumstances.

Star Wars doesn't have a history of stories dating back to the 40's. But they do have a respectable history of EU/Legends stories dating all the way back to the OT movies. That's about 32 years of material until the Disney acquisition, plus whatever they've done since the acquisition. They have far more than just the Saga to draw from....far more. The real reason that SW cannot keep pace with the MCU is because of how passionate the leadership is for the respective material. Also, Feige handles the movies and has nothing to do with the TV side of Marvel. Do not conflate the two sides of that coin.

I do agree that Jon Kasdan should have nothing to do with writing SW movies. He is completely unqualified and cannot even handle simple interviews. His father, despite some stumbles, still has it within him to produce a good script.

Moving forward, I really wonder what Disney will do next, with this movie turning out as badly for them as it has. I’ll admit here that when I mentioned a “minority” of fans who were unhappy about TLJ and to a lesser extent much of the other stuff produced since Disney bought the franchise, I may have underestimated just how widespread the sentiment was. It’s difficult to gauge anger on the internet, since the most vocal people tend to be on one extreme or the other.

A question for anyone here, whether you have liked the last few movies or not: what would you rather see going forward? Brand new characters, worlds, and stories, all far removed from what has come before, or more attempts to “get it right” with familiar heroes/villains/places and the frequent nostalgia callbacks we’ve been seeing?

Personally, the way things have been going, I’d opt for the former. I’m curious if Disney has it backwards. Instead of mining the OT for every bit of nostalgia they can (and missing the mark on “doing it right” according to many, many fans), maybe they should try something entirely different? I’m sure early discussions centered around the idea that the OT was the best loved part of the franchise and that tying new films to it was somewhat crucial to fan happiness and monetary success. Maybe they were wrong?

Last edited:
The industry "analyst" Creutz doesn't seem to be well equipped to be analyzing Solo's box office issues. Particular when he dismisses: " lingering fan animus toward TLJ, “If the franchise was able to survive Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones, we have a hard time believing Last Jedi could have done that much damage,” Creutz writes." The difference is that TPM and AOTC didn't wipe out the existing Star Wars universe and thus alienate long-time fans in the process. (Full disclosure: I actually like the prequel trilogy.)

I think that rather ignores the comments of fans around the time of the PT. I know I felt like "Star Wars was dead" and that my Star Wars had been abandoned for some crappy new version that I wanted nothing to do with. I mean, I still paid to see ROTS in the theater, but I did so just feeling kind of...empty about it. I've come to appreciate the Prequel era, if not all of the prequel films (ROTS is watchable, though). But when those films came out and especially for a few years after, there was absolutely fan backlash.

Is Creutz tone deaf. Although I can appreciate how marketing may have exacerbated Solo's box office woes, I do believe that push back from TLJ did affect Solo to some degree.

I doubt it, to be honest. I think that the box office is pretty anemic right now altogether. Other than Infinity War, nobody's doing mindblowing numbers. Deadpool 2, for example, dropped the same percentage weekend 1 to weekend 2 as Solo: 65%. Solo has topped the box office the last two weeks, which suggests to me more that people just aren't going to the movies that much, rather than that they are specifically bothered by Solo. You might see some Star Wars fatigue (into which I would also lump TLJ dissatisfaction), but I think that's only affecting things at the edges.

Within the fandom, I think it could also be that people are like "Really? A Han Solo prequel? I mean...I guess I'll see it at some point, but...eh...whatever." That's more about the concept that nobody was ever really asking for. That's been my response. I want to see it, but more because I'm curious to see the Star Wars universe itself be expanded, not because I give a crap about who Han Solo dated when he was drag racing cars or whatever.

Finally got around to seeing Solo myself:

-L3 is super annoying and basically throws "droid equal rights" in your face for half the movie. Now I've heard it's deliberate, but it doesn't come across as such at all. It's just annoying. I'm actually kinda happy when she is destroyed so we don't have to listen to her excessive jabbering.

-The showing was too dark, which I've heard is a prominent problem with this movie. I could hardly make out any details, and everything looked desaturated. It was not visually enticing at all.

-There's waaaaaay too much "wink wink nudge nudge" thrown into the dialogue. The amount of callbacks was almost every other line. It comes to the point of being annoyingly superfluous. Like, we get it, this is what's going to happen in the OT. It's terrible. The dialogue in general isn't great though.

-Fortunately Alden Ehrenreich makes it work. He's not a terrible Han, but he's not a great Harrison Ford either. He's his own character at points who occasionally throws out dialogue with a Han-like inflections.

-Are we really supposed to believe that Lando's been hanging on to that same Jabba Palace guard costume for 15 years? Really? That was a terrible callback.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back