My Iron Man Mark III Helmet 3d Print Files (V3 available in post #1 now!)

Nice. Is drumguy560 planning to model the whole suit?

I've never worked with 3d printed metal but I imagine there would be just as much finishing work as other materials. How will you deal with that? Maybe some sort of grinder?

Back toward the beginning of the thread he had a couple renders of th eneck pieces and the upper chest substrate braces and he said he wanted to eventually do the entire suit and all its layers.

Sintered has a lot less finishing needed than extruded/deposited, and the metal sintering tends to have a higher "resolution" than powdered plastics. I've seen some 3D printed titanium items and they just had a nice satin finish. The guy didn't mention any finishing work or PITA cleanup, but I admit I haven't delved that deeply into it -- I know it's a thing in the industry, so I'm not worried about what happens when I get to that point.

--Jonah

Hey guys! Chiming in here!

ive got some other projects that have taken priority over my pal mk3. So eventually there will be a neck and other greeblies. However, there's another thread where someone made a 3D printable neck. I can't remember if it was for the mark 3 or not though.

Ok so here is my build from the v3 files, took me forever to paint and prime.... turned out good but as a perfectionist I had to over look a few things.

The face plate comes off and is held on by strong magnets. The back bottom piece of is also held on by magnets. Otherwise my head would not fit. I just finished this today and am wearing it for Halloween with an Ironman hoodie. Fun.
IMG_0162.jpgIMG_0160.jpgIMG_0159.jpgIMG_0158.jpgIMG_0156.jpgIMG_0620.jpgIMG_0619.jpgIMG_0581.jpgIMG_0580.jpgIMG_0407.jpgIMG_0582.jpgIMG_0583.jpgIMG_0396.jpgIMG_0395.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0583.JPG
    IMG_0583.JPG
    773.7 KB · Views: 585
  • IMG_0582.JPG
    IMG_0582.JPG
    816.8 KB · Views: 596
  • IMG_0581.JPG
    IMG_0581.JPG
    866.9 KB · Views: 643
  • IMG_0580.JPG
    IMG_0580.JPG
    997.7 KB · Views: 598
  • IMG_0170.jpg
    IMG_0170.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 559
  • IMG_0620.JPG
    IMG_0620.JPG
    813 KB · Views: 563
  • IMG_0619.JPG
    IMG_0619.JPG
    724.2 KB · Views: 592
I just printed this.

HTfb.jpg22f7.jpg7o8g.jpg

Used MatterHackers' pro series red PLA and standard series gold PLA. I'll probably sand and paint it with rustoleum eventually, but I like the way the gold looks right now. Its semi-translucent, so you can see the infill pattern (picture doesn't really capture this). Red pieces were printed on an Ultimaker 2 at 0.1 mm layers, and the gold ones were done on a WASP 40 70 at 0.2 mm layers. I estimate the total print time at about 120 hours. It took so long because of the fine layers, which really weren't necessary.

Most of it is held together with superglue, however there was not really a good surface for this between the top and middle red pieces. I ended up using a soldering iron on low heat to weld them together on the inside.

The default scaling is a little small, imo. I printed it at 100% and I can't get it on without removing the jaw. I do not have a large head. Once inside, though, its pretty roomy. I take this as incentive to add servos for the jaw and faceplate.

The faceplate does not fit on perfectly around the top. I suspect that the WASP was not really calibrated well. My plan is to warm it up a little past the glass transition temperature of PLA (about 65 C), then bend it into the right shape and use tape to hold it there while it cools down.

Also threw together a quick arc reactor by cutting the outline out of aluminium foil and putting it in front of an EL panel.

Lastly, this is my first post. Hi Everyone!

Re: Iron Man Mark III Helmet 3d Print Files

Thank you for your files. Mine printed nicely. Could you please share the neck stl that you made. I wanted to make a bust version of this mark 3. Thanks

This my 3d printing based on your file. Thank you for your great efford and talent.

[
C3AC7B9F-972D-4327-A4AE-4BBDC308FD7F_zpszh7ixpjs.jpg
URL=http://s166.photobucket.com/user/dankarumanov/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpscfabkhqa.jpeg.html]
image_zpscfabkhqa.jpg
[/URL]

I am wanting to give this a go, but reading the comments about issues with the website from where the fies are downloaded from is a little off putting. I did click one of the links but the page would not load.

Would it not be possible to just upload the correct/required files to the likes of http://www.thingiverse.com ???

My wife just measured my head at it's broadest width, and it was 24,5. Do you think this will still fit me or do I need to enlarge the print?

I've been coming back to this thread over and over! I thought I would show what I've been doing with your files! Thanks for the work you put in and I hope you like what I'm up to!

1.jpg

Thanks again!

Printer Prusa i3 MK3

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back