Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Pre-release)

The good thing is that the Empire never launches enough TIEs!

Is Donnie Yen's character blind? If so it kind of looks like they're doing a sort of Book of Eli character. He's apparently a Force worshipper and it kind of looks like he's protected because the Stormtroopers miss him point blank. Yeah they miss ha ha, but we know that was hero shields.

The good thing is that the Empire never launches enough TIEs!

Is Donnie Yen's character blind? If so it kind of looks like they're doing a sort of Book of Eli character. He's apparently a Force worshipper and it kind of looks like he's protected because the Stormtroopers miss him point blank. Yeah they miss ha ha, but we know that was hero shields.

Chirrut Imwe. Yes, blind. Not a force sensitive user, but a believer.

I supposed there is always the possibility that the Force is actively protecting him...even if he cannot use it.

I will probably see the movie after I have bought a used BluRay at a flea market a couple of years from now.

NuWars isn't my Star Wars. I have not seen Kyle Katarn or Bria Tharen mentioned anywhere.

The tone of the trailers does vary tremendously from the first dark and doomy ones to the hope ,glory and victory of the latest.A very definite effort seems to have been made to lighten the movie,and I imagine it will be pitched somewhere between it all by the end. At the moment it doesn't feel half as gritty and threatening as I originally thought it would be (but perhaps thats just the beaches and palm trees!!!!).
If I'm honest I preffered the doomy possiblities. When Jyn is surely and angry she's interesting. The chirpy "jolly hockey sticks, now lets go out there and get slaughtered" team prep talk just doesn't feel quite right in the clips but within the film it'll probably be better. But I still think they are going for that "two parter" twinned with "A New Hope" vibe, rather than something too risky.
I AM surprised by how much world building has gone on here in the background. For a film set in a time when the Jedi were supposed to be all but extinct there does seem to be a tremendous amount of mythology about the Force in it. I'm not against that, I'm simply slightly taken aback by how central it seems to be to the story, given this was supposed to be just about soldiers on the front line. I'm more convinced than ever that the reshoots have been done to expand that deliberately for the franchise in both the past and the future by the story team.
And yes I don't think the interest ( outside of the fan forums) for the story with the general public exists the way it did for "TFA". That really was cultural event, so information about what was going to happen was at an absolute premium. We all know the general outcome for "Rogue One" but where they have been clever is by writing all this additional Force mythology in , it does deepen the story possibilities.
And despite all the recent trailers I don't think we've been spoiled much at all. Look at how much was known about TFA before it came out and just look how stuffed that movie actually was (and the pages of debate that were posted after that).
If anything the trailers have actually increased my excitement levels. I just love the glimpses we have had of all the OT designs and themes in new enviroments. Those Ties and X wings , Walkers and STs ,I never expected to ever see those again in a new movie and I'm pretty thrilled that we are, more so than I was for TFA. Visually it looks stunning,so much better than I hoped and I really am delighted that Lucasfilm and Disney actually took the risk to make this film.

Last edited:
Please remember that just because a post brings up politics does mean that it's open season for everyone else ignore the rules as well. Report it and/or ignore it and move on. Thanks.

I'm worried also that the teasers & trailers might show too much,....gonna try & avoid seeing any more

Can't wait for this movie

J

Listening to fans discuss the marketing for this film sounds like the various stages of grief. Denial, complaining they aren't giving us enough for the casual fan, now fear they are showing too much.

Listening to fans discuss the marketing for this film sounds like the various stages of grief. Denial, complaining they aren't giving us enough for the casual fan, now fear they are showing too much.

Ha,...yeah,...I've just learned recently,....I saw too much of TFA before I saw it in full,....loved it all the same,.....but I've seen various Marvel films & avoided many of the trailers.....I honestly prefer not to see too much......I'd rather not see the jigsaw pieces spread across the floor,...then see them assembled on the big screen

J

Obviously we know the ultimate outcome of this movie - unless there's some huge twist and this isn't the group that gets the Death Star plans to Leia. How that happens is a mostly a mystery. I've been mostly spoiler free about this one - not sure if it's because the info isn't as readily available or if I'm just not looking in the right places.

What I've seen in the trailers and other spots didn't seem to be a huge spoiler-fest to me. I'm not sure quite yet how all these pieces fit together - or the planet names (I've learned more of these here than anywhere) or quite what's going on.

How built was Bob Anderson? Spencer Wilding is very well built man. It's just the angle and placement. Vader costume wears oddly in several scenes of the other movies as well.

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 681815
6'7" Spencer Wilding said to be playing Vader in R1

Note how he's pushing his unimpressive biceps out with his hands? This guy was miscast. He's got the height, and acceptable shoulder width, I suppose. But he's a beanpole. He's got no girth to him at all. And look at those legs! Last time I saw a leg like that it had a note attached to it! Mainly it's his lack of chest and shoulder girth that's the problem. He also has skinny arms, and thin and delicate-looking hands. Nowhere near as robustly built as David Prowse! Way too gracile to play Vader.

RPF member Cenobyte (Brandon) makes a much better Vader! He's 6' 6", and possesses not just the requisite width, but also the requisite girth, to properly pull off the dark Lord. Here are a couple of photos of Brandon from a charity event he came to for my friend's dying daughter. And a special note of thanks to Brandon for suiting up that day, as he was sick as a dog with a cold. Great guy.

I will say this about Brandon's Vader. I've worked side-by-side with official LFL Vader actors, and lots of fan Vader costumers, and Brandon is the ONLY one who made me feel like I was standing next to the REAL Darth Vader. Between his legit size (length, width, AND girth), and the uncanny Vader presence he possessed, it was a pure joy working with him. Made me feel like a little kid again.

The Wook

OliviasEvent1.jpgOliviasEvent5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah to keep from seeing too much, I think this recent tv spot is it for me until release. I saw this battery commercial with kids roleplaying the Rogue One cast... not sure if it follows the film but.... it was a bit spoilery if you ask me. Oh well, I'll discuss the trailers and speculate but no more teasers from here on out lol :D

Note how he's pushing his unimpressive biceps out with his hands? This guy was miscast. He's got the height, and acceptable shoulder width, I suppose. But he's a beanpole. He's got no girth to him at all. And look at those legs! Last time I saw a leg like that it had a note attached to it! Mainly it's his lack of chest and shoulder girth that's the problem. He also has skinny arms, and thin and delicate-looking hands. Nowhere near as robustly built as David Prowse! Way too gracile to play Vader.

The solution would have dictated a completely new and larger chest armor. Roland is 6'5" and highly trained in martial arts including Wushu and sword fighting. Perfect for the role yet not for the costume.

ji0x8l.jpg

The solution would have dictated a completely new and larger chest armor. Roland is 6'5" and highly trained in martial arts including Wushu and sword fighting. Perfect for the role yet not for the costume.

http://i64.tinypic.com/ji0x8l.jpg

Style, I know you work in the biz and have met a ton of celebs. Have you met Kickinger? Is he really that tall?? A quick google search has most sites listing him at 6' 4". Which tells me he's probably 6' 3". If that's the case, he'd look too short as Vader. Particularly with his excessive bulk, he'd look too blocky.

The Wook

Bob Anderson was thinner and only 6'1" I didn't hear people complaining. And he played Vader quite a bit, large chunks. Why do people always forget Bob?

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back