Total Recall [2112] Bolo Gun Mystery [Pic Heavy]

JD Douglas

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey everyone,

I have been searching everywhere and can't find the answer: what kind of gun did they use for the bolo weapon in Total Recall? Was it built on an established weapon or designed from scratch? This has been driving me crazy!

The mystery is compounded by the fact that the mystery bolo gun appears from nowhere! Screencaps follow (eye candy spoiler alert):

Exhibit A

1] A synthetic and a few human soldiers close in on our hero. They are obviously armed with KRISS Vectors and don't appear to have any other SMGs on board.

1-1.jpg

2] A soldier pokes his Vector through the window.

1-2.jpg

3] What's this? The synthetic is back and that doesn't look like a Vector muzzle...

1-3.jpg

4] Nope, no Vector, but it does have a tactical rail and red dot sight. This weapon has the profile of a Warhammer Bolt Pistol, doesn't it?

1-4.jpg

5] Surprise! Is this how the Vector manages recoil so well? I don't think so...

1-5.jpg

6] Fffzzzzzzzzt! It's bolo time!

1-6.jpg

Exhibit 2

1] Our hero takes a leisurely flight and gears up with a KRISS Vector and a satchel full of mines.

2-1.jpg

2] Check the time, don't want to do too long...

2-2.jpg

3] Our hero with a Vector and satchel and no secondary weapon.

2-3.jpg

4] Our hero bursts through the door and...surprise!

2-4.jpg

5] That's no Vector, that's my wife!

2-5.jpg

6] Surprise again, bad guy #2!

2-6.jpg

7] Our hero tires of carrying the spontaneously appearing bolo gun and puts it down. His Vector is clearly in tow.

2-7.jpg

8] Is that a KRISS Super V System in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

2-8.jpg

Summation

The Bolo Weapon is awesome!

However, for some reason it was denied significant screen time. Not only that, but they edited the film to try and hide the fact that it isn't a KRISS Vector! What gives?

If you've read this far, thank you for your time.

If you've read this far and know the answers to my questions, thank you even more. ;)

- JD

Attachments

• 1-1.jpg
    1-1.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 188
It's a TDI Vector machine gun, there used through the film. It looks like some small add-on's were added to the front for the bolo weapon part. In the film there used in different configurations: with or without the foldable stocks, front bottom grip, lights, ect. Propstore.com has sold the screen used pieces in the past.

So yea, just a modified Vector.

Here are some more caps, with a Vector thrown in for reference (shot0001).

The ejection port suggests a blank-firing automatic of some kind.

-MJ

Attachments

• shot0008.jpg
    shot0008.jpg
    351.4 KB · Views: 274
  • shot0009-A.jpg
    shot0009-A.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 237
  • shot0010.jpg
    shot0010.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 294
  • shot0001.jpg
    shot0001.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 243
  • shot0017.jpg
    shot0017.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 236
  • shot0009.jpg
    shot0009.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 294
It's a TDI Vector machine gun, there used through the film. It looks like some small add-on's were added to the front for the bolo weapon part...

I can't see how the bolo can possibly be a modified Vector, unless by modified you mean they removed the shroud for the magazine feed and bolt mechanism entirely, removed the trigger guard and relocated the trigger, and foreshortened the barrel.

Not trying to be a jackhole; I just don't see it. Check out MJ's screen caps--the profiles are completely different.

- JD

the police carry a side arm, not sure if it's the same weapon but it does have a distinctive grip

6128480969_876a777476_z.jpg

Scratch that, it's the Chiappa Rhino 50DS Revolver but with a custom grip.

Last edited:
Yup, your absolutely right, I read it wrong and saw the pics of the Vektor, so........delete that post :)

Thank god. After I replied to your post I went back and dissected those two scenes over and over, trying to figure out how I was wrong. It seems whenever I tell someone that I'm correct, it comes back to bite me and I look twice the fool I did from the beginning. :facepalm

- JD

C'mon folks, I can't believe no one here knows more about this gun.

I can believe no one here cares, but not that no one knows... :wacko

- JD

It's an odd design if based off a real firearm. Open bolt above the grip therefore the magazine fits inside the grip yet you can see out the back of the cartridge ejection hole. Normally you would only have the side open. My best guess is that it's a custom made using a MAC-10 as the base.

I know the guy who made these guns for the movie.

I actually had a chance to buy a vector and some other guns from the movie..

unfortunately at a few thousand a pop it was not in the budget at the time.

they were cool as hell tho, kind of wish I took some pictures now so I could help you out more.

It's an odd design if based off a real firearm. Open bolt above the grip therefore the magazine fits inside the grip yet you can see out the back of the cartridge ejection hole. Normally you would only have the side open. My best guess is that it's a custom made using a MAC-10 as the base.

More probably a micro Uzi was used for the base gun

skint, thanks for the analysis, and Megamicrofish, thanks for the thoughts, too! Very helpful, and I'm going to look hard at both guns.

...kind of wish I took some pictures now so I could help you out more.

Ah, so close! Wrench, any chance you could check in with the armorer and solve this mystery for us? :)

- JD

skint, thanks for the analysis, and Megamicrofish, thanks for the thoughts, too! Very helpful, and I'm going to look hard at both guns.

Ah, so close! Wrench, any chance you could check in with the armorer and solve this mystery for us? :)

- JD

For sure, I shoot with him from time to time, Being winter in the snowy north and in his line of work I don't see him often but I will try to track him down and see what he says.

I can tell you that its defiantly no uzi or mac 10.

More likely to be a glock or other pistol carbine conversion kit with the stock removed, they sell more and more of them these days and some look quite similar to this. I would start there.

That would be great, thanks again Wrench!

Oh, and tell him there are a bunch of fans of his work out there that, unfortunately, aren't reflected in the reviews or ticket sales. :( I, for one, thought the movie had a lot more going for it than it was given credit for.

- JD

For sure, I shoot with him from time to time, Being winter in the snowy north and in his line of work I don't see him often but I will try to track him down and see what he says.

I can tell you that its defiantly no uzi or mac 10.

More likely to be a glock or other pistol carbine conversion kit with the stock removed, they sell more and more of them these days and some look quite similar to this. I would start there.

That actually looks like the pistol from Halo...

Just googled that and you are right on the money.

Okay here is your next challange, identify the flashlight on the 5 position flashlight mount on the Kriss Vectors they use.

TotalRecall-Vector.jpg

I'm having lots of trouble with it.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back