Rian Johnson to write and direct a new trilogy of films.. (Star Wars Universe)

I just don't get all the outrage over Ackbar's fate in TLJ. This is the same dude whose first instinct was to high-tail it when the second Death Star went live during the Battle of Endor. Luckily, Lando was able to talk him into hanging around and fighting it out. Hero of The Battle of Endor, indeed.

Sure, the whole "It's a trap!" thing has taken on a life of its own on the Internet but that doesn't change the fact that he didn't actually do a whole heck of a lot in Jedi.

Totally agree with the fact that Ackbar is basically just a throwaway character with a cameo, but I didn't even realize they killed the dude until someone mentioned it to me after the movie.

Guy: "Dude, I can't believe they just killed off Ackbar like that."
Me: "They killed Ackbar?"
Guy "Yeah, he was on the bridge when Leia got blown out to space."
Me: "Oh yeah, I guess that makes sense."

I didn't have a problem with it, but apparently a lot of the fanbase did. The reason I illustrated it is because it looks a lot like the Chewie/ Leia non-hug at the end of TFA. People were up in arms about that and it was seemingly trivial. I would put them in the same category.

this is off topic but leia DID hug Chewie when she reunites with Han after the castle battle. jj let that fact go over lots of people's heads when he apologised for it, apparently.
having her hug him twice would have been bad editing....

I came here to say that I'm relatively cautiously optimistic about RJ having a trilogy with his own rules to do what he'd like. Apparently, unless I completely worship TLJ I can't say that.

That's the problem. He doesn't have his own rules to do what he'd like. There are long established, well defined rules and boundaries within the Star Wars universe. If he needs to bend and break them or make up his own to tell his story then he should exit the SWU and create his own generic Sri fi as he did with Looper. I don't question his ability as a film maker but his understanding of the SWU is that of a casual fan. I'm sure the casual fans absolutely love TLJ as well as whatever movie they watched the following weekend and probably the one after that but I doubt they really care,
If RJ cared, he should have shown more respect to the saga and the characters and saved the subversion for his trilogy. Where he, obviously, has far more creative freedom.

Note: didn't say SWIQ (but it is tangible)

Totally agree with the fact that Ackbar is basically just a throwaway character with a cameo, but I didn't even realize they killed the dude until someone mentioned it to me after the movie.

Guy: "Dude, I can't believe they just killed off Ackbar like that."
Me: "They killed Ackbar?"
Guy "Yeah, he was on the bridge when Leia got blown out to space."
Me: "Oh yeah, I guess that makes sense."

I didn't have a problem with it, but apparently a lot of the fanbase did. The reason I illustrated it is because it looks a lot like the Chewie/ Leia non-hug at the end of TFA. People were up in arms about that and it was seemingly trivial. I would put them in the same category.

Ackbar deserved better. At minimum, he deserved to go out on screen. If Ruin Johnson was half the fan he claims to be, he would have known that, and showed the character a little respect.
Ackbar.jpg

I just don't get all the outrage over Ackbar's fate in TLJ. This is the same dude whose first instinct was to high-tail it when the second Death Star went live during the Battle of Endor. Luckily, Lando was able to talk him into hanging around and fighting it out. Hero of The Battle of Endor, indeed.

Sure, the whole "It's a trap!" thing has taken on a life of its own on the Internet but that doesn't change the fact that he didn't actually do a whole heck of a lot in Jedi.

Ackbar did end up digging deep and did say: "We've got to give those fighters more time. Concentrate all fire on that Super Star Destroyer". Name one other Star Wars character who had as much screen time as Ackbar who was then killed off screen. It was a chump move by a so called fan, who should have known better. I bet broom boy gets a better send off.

Ackbar deserved better. At minimum, he deserved to go out on screen. If Ruin Johnson was half the fan he claims to be, he would have known that, and showed the character a little respect.
View attachment 805679

Exactly. Ackbar was in charge at the battle of Endor. He orchestrated the whole rebellion space assault that sealed the defeat of the Empire. He deserved the position and heroic death that Holdo stole from him.

Even the films editor regrets how Ackbar was handled.

All to allow the shallow and terrible Holdo to have an impact. Its obvious to me that Ruin wrote the movie simply to serve Kathleen Kennedy and his own slimy ambitions. Let the past die, kill it if you have to. Words that have gone down in infamy.

Last edited by a moderator:
or the much larger issue of Holdo not telling Poe what her plan was? I still take huge issue with the Holdo and Poe bit. The Holdo/ Poe thing is as much of a plot contrivance as the R2 bit in TFA. It literally defines a good chunk of the movie, and because it is such a poor device it really detracts from the movie as a whole.

What's worse is that it's so simple to fix. All you have to do is have Leia and Holdo suspect that there is a First Order mole/spy on board and that's how they were able to be tracked/found by the First Order. Then all the secrecy makes perfect sense.

If this is true it just reinforces my belief that RJ simply wanted to toss out the old in favor of the new. It seems like everybody is finding one OT nugget / plot line / icon / prop after another that are all being tossed over the shoulder, burnt to a crisp, blown into space or shattered apart...

What's worse is that it's so simple to fix. All you have to do is have Leia and Holdo suspect that there is a First Order mole/spy on board and that's how they were able to be tracked/found by the First Order. Then all the secrecy makes perfect sense.

At the end of the day I think that is what frustrates me so much about TLJ. There are so many parts that are just a little off. They could be fixed with little tweaks that would make the story so much tighter and more believable. Going back to the thing that's been said a few times now, it seems like it was a really strong first draft that went straight past the editing/ revising phase and right into production.

Really, we're pissing about the lobster dude now? Just because we have a obsessive nerd-reverence for every minor character doesn't mean each one deserves some hero's send off. I don't want to watch a ten hour movie of every silly critter's funeral. He wasn't an important character for us to grieve, no matter how much you love your Ackbar action figure.

Really, we're pissing about the lobster dude now? Just because we have a obsessive nerd-reverence for every minor character doesn't mean each one deserves some hero's send off. I don't want to watch a ten hour movie of every silly critter's funeral. He wasn't an important character for us to grieve, no matter how much you love your Ackbar action figure.

No one wants a ten hour movie funeral, I'm not sure where you're getting that from.

In the Ackbar character, you have a competent, experienced and established military leader. I would argue that he is very well placed to replace Leia in those circumstances especially over a new unknown entity. He can still do the heroic crash. It would have added more gravitas to that scene over using someone so new that has done nothing so far to endear themselves to the audience. It would have taken no further explanation or time, and everything else could have been the same.

This is one of the big problems with the movie, it just misses at every attempt.

So, now that I've finally seen "Dumpster Fire" - I mean "The Last Jedi" - I can weigh in on this subject.

Ryan Johnson can write and direct as many Star Wars films as he can **** out - I don't care.
If Disney is super excited to put all their eggs in the basket of the hack with the lowest SWIQ since George Lucas, then more power to them.
I won't be watching.
Star Wars is dead.
Star Wars can suck an egg.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back