Thick traces on PCBs

SethS

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I am always loath to challenge old established evidence... but...

Updating the guide, and I've put screencaps of all the cards I could find next to each other. Aside from a struggle to get a good Hoth screencap, I think I've got a good view of all of them. The Adywayn enhanced ESB still of the R2 bump, and the image @GINO posted showing off the Dagobah saber last week are especially clear.

My question is-- at this point, I'm not seeing any onscreen evidence of thick traces being used anywhere, outside of the one on the end of the Barbican card. Like I say in the text, I'm not saying it isn't possible-- because if there are multiples of every prop, and one PCB could have both thick and thin (as the Barbican shows), it's certainly possible some model somewhere had thick traces... I just don't see it onscreen.

Does anyone have any decent shots that show thick traces?

And just to cause @slothfurnace some extra stress over the holiday season-- the Dagobah and Bespin cards both look to have the traces coming off the the centers of the bands, as well as the sides like we see for TFA.

cards.png

...(and I've already fixed the typos).

Last edited:
I've never seen any either, except for the one trace on the Barbican like you said. I've only seen them on replicas and I never knew why

Yeah, I discussed this with Seth earlier and I also never understand why it is. I assume that a replica started it once (MR?) and got stuck and common in the collective mind.

I got it-- don't worry. ;)

thank you!

Though I am realizing, we've always assumed the cave build and ISYHCANL were the same with a changed box. We know the ISYHCANL was shot AFTER principle photograph had wrapped, and the cave build scene was during production since Mark Hamil was in it.

Given that the cave build version is what we've seen post-production as the hero, this might mean the ISYHCANL is actually a separate saber since it came second, but we've never seen that box again.
halliwax thd9791 teecrooz

--what do you guys think of that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Revised-- the PCB is actually the same on both versions for the purposes of this page.

I'm just wondering now about the hero saber...

The PCB's might look the same, but might not be the same parts. Right? So they probably build a new saber with a new box for the ISYHCANL scene. Because if the hero would have been around, they would have used that without replacing the box. So they built the ISYHCANL saber which has never been seen anymore?

I got it-- don't worry. ;)

thank you!

Though I am realizing, we've always assumed the cave build and ISYHCANL were the same with a changed box. We know the ISYHCANL was shot AFTER principle photograph had wrapped, and the cave build scene was during production since Mark Hamil was in it.

Given that the cave build version is what we've seen post-production as the hero, this might mean the ISYHCANL is actually a separate saber since it came second, but we've never seen that box again.
@halliwax @thd9791 @teecrooz

--what do you guys think of that?

Oh this is interesting. If the cave scene came before the close-up shot... yes, that would explain the jerry rigged box/saber for that scene, and the one the Archives still has. I really want to know where the close-up one went then. It has the black buttons on it at least. I heard the boxes for Yuma were resin or something, so they were definitely replaceable.

How do we know for sure the isyhcanl scene was filmed after the cave?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a hard time believing it’s two different sabers. The 3 bottom rings look exactly the same

What are the chances they machined them perfectly on 2 sabers?
c24b6c47b7ab0504ef7a51d4fd152f79.jpg
b6b5c6dab283ad934c70212d834c8866.jpg

Tapatalk updated today... why do they have to change stuff... learning curve all over again

So I went back reading. The isyhcanl scene they say the box is resin?!?!

Oh this is interesting. If the cave scene came before the close-up shot... yes, that would explain the jerry rigged box/saber for that scene, and the one the Archives still has. I really want to know where the close-up one went then. It has the black buttons on it at least. I heard the boxes for Yuma were resin or something, so they were definitely replaceable.

The barge saber looks like it’s aluminum to me. Just like you made it, that box could be removed real easy with those 2 screws right there

They could have glued the circuit card and rails on, and simply removed as installed a new box for electronics.

We need to prove when what scene was filmed

MS where are you buddy? You are a time stamp expert, help us out

The barge saber looks like it’s aluminum to me. Just like you made it, that box could be removed real easy with those 2 screws right there

They could have glued the circuit card and rails on, and simply removed as installed a new box for electronics.

We need to prove when what scene was filmed

MS where are you buddy? You are a time stamp expert, help us out

You rang? :)

so, Yuma definitely came first. I can’t seem to find the exact date of the ISYHCANL pickup. And, the cave build scene was definitely Mark’s penultimate scene filmed in all of ROTJ with the funeral pyre being the very last.. I think it’s hard to believe they would go back or recreate the ISYHCANL set so much later, so I have to believe that the pickup occurred at a smiliar time to when the full scene was filmed. It was all shot on Elstree anyway so would have been easy.

I just PMed this to Halliwax, but I'll repeat it here...

I feel like I've read here repeatedly that the ISYHCANL insert shot was done during post back in Cali. I have a pic of the stand-in actor and Marquand shooting it in the guide. It's not unusual for stand ins to do insert shots during production on small budget pics where you don't want to pay principles when you don't need them-- but Star Wars was never hurting for budget and it's not like Prowse was asking for Harrison Ford dollars... I feel like they could have got the shot on set.

It seems like the sort of shot you'd think of in post-- watching an edit and realizing you need an insert to sell a beat.

Really, it's a question for somebody who's got the call sheets.

I feel like the cave-build was shot first-- which does then raise the mystery of what happened to it,

Cause matching up the rings has some weight as well.

I should clarify one thing in my previous post. Everything with the V2 came first. When I said Yuma was first I meant in the context of the “Hero Variants.

so it looks like it went V2, Yuma, ISYHCANL, Cave build.

V2 first for sure, Yuma, then V3?

I'm still not sold on cave vs ISYHCANL over which came first.

Also, I'm shocked no one has ever done an ISYHCANL box run-- I like it SO much more. The standard hero box is the thing that has made me always dislike that saber.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, also-- it's Xmas eve, and it;s my birthday, and I couldn't be happier arguing about 30 year old props with people in the internet.

I just PMed this to Halliwax, but I'll repeat it here...

I feel like I've read here repeatedly that the ISYHCANL insert shot was done during post back in Cali. I have a pic of the stand-in actor and Marquand shooting it in the guide. It's not unusual for stand ins to do insert shots during production on small budget pics where you don't want to pay principles when you don't need them-- but Star Wars was never hurting for budget and it's not like Prowse was asking for Harrison Ford dollars... I feel like they could have got the shot on set.

It seems like the sort of shot you'd think of in post-- watching an edit and realizing you need an insert to sell a beat.

Really, it's a question for somebody who's got the call sheets.

I feel like the cave-build was shot first-- which does then raise the mystery of what happened to it,

Cause matching up the rings has some weight as well.

that was my original understanding and I’ve seen the pic. But the cave scene and funeral pyre were filmed long after many cuts had been done. Mark was apparently coming to some part or early viewing and they had him shoot those scenes very late. You could be right that ISYHCANL still came after, but that was already really late and I can’t find a definitive date for that pickup.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back