ANH Luke Droid Caller Aluminum Top Cap

TatooineMachine

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've had an original Kobold flash for a while now and I really wanted a top cap that was "screen accurate", matched the finish of the Kobold aluminum, and wouldn't fall off like I'd bet the 1977 Star Wars Droid Caller top cap did often! I did some research and the top cap is not on the droid caller in every scene and in some scenes it can be interpreted differently on the exact shape, dome height, raised off the top of the Kobold, and on and on. So I came up with my version of it and had it machined out of aluminum. It has a deep shaft that snaps inside the Kobold and is held by the sprung ball bearing and the set screw so it can hold up well when trooping, cosplaying, and surely on display without falling off. I had 2 versions machined - One for ANH Luke and one for a Jawa droid caller that's a bit different. Both versions fit the original Kobold & Linhof flashes, Dark Energy replica, and Anovos model. Here are the research pics and my top cap, let me know your thoughts, thanks! Check the Classified Project Runs too!

Chad

IMG_7304_zps1jqqjnbu.jpg

star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-2091_zps58hccoxt.jpg

star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-2025%201_zpsab6gpqas.jpg

star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-2008%201_zpsjr1xpjq3.jpg

Luke%20Kobold%201_zpsrlhifqgy.jpg

Jawa that look more flat

star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-1854%201_zpskfsyyhjs.jpg

DroidCaller_zps5jbq3uit.jpg

star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-1854_zpsirkgsvsa.jpg

DroidCaller_zpsxn1yuimb.jpeg

star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-2011_zps0c97xkwy.jpg

Here's my top cap

IMG_9803_zpspvtawz60.jpg

IMG_9802_zpscyulse8q.jpg

IMG_9804_zpsdw8rla3m.jpg

With the Jawa version

IMG_9805_zps4hiw1d1b.jpg

Full shot

IMG_9809_zpsqnzee8nl.jpg

Last edited:
I'm gonna say (and this may get rejected) that I have always thought the dome is a metal tablespoon with the handle removed. It seems commonplace enough, shiny enough, and when I place it on my Kobold it seems to overlap in exactly the same way as it does in these pics. It doesn't, in set pics, seem to line up with the edge of the Kobold, which is why, in my opinion, it fell off, probably a lot, as evidenced by the shot of Luke. The close up,taken from the garage scene, seals the deal for me. 3504.jpgCapture3.JPGLukeBiggs1-MOSW.pngLukeBiggs1-MOSWc.jpgstar-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-2912.jpgSW.JPGSW2.jpgtumblr_o5dia0Fim41us3ogyo2_1280.png

- - - Updated - - -

I'm gonna say (and this may get rejected) that I have always thought the dome is a metal tablespoon with the handle removed. It seems commonplace enough, shiny enough, and when I place it on my Kobold it seems to overlap in exactly the same way as it does in these pics. It doesn't, in set pics, seem to line up with the edge of the Kobold, which is why, in my opinion, it fell off, probably a lot, as evidenced by the shot of Luke. The close up,taken from the garage scene, seals the deal for me. 3504.jpgCapture3.JPGLukeBiggs1-MOSW.pngLukeBiggs1-MOSWc.jpgstar-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-2912.jpgSW.JPGSW2.jpgtumblr_o5dia0Fim41us3ogyo2_1280.png

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry for the double post.

And I used double sided carpet tape to attach that dome, seems to be about right.

I'm gonna say (and this may get rejected) that I have always thought the dome is a metal tablespoon with the handle removed. It seems commonplace enough, shiny enough, and when I place it on my Kobold it seems to overlap in exactly the same way as it does in these pics. It doesn't, in set pics, seem to line up with the edge of the Kobold, which is why, in my opinion, it fell off, probably a lot, as evidenced by the shot of Luke. The close up,taken from the garage scene, seals the deal for me. View attachment 789382View attachment 789383View attachment 789384View attachment 789385View attachment 789386View attachment 789387View attachment 789388View attachment 789389

- - - Updated - - -

I'm gonna say (and this may get rejected) that I have always thought the dome is a metal tablespoon with the handle removed. It seems commonplace enough, shiny enough, and when I place it on my Kobold it seems to overlap in exactly the same way as it does in these pics. It doesn't, in set pics, seem to line up with the edge of the Kobold, which is why, in my opinion, it fell off, probably a lot, as evidenced by the shot of Luke. The close up,taken from the garage scene, seals the deal for me. View attachment 789382View attachment 789383View attachment 789384View attachment 789385View attachment 789386View attachment 789387View attachment 789388View attachment 789389

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry for the double post.

And I used double sided carpet tape to attach that dome, seems to be about right.

Tablespoons aint round. Seen from head on Lukes topper whatever it is its a circle.

Ah, so the Jawa one is a Transcriptor disc. Can't believe I hadn't noticed before since I've had that many of them!

But many measuring spoons are.

Something like these: https://www.amazon.de/Messlöffel-ro...&qid=1516788635&sr=8-1&keywords=messlöffelset

I think too that´s what was used. On some other above pics there is just the original bulb adapter that can be seen (the insert with the hole).

measuring spoons sure are but that’s not what the op said. I along with many other folks made tops from measuring spoons for years. In fact I used a measuring spoon as the basis for my resin topper I’ve sold for years.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back