Novice at kit building and finishing. What all do I need to finish a kit?

bogginhead

I have one of rgriesbeck's Deckard Blaster kits on the way, and I'm trying to figure out everything I'll need to make this thing come out alright. Paints, glues, sandpaper, etc? I have nothing at the moment. What all would you guys use?

Plasti-fill putty/filler, 2-in-1 sandable filler primer by Rust-Oleum. Primers and paints (spray paint, enamels, acrylics, whatever tickles your fancy). Also a few exacto knives and blades, as well as lots of higher-grit (180-200) sand paper blocks/sponges.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

I like to use 3M automotive sandpaper. Comes in a black rectangular sleeve and is usually stocked wherever the Bondo is stocked. Lasts way longer and performs better than woodworking sandpaper. More flexible. Can be blown out and continually re-used.

Also, I use a "Hyper Tough" brand rotary tool from Wal-Mart. The one that comes as a 106 piece kit for about $20 ($14 as of this post). It performs like the $75-$100 corded Dremels and takes Dremel accessories.

Get some hand files, needle files, etc. Sometimes you do not need the rotary-tool, just a quick file or something that needs a delicate touch.

In addition to what's been listed above: Patience. Never rush on a build, it may take longer, be more frustrating, but the end result is always better for it. That and have fun doing it.

All the tools listed above with a good, dedicated, uninterrupted space to work with adequate lighting
and take plenty of pictures for future reference.
If your going to use X-Acto blades, you may need band-aids :)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back