The 89 MattMobile Build Thread.

Do you still have the Mattmobile or has it been passed on yet?

Such a great build and loved the updates until........ well you know:cry

I was wondering the same thing. I had just assumed the car had been sold and this project was kaput. I was thrilled to see Matt's recent post. Maybe the MattMobile lives on!

removing rivets?

Not even close! your no-prize is on its way.

- - - Updated - - -

You’ve hired an Italian guy named Mario to smash it with a flashing blue mallet?

Im more of a "drive it off a cliff" guy myself.

- - - Updated - - -

Is it a bad translation. MONKEY KONG ending up as Donkey Kong....

Mattmobile/Batmobile?

Or..... your memory of both 80's icons have been tarnished due to recent experiences?

Or..... both had monkeys involved in them. And one was worse off for it. I HATE DONKEY KONG!

Not really but..... you know.

Do you still have the Mattmobile or has it been passed on yet?

Such a great build and loved the updates until........ well you know:cry

all good guesses, but no hits! Also thank you for being so kind :D

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm, Donkey Kong has 4 stages that you play repeatedly with each iteration becoming more difficult.

Since you already attempted one Mattmobile, have you bought three new project cars with each to be turned into a more challenging Mattmobile? ;)

though that is ENTIRELY plausible given my history... it is not accurate :D

A part of the Donkey Kong arcade game is in the cockpit of the Batmobile?

Joystick used to move the seat back/forth, up/down? ;)

Who among you is familiar with the game Donkey Kong?

And who would like to guess what this game has in common with the Mattmobile project?

Is this a misdirection? Nothing to do with the game Donkey Kong itself but the arcade concept?

Are you building THIS?!
12528211548560.jpg penguin-batmobile.jpg

Perhaps my sense of humor is too wacky. The thing that the MattMobile has in common with Donkey Kong is...

ITS ON!!

you know...

It’s on like Donkey Kong???

Anyone? Is this thing on???? :)

But yes. The project is back on. Thank you for posting the link to my facebook page for the project. More has been completed in the last three months than the last three years combined. So I am feeling as optimistic as a man who fails regularly can feel!!

Please like the mattmobile page so you get notified when I post updates.

And if you want to see all the other nonsense I have been up to in my life, check out my instagram MattMunsonfit.

My health was in a really bad place a year ago and basically I was near death. I am now down 92 lbs, can walk again, and all my bloodwork is coming back super good.

Anyhow. Onward and upward.

Last edited:
Oh WOW! I must have been living in a cave, Matt i did not realize the build had risen! I am so pumped to see this is back, and you are at it again! So-Freak'n-Excellent! :popcorn

As long as you are back, and enjoying the build that's all that matters. Its the journey right?

Thank you again! Glad to still be making progress.

Though I gotta confess I disagree with the last bit. The journey STARTED out as fun. Now it's just a nightmare. I think I said it a year ago: If I would have known then what I know now, I would have just gone to an auction and purchased a completed car. This build has turned mostly into an exercise in learning that people cannot be trusted, especially with your money. I'm still hopeful for a hail mary, but man over the years I have just been ripped off and robbed blind more times than I care to admit. :(

IN BRIGHTER NEWS, I have a new update to my blog with more side mech progress. Nothing really spectacular to see, just progress on the various parts.

https://mattmunson.blogspot.com/2018/10/batmobile-side-mech-progress.html

Thank you again! Glad to still be making progress.

Though I gotta confess I disagree with the last bit. The journey STARTED out as fun. Now it's just a nightmare. I think I said it a year ago: If I would have known then what I know now, I would have just gone to an auction and purchased a completed car. This build has turned mostly into an exercise in learning that people cannot be trusted, especially with your money. I'm still hopeful for a hail mary, but man over the years I have just been ripped off and robbed blind more times than I care to admit. :(

IN BRIGHTER NEWS, I have a new update to my blog with more side mech progress. Nothing really spectacular to see, just progress on the various parts.

https://mattmunson.blogspot.com/2018/10/batmobile-side-mech-progress.html

Very sorry to hear that Matt. I can't imagine anything worse than someone taking the love out of a project like this. I wish you nothing but the best, and if there is anything this geek can do to help you out in some way just say the word. If I can help I will.

Very sorry to hear that Matt. I can't imagine anything worse than someone taking the love out of a project like this. I wish you nothing but the best, and if there is anything this geek can do to help you out in some way just say the word. If I can help I will.

VERY kind of you to say, good sir. I of course blame myself for not being omnipotent, but that's a longstanding lament, now that I think about it.

I think there's also a real lesson to be learned about "sizing" of a project. Any time I am interviewed about the mattmobile, or really any time I get into a discussion about it, I tell the story of how I THOUGHT my R2 build was a good primer for the mattmobile. I figured it would be maybe an order of magnitude bigger and/or more complex. Turns out I was way off, and I also thought it would be a manageable challenge. I just really didn't have any kind of accurate sense of JUST HOW MUCH work it is to build a car from scratch, even when you have a donor and a shell. Stripping the car down and acquiring a shell I would say is probably 5% of the total work involved in building a good looking batmobile. I had no idea.

Which is why I have hired out for the bulk of the build. I'm doing little bits of work here and there, and at the end of the day my main contribution to this build will be that I tore down the donor, and basically served as a parts collector. The credit for the actual build will go to someone else.

Not really a build update, but I'm REALLY happy to show off some videos and pics I got of the Affleck car. I also FINALLY recovered my password to my Project Work Bench youtube channel, and should probably start making updates again. Stay tuned! If you haven't already subscribed to my channel, please do!!

Matt, that's an awesome video! Getting to sit in the thing is very cool.

Here's the commercial, for anyone interested:

The Ecto may be there for only a brief on-road moment, but it looks damn cool. The Ecto and KITT give me absolute nerdgasms (sorry).

Anyone else notice the green smoke surrounding the Mystery Machine? :D

Thanks for posting the commercial, sir! After watching it a few times, I realize they left the "button" off it. In the print and media ads, they have text that says something like "It doesn't matter what kind of car you drive, you can always get your groceries at wal mart" WHICH MAKES TOTAL SENSE of everything that happens in the commercial. But without it, it's just kind of eye candy with no real reason or purpose behind it. But hey what do I know I'm not making 10 million dollar commercials. lol

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back