2001 Discovery from Moebius

Having used Montana diamond grey previously I too looked for alternatives. Vallejo air range includes an insignia white, which looks to me to be whiter than your test, Adam, but a touch of their white grey gives a close match to the diamond grey of my AJA Aries. I will test a touch of bone white or aged white with insignia white which may be a warmer adjustment than white grey . At present my intention is to fix on a base colour/mix and follow Adam's advice to darken the base progressively for other shades.

Hi ajamodels, I'm working on my Discovery and let me compliment and thank you for an OUTSTANDING job designing this kit. Near perfection in plastic. And I can't wait to see this build progress. It's looking great already.

Since you are an authority on reference, I do have one question that's confused me on a couple of shots I've seen of the movie models. On the view labled "left rear" on the color reference image you posted above, there are an array of what look like antennae or support rods along the back edge of the command sphere adapter ring. That's the only image I've seen with them. Any idea what they are and if they were in any of the actual film shots? Just curious if it's a detail worthy of adding or researching, or just something that wasn't used in the film.

Thanks again and keep up the inspirational work.

Bill

On the view labled "left rear" on the color reference image you posted above, there are an array of what look like antennae or support rods along the back edge of the command sphere adapter ring. That's the only image I've seen with them. Any idea what they are and if they were in any of the actual film shots? Just curious if it's a detail worthy of adding or researching, or just something that wasn't used in the film.

That was a cage of bars built onto the model that was removed prior to filming. Kubrick apparently decided he didn't like it.

- nkg

Just finished off the build part of this ,readying for the base grey paint. I've altered some things on the engine and added finer panel lines on the Command module, but other than that its a beautiful ship and kit. I'll post some pics if my photobucket account still works.

Last edited:
That was a cage of bars built onto the model that was removed prior to filming. Kubrick apparently decided he didn't like it.

- nkg

Thanks NKG, I guess has I took the time to read thru this thread I would have seen that was mentioned earlier. Sorry about that.

So far I'm really impressed with the engineering of this kit. IF I HAD to criticize one thing on it, and it's minor, is that the part to sprue connections are a bit beefy and a few not ideally located. I'm sure some of them might have to be, but some seem a little over done for no good reason. Like I said, the fit of the kit more than makes up for that minor gripe, but to be completely fair you have to know the "bad" as well. Still give it 2 thumbs up...way up.

Bill

Have found offerings by Paragrafix to be first rate.
The issue with their two Discovery separate interiors is you can't use all of both simultaneously. Should you choose to use PE for the pod bay, you cannot use the Airlock PE which comes with the cockpit sheet. These sheets are not inexpensive and you can't buy just the cockpit alone. The pod bay is far more visible but I'd still like to have the cockpit detail. Alas...

Have found offerings by Paragrafix to be first rate.
The issue with their two Discovery separate interiors is you can't use all of both simultaneously. Should you choose to use PE for the pod bay, you cannot use the Airlock PE which comes with the cockpit sheet. These sheets are not inexpensive and you can't buy just the cockpit alone. The pod bay is far more visible but I'd still like to have the cockpit detail. Alas...

Can you use the pod bay details and the cockpit details at the same time? Just not the pod bay and airlock together?

Just Joined imgur ,so if these don't work right bear with me. Cracked it

hrdZ7Db.jpg

Some engine body modifications ,not much really but it looks slightly closer to the screen used build.

81xa1jA.jpg

HazzxT3.jpg

Again some slight modifications to the command sphere. I infilled the panel lines and then narrowed and deepened them, some others I will ink in once the painting is done. Carved some detail into the sphere so its again like the screen shots.

O5xNov7.jpg

BGS3DSJ.jpg

The head is detachable as I'm going for the bridge only and will light it, so it easy just to twist and lift the head off the neck. The joints quite firm and tight. I just had a disk cut out of acrylic and carved a bit off the neck so everything just slots in. Anyone in the UK want to do the same just PM me I have a couple spare.

Will start painting it next week with the warmer weather due. Lovely kit. When its all together it looks great.

Last edited:
What the hey? Is that a new Japanese kit? My wife just ordered the Moebius for my birthday... :confused

Congratulations.

The tweet was posted by the president of Kaiyodo, A Japanese manufacturer of figurines and models.

Kaiyodo is not a gigantic toy company like Bandai or Hasbro. Kaiyodo was originally a resin kit maker specializing in Sci-Fi / tokusatsu items, after which it evolved into a company which mainly produces pre-painted figurines of all sorts.

http://kaiyodo.co.jp/items/lineup/

Kaiyodo is regarded to be best at making creatures, animals, figures and vignettes, and to my knowledge, not a maker of styrene kits.
So may be they are venturing in to a new product line with the Discovery.

The tweet teases that they might be able to make an official announcement at the Wonder Festival, which shall be held on 29th July.

Sorry for being off topic, but I assumed the tweet would be most interesting to the watchers of this thread.

Frank Windspur did say he was only given a two year licence to produce 2001 items, it may be that with the sale of Moebius Models to Pegasus Hobbies the licence is now void and open to new licencees.

Frank Windspur did say he was only given a two year licence to produce 2001 items, it may be that with the sale of Moebius Models to Pegasus Hobbies the licence is now void and open to new licencees.

Hope that's not true. I'm still hoping for an Aries and Space Station V models.

A two year licence seems bizarrely short to me. He’s expected to invest a ton into researching and developing his injection tools, and then has a mere two years to recoup the costs? Or is it an exclusive for two years after which others can enter the space?

A two year licence seems bizarrely short to me. He’s expected to invest a ton into researching and developing his injection tools, and then has a mere two years to recoup the costs? Or is it an exclusive for two years after which others can enter the space?

From what I remember Frank saying, he was lucky to get the licence in the first place. I also remember that was an exclusive for the duration of the licence. Keep in mind that Frank already had the Moon Bus and Shuttle kits done.

Hopefully, someone from Moebius will be at Wonderfest and can clear things up. Even better, hopefully someone from Moebius will announce, "Next spring we'll be releasing a 1/144 Aries with full interior." :)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back