X-wing Fighter 1/72 bandai on the kitchen table

WOW ! ... :p

Congratulations Ross , you gotta admit your Snowspeeder turned out pretty sweet looking regardless of the ... ‘ flaws ‘ ... your apology’s not warranted mate .

IIRC the area where you’re planning to place this diorama is enclosed on three sides with a ceiling ( of sorts ) included , so the exposed components can be somewhat ‘ staged ‘ to show off their best attributes , and the scratched Snowy is certainly worth showing off ! ;) Love the way you’ve got her lit up and not over weathered her too ! .
It leaves it to the lucky ( first hand ) viewers imaginations as to what the other models / ships are capable of doing !

Can’ t wait to see where you’re taking us next !

:cheersGed

p.s. Yeah , I’ve been following @Keiko’s Tie Bomber Build form early on , even caught up with his X - wing thread because of it .
I couldn’t believe the skill , patience and dedication he’s put into his ‘ recreations ‘ , plus his interesting tips and ‘ how to ‘ techniques thrown in for good measure !:eek
He’s in a different class alright - talking scratch builds , but his personality is pretty similar to yours - if you both don’t mind me saying ...
Both open , honest , friendly and patient in sharing with people who’re interested in gaining knowledge from their experiences in this hobby ... :)... for which I’m most grateful .

Last edited:
It looks really great with the lights on in the cockpit. That's just the kind of touch that will bring everything to life throughout the depth of the hangar. Very nicely done! Ged is right on too - you don't even have to hide the wires, they'll just look like an other detail in the diorama. I might even consider building some sort of box to hide the battery in plain sight within.

You guys are really making me blush, too. I guess when I look back on my own build, it does look impressive, but it is more than anything, the long term accumulation of many small steps done in a row. Most of those steps are not particularly difficult. Patience and sticking with it are the biggest assets to any modeler. If you want to see real scratchbuilding, check out Haystack Hair's insane 1/72 Falcon.

Keep on going gt350pony66! I can't wait to see what you do next.

Cheers,

K.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Keiko :thumbsup I appreciate the thumbs up from a meticulous mad-man like you :lol I'm confident that each successive scratch effort will improve. I think I'm going to build a power junction of sorts to run several thinks to as I plan to run this dio off of a 12 adapter so I can plug it into the wall and use a remote to turn it all on, no battery replacements.
Your most certainly correct about Haystack, he's amazing, I was following his thread on the kit he created with anticipation of it's availability. My 5th falcon is a combo of his kit and shapeways pieces and I'm quite happy with the results. Your build is absolute genius I have to say, and quite inspiring, top work my friend :thumbsup
It looks really great with the lights on in the cockpit. That's just the kind of touch that will bring everything to life throughout the depth of the hangar. Very nicely done! Ged is right on too - you don't even have to hide the wires, they'll just look like an other detail in the diorama. I might even consider building some sort of box to hide the battery in plain sight within.

You guys are really making me blush, too. I guess when I look back on my own build, it does look impressive, but it is more than anything, the long term accumulation of many small steps done in a row. Most of those steps are not particularly difficult. Patience and sticking with it are the biggest assets to any modeler. If you want to see real scratchbuilding, check out Haystack Hair's insane 1/72 Falcon.

Keep on going @gt350pony66! I can't wait to see what you do next.

Cheers,

K.

Many thanks Ged :thumbsup I appreciate the encouragement, I think it will display well. If I didn't have some much left to get to for this project I'd probably commit more time to correcting the flaws, but for now it'll do. Say, on one of my last google searches for images of the snowy, I ran across something I've not seen before, it looks like a "maintenance cart" if you will, and as many times as I've watched ESB, I've never noticed one before. Have you seen these? Or is it something someone made up? maint cart.jpeg
WOW ! ... :p

Congratulations Ross , you gotta admit your Snowspeeder turned out pretty sweet looking regardless of the ... ‘ flaws ‘ ... your apology’s not warranted mate .

IIRC the area where you’re planning to place this diorama is enclosed on three sides with a ceiling ( of sorts ) included , so the exposed components can be somewhat ‘ staged ‘ to show off their best attributes , and the scratched Snowy is certainly worth showing off ! ;) Love the way you’ve got her lit up and not over weathered her too ! .
It leaves it to the lucky ( first hand ) viewers imaginations as to what the other models / ships are capable of doing !

Can’ t wait to see where you’re taking us next !

p.s. Yeah , I’ve been following @Keiko’s Tie Bomber Build form early on , even caught up with his X - wing thread because of it .
I couldn’t believe the skill , patience and dedication he’s put into his ‘ recreations ‘ , plus his interesting tips and ‘ how to ‘ techniques thrown in for good measure !:eek
He’s in a different class alright - talking scratch builds , but his personality is pretty similar to yours - if you both don’t mind me saying ...
Both open , honest , friendly and patient in sharing with people who’re interested in gaining knowledge from their experiences in this hobby ... :)... for which I’m most grateful .

So my hunch was correct, not an original piece to the movie, I built one this afternoon. I guess I’ll mull over whether or not to actually use it. Thanks for the info brother

Hey Ross ,

Sorry I didn’t reply earlier , it’s a time difference thing :facepalm

If you haven’t already , you should check out the site @nkg ‘ linked ‘ (?) .
I’d followed that build earlier too , this gentleman - Andy also exhibits ‘ Mad Scratching / Modelling ‘ skills !

An alternative to using one of those beautiful ‘ trolleys ‘, if it’s a practical time issue ? ... How about using a single clear perspex type rod ( small diameter & height ) judicially placed holding her up off the floor ? ... It’d give the illusion that her repulsors were being used whilst undergoing maintenance !;)

Last edited:
No worries brother, I know there must be at least 4 or 5 hours difference or there abouts...maybe 6 or 7 :lol I think you're probably right about the clear rod, someone mentioned that before and that was the plan till I stumbled on the trolley thing. It's all done but the wheels, or caster rather...and the box on the front and cables.. I only spent a couple hours on it. I think I'll finish it out though, just for the scratch practice. Perhaps I'll use it for something else "mobile" in the dio. Be a shame to waste it. I attempted to click that link nkg left but my iPhone wouldn't connect, so I'll click it and take a look to see what's there. RPF is the bomb for model stuff, but can't be the only one. However, nary will I stray from the RPF, this is home :thumbsup
Hey Ross ,

Sorry I didn’t reply earlier , it’s a time difference thing :facepalm

If you haven’t already , you should check out the site @nkg ‘ linked ‘ (?) .
I’d followed that build earlier too , this gentleman - Andy also exhibits ‘ Mad Scratching / Modelling ‘ skills !

An alternative to using one of those beautiful ‘ trolleys ‘, if it’s a practical time issue ? ... How about using a single clear perspex type rod ( small diameter & height ) judicially placed holding her up off the floor ? ... It’d give the illusion that her repulsors were being used whilst undergoing maintenance !;)

Every time I check your thread I am always amazed! I still can't believe you (and others) light these little guys... again wow!

My 'fleet' is starting to grow :)
Eventually I'll have all the rebel ships but I wanted to see the X-Wing in scale with a few things so I am working on a F4U-$ Corsair, F-4 Phantom, F-18, and a Viper Mk II right now (all at once :) ) I decided I need a few more X-Wings lol... When I get the PG Falcon done I want to do a Rebel base hanger bay and the real war birds just wouldn't look right sitting in that... so at least one more X-Wing right?!

Question, if I missed this in this thread I apologize- Are you planning on doing a hangar bay and if so what will you be doing for the floor and walls?

No worries brother, I know there must be at least 4 or 5 hours difference or there abouts...maybe 6 or 7 :lol I think you're probably right about the clear rod, someone mentioned that before and that was the plan till I stumbled on the trolley thing. It's all done but the wheels, or caster rather...and the box on the front and cables.. I only spent a couple hours on it. I think I'll finish it out though, just for the scratch practice. Perhaps I'll use it for something else "mobile" in the dio. Be a shame to waste it. I attempted to click that link nkg left but my iPhone wouldn't connect, so I'll click it and take a look to see what's there. RPF is the bomb for model stuff, but can't be the only one. However, nary will I stray from the RPF, this is home :thumbsup

We’re approximately 15hrs ahead of Los Angeles here in Perth , not sure what if any time difference is between L.A. and Arizona ?
All I’m sure of is that when the postings are busy / active across the RPF threads , it’s usually late evening / early morning over here ! ...
Re ; the clear rod stand / support , that was mentioned by me back in post. #116 :lol.
Whole heartedly agree with using the trolley you’ve already built . Have you considered using it with one of the ‘ lesser ‘ resin speeders ? ;)
It would ‘ breakup ‘ the way the vehicles were displayed in the diorama , and you’ll be specifically showcasing your work on more than one that way !
I visit ( modelling ) sites where my ‘ google-ing ‘ takes me when searching out more info.,:confused but , I’ll admit to interacting /posting more on the RPF then anywhere else too :lol!!!

p.s. @whb64 - check out post #119 . He’s doing a Hoth Echo Base dio.

Last edited:
trolley1.jpegtrolley2.jpegtrolley3.jpegtrolley4.jpegtrolley5.jpegtrolley6.jpegok, well tell me...was this a waste of 7 to 8 hours time? I don't know what scale the one is on Britmodeller, but at 1/72 with no scavenged parts, it was cumbersome. I should probably save my next effort in scratching for something more "worth while"

Looks pretty good Ross :thumbsup,... was it worth the time and effort , well that’s up to you mate ( I think it’s cool ) .
I’m sure it’ll add to the overall maintenance aspect of the setting .:)

The trolley was originally built for the 1/48 Bandai model , so your attempt at 1/72 just going of images (?) is pretty awesome !

Thanks Ged, appreciate the thumbs up. Yeah, I went off that one pic I posted earlier. measured where it looked like it should fit under the speeder and went from there. I think it tapers a tad too much in the front, but, it fits under the speeder well. I think I'm going to follow the originator of this item, display one of the resin units on it with pieces laying around it. I found his thread and the finished pics, impressive work that fella!
Looks pretty good Ross :thumbsup,... was it worth the time and effort , well that’s up to you mate ( I think it’s cool ) .
I’m sure it’ll add to the overall maintenance aspect of the setting .:)

The trolley was originally built for the 1/48 Bandai model , so your attempt at 1/72 just going of images (?) is pretty awesome !

hey, sorry for the delay...I replied to your post on my Iphone but it doesn't look like it posted it :facepalm I was thinking of some good quality bedding foam that won't yellow out. but yes, Echo base diorama indeed :thumbsup I'll have 4 snowspeeders and 4 Xwings if there's enough room in the space I have to work with. if there isn't enough space I'll commit one Xwing to airborne and have a Tie that I have (waiting it's turn) chasing it from the ceiling. though lighting would be a tricky thing unless I use coin batteries and a remote. Then of course there is the Falcon, I have the MPC there now, heavily modified with aftermarket parts, probably 60% is non stock parts, and it runs off a 9V and a tiny toggle switch. However I have a PG Falcon in the closet, waiting for Tony 308 Bits to finish his design for the ESB landing gear, and that one will be wall socket 12V adapter like these other things are now. that way I can turn on the whole diorama with one remote. that's the plan anyway, in the broad strokes.
Every time I check your thread I am always amazed! I still can't believe you (and others) light these little guys... again wow!

My 'fleet' is starting to grow :)
Eventually I'll have all the rebel ships but I wanted to see the X-Wing in scale with a few things so I am working on a F4U-$ Corsair, F-4 Phantom, F-18, and a Viper Mk II right now (all at once :) ) I decided I need a few more X-Wings lol... When I get the PG Falcon done I want to do a Rebel base hanger bay and the real war birds just wouldn't look right sitting in that... so at least one more X-Wing right?!

Question, if I missed this in this thread I apologize- Are you planning on doing a hangar bay and if so what will you be doing for the floor and walls?

Thanks Korben,

This is one of my favorite, if not the most of any in all the films. I've always wanted to do this dio. Also, this will be my first dio ever. However, given that they take up space I can likely only do this one. When I was a single fella, I had my whole house to myself...but now I must share :wacko:lol
Looks amazing, man! Getting me inspired to do my own diorama.

If I were ever to get around to, and the means to, I'd love to add on a hobby room just the other side of the living room. I figure about 350 to 400 square feet...but getting past the HOA and the cost of course, is another matter. :eek
Looks amazing, man! Getting me inspired to do my own diorama.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back